UAG Reserves vs. U-23's [R]

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by beineke, Jan 27, 2004.

1. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    2-2 in a hack-fest; El Mural says we played a 4-3-3 but doesn't list any players apart from the ones below.

Convey 13'
    Abreu 15' Pen (foul on Whitbread)
    Abreu 52' (between Warren's legs)
    Beasley 58' (assist from Convey)

Donovan and a Mexican defender were sent off for a tussle. And in case anyone's wondering, Abreu is "El Loco" Abreu, the well-known Uruguayan international.

2. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
  3. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    UAG = University Autonoma de Guadalajara

everyone calls them "Tecos," they play in the Mexican top flight, a team always in the bottom of the rankings but in the last season they made a comeback and now are doing very good.

4. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I sure hope that donovan gets sharper. If he got thrown out that means he is in his f"rustration stage." It seemed like all last year if he didnt get things going his way without him making the effort he would fight with players, take dives etc. He hasn't produce much since joining the under 23's in the jan camp or now..

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :rolleyes:

6. El Loco played in a reserve match? He must be coming off an injury or something.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious how you know this.

8. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I believe the technical term is called "talking out of your ass"...

I could be wrong though..

9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Buddle get hurt playing this game? Men, things are starting to look a bit too shaky ....No Clark, Buddle, no great experience on defense.....

10. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i think we're screwed. say goodbye to athens folks.

by the way, is there any way we can get kenny cooper?

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    good to see we are giving up before the games even start...

sure as hell glad you're not around the team. we'll be fine...

12. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    A couple more reviews are in ... El Sol de Puebla says we have a "solid" team, but La Opinion says we're "excessively structured and ... rely, above all, on the excellent physical condition of our players."

13. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    defense?

Lots of talk about attacking players but we scored two goals. Any concerns about the defense and GK that gave up two goals apparently set up by a foul and a ball through the GK's legs? I don't care who we a playing or who's in the line up, this team should be much sharper at this point with qualifing upon us. Mooch what's up?

14. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    Re: defense?

I remember when the Men's team lost to an A-league team just before going to Kore. The point? Don't panic.

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    and in preparation for WC finals in 1998, Mexico got beat by a mexican college side....

16. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: defense?

That was a tie, I believe, 1-1 v. the Richmond Kickers. But still, a good point. The result of a scrimmage like this doesn't mean jack.

17. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: defense?

Okay I get it, they will just turn it on when it matters. I think that was Brazil's plan last week with Paraguay now they can watch the Olympics on TV. I'm just saying this isn't a good sign.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: defense?

Good point. Qualifiers are exactly like friendlies.

19. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Wouldn't it be nice if there were a little English-language coverage of the game?

Anyway, a couple of relatively interesting bits from Ovaciones ...

The Tecos coach said, "It was a very hard game, with a lot of rhythm. It's the kind of game that I like, very similar to an official one."

Donovan said, "Right now we're physically ready. We need to get more strikes on goal, but if we play the way we've been playing, we'll have a chance to get to the Olympics." Donovan also indicated that he's willing to play for América in Copa Libertadores.

20. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    This kind of match looks like VERY good preparation for the qualifying tournament. Well done to whomever scheduled it. Is there another friendly or two scheduled?

21. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Myernick said they had two friendlies scheduled, but I haven't seen any info about the other one.

News report today said Beasley and Convey sat out practice, but that it was nothing serious. Donovan talked about how the team's finishing is rusty from the off-season, so that's been a focal point in training.

22. M.T. Nets

M.T. Nets New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    I believe that the next game is set for Thursday but I do not know who they will be playing. Gives them one last chance go hard before the game on the 3rd.

23. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Re: defense?

I think you watch too much college soccer. :) Our boys are gonna pound whoever we play in the opening game. Arena is the master of preparation, and this will have filtered down to Myernick.