Uab

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by CG, Jul 29, 2002.

1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Where are their recruits? Less than a month before the first game and NOTHING!

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got an email from someone today saying that they signed Sandy Gbandi, brother of Dallas Burn player and 2002 MLS SuperDraft No. 1 pick Chris Gbandi.

Assuming Sandy plays near Chris' ability, that seems a pretty good signing.

Plus, UAB is returning tons of players. As long as we have enough to beat St. Louis again, I'm happy :D

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additionally, not that this says too much, but thought you would find it interesting. These are the preseaon rankings. Hopefully, we'll do a bit better than this:

[​IMG]

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, UABs recruiting class wasn't even ranked in the top 40 for this year. :(

5. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

It probably wasn't ranked because they don't know who is in it!

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    details, details.

7. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Don't hold your breath!

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've taken you down several times prior (last year included) and these were no flukes!

9. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Flukes no upsets yes! I believe the overall series record stands @ SLU leading by the count of,

8 wins 4 losses and 1 tie.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am happy with that, because UAB is an emerging power while St. Louis is established. Best of luck to you guys this year.

11. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Best of luck to you guys also!

12. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Speaking of St. Louis, I was wondering what your thoughts were on this upcoming year. We lost a ton of points (davis and dipsy), strong defensive work (Tappel and Hill), and a great goalie (politis). Jewsbury should step up this year and contribute if he doesn't cut his foot again, Hammes will be back on defense, and the Clemson transfer should be a good goalie. But who's gonna fill in at center mid and up top? Walls seems to always lack something at forward. He did have a brilliant goal against UNC last year, but other than that he doesn't show up often. I know the recruits from Texas all played for Solar 84, one of the top club teams in the nation and the St. Louis boys come from some strong high school tradition, but is anyone going to make an impact? It seems like we didn't get a recruit like a McBride, Filla, Mckeon, or Davis.

Otherwise, I got my season tickets and can't wait for the exhibition against UCLA.

13. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Saint Louis picked up a ton of new talent the signings are below, the 3 major Saint Louis signings will all start in the midfield most probably. SLU will most likely line-up in a 3-5-2 formation with a lot of off the ball movement and they will be FAST!

the new SLU line-up will look a lot like this,

---------------Martin Hutton

------Cole--------Hammes---------- Pusateri

McKee-----------Kirchoff--Gannon---------Wynn

--------------------Hopson

--------Walls--------------Jewsbury

To answer your questions on whom will replace whom in the line-up the Captain of the team Joe Hammes will anchor the back line coming off his Red-Shirt injury season with the very offensive minded Jason Cole and Andy Pusateri manning the wide overlapping back spots. The midfield will be young but extremely quick with 3 freshmen starters in the Saint Louis kids Wynn, McKee and Kyle Hopson backed up by the 2 defensive midfielders Mike Kirchoff and Nick Gannon. Up top you have a lot of experience and fire power with 2 power forwards whom both have tremendous skill on the ball in Nick Walls a Parade High School All-American and top 25 recruit who is poised for a break out season and All American and Hermann Trophy candidate Jack Jewsbury.

The bench will have a lot of depth although it will be an inexperienced depth with the 3 Dallas Texas Solar club team freshman along with Loren Reinhart and Alberto Platas from Spain and the other new Saint Louis area freshmen kids whom all look to make a contribution.

Eddie Parker F 5-10 155 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Lutheran South)

Cooper McKee MF 5-11 170 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Chaminade)

Gavin Minnis MF 5-9 175 FR Dallas, Texas (Coppell)

Jason Vilmer B 6-0 170 FR St. Louis, Mo.
    (St. Mary's)

Danny Wynn MF 5-10 150 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Chaminade)

David Greathouse GK 6-0 175 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Whitfield)

Kyle Hopson MF 5-9 160 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Oakville)

Ryan Wileman MF 5-10 180 FR Grand Prairie, Texas (Grand Prairie)

Pat Kelly GK 6-0 175 FR St. Louis, Mo.
    (Christian Bros.)

Patrick Garcia MF 5-8 145 FR Dallas, Texas (Naaman Forest)

Andrew Moses MF 5-9 150 FR St. Louis, Mo. (Chaminade)

14. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why do you have Pusateri at back? He's played halfback since he's been here and his speed on the ball is great. Cole will keep the other team honest with his outside runs out of the back as you said. Walls...man I don't know. He has done little to back up his high school status thus far. He seems to tire to fast, although he has great speed on the ball. Jewsbury is jewsbury and I hope he has a tremendous season.

Why do you have all the St. louis recruits at midfield? I don't know much about them. And you don't think any Texas recruits will start...why?

Last, you stress speed....I see it with Cole, Pusateri and Walls. Where else is it?

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you guys think you should maybe start your own St. Louis thread? It doesn't bother me, but if you want other St. Louis-ites to chime in, they probably aren't going to be looking in the UAB thread.

16. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    UAB transfer to UNC

nicodemus, know anything about the UAB transfer to UNC Ty Wilcox? He's listed as a 6'4" 195 keeper .... I guess he was playing behind Baumstark and they were both rising sophs. I'm guessing he probably saw the handwriting on the wall relative to PT vs Clint for the next 3 years.

The UNC press release said: "Wilcox is a transfer who played last season at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, where he started three games in goal in 2001. Wilcox enters Carolina with sophmore eligibility."

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the only reason he even got in those games is because Baumstark got hurt. Baumstark is pretty much an animal, so it certainly isn't a slight to be playing behind him. I personally don't remember too much about him. Pvan4 in this thread could certainly answer you better. I know the guy and he's quite analytical and often remembers details about players that don't play very much. If he doesn't respond in a day or two, I would PM him.

18. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I didn't know that he transferred. Just goes to show how informative UAB keeps it's fans. I do remember him coming on and playing in the last few games after Baumstark's injury. I seem to remember that he acquitted himself well making a couple of big saves in one game. However, I've seen many UAB Gks through the years and I think Clint has a chance to be the best and that includes Loukas Papaconstintinou who played for Darlington.

19. collegesoccerfan#1

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    nicodemus and pvan4, thanks for the info. :)

According to the UNC website, their keeper position is up for grabs with Michael Ueltschey's graduation.

20. Carolina

Carolina Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CONCACAF
    UNC has signed Freshman keeper Ford Williams with a lot of Youth National Team experience, but I know they are concerned about the position. Ford will be away with the U20 National Team for some significant parts of this fall season.

21. collegesoccerfan#1

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    Wilcox at UNC

First, apologies to the UAB folks for continuing off topic. Here's an excerpt from a Q&A with the UNC coach regarding the keeper position where he mentions Williams and references Wilcox indirectly.

"On Replacing Four-Year Starter Michael Ueltschey at Goalkeeper:
    "The starting job in goal will be up for grabs. That was even the case when Michael was here until he solidified his hold on the job by stepping up and playing so well. He claimed it and he earned it, and one of our three keepers will have to do that this year.

"Ford Williams probably has the most experience of any of our three keepers, although he's only a freshman. He's played with the Under-20 U.S. National Team, so he has an advantage over the other two guys because they have not yet played consistently on a competitive level."

Carolina, how much of the season will Williams miss, and would Wilcox be the logical choice to step in, assuming he doesn't win the job outright?

22. Carolina

Carolina Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CONCACAF
    I'm not sure about Ford Williams time away, but heard U20 commitments included some regular season and dates during at least the ACC Tournament. The only other keeper on their roster is Junior Jay Batt who only saw 15 minutes of action in 1 game last year. It seems pretty wide open.

23. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    UAB finally lists recruits!

Here are the four signees for Mike Getman's Blazer squad. Anybody with in-depth info please post:

Keith Borgner- a 6'4" goalkeeper, is a member of the Georgia state ODP team. An Evans, Ga. native, Borgner played his high school soccer at Greenbriar High School. While in high school, Borgner was a two-time captain and defensive MVP. His size and quickness will help add depth and competition to the UAB goalkeepers.

Sandy Gbandi - a defender from Houston, Texas native who recently scored the game-winning goal in the championship game to lead the Houston Texan soccer club to the 2002 National Championship. He was also a participant in the prestigious adidas ESP camp. His older brother, Chris Gabandi, was a two-time National Player of the Year, led Conecticut to a National Championship and was the No.1 pick for the Dallas Burn of the MLS. Despite being recruited hard by the Huskies, Gbandi chose to come to UAB over soccer powers such as UConn and Furman.

Dennis Umanzor- a marking back from Houston Texas, Umanzor was an All-Star at Adidas ESP in 2000 and was a product of the same Houstonians Soccer Club that produced current Blazers such as Flavio Montiero, Jose Rayo, Oswaldo Gallegos, and Nnamdi and Amechi Ngwe. Dennis is a hard-nosed marking back with strong individual ball skills that could compete for playing time right away.

Robert Sheringham- a wide midfielder from Islip, New York, Sheringham is the younger brother of former UAB standout John Sheringham. Robert was selected to the 2001 Long Island Select Team and was a two-time captain of Islip High School. Also a track athlete in high school, Sheringham should add pace and depth to the Blazer midfield.

24. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    UAB's 2002 signees are:

Keith Borgner- a 6'4" goalkeeper, is a member of the Georgia state ODP team. An Evans, Ga. native, Borgner played his high school soccer at Greenbriar High School. While in high school, Borgner was a two-time captain and defensive MVP. His size and quickness will help add depth and competition to the UAB goalkeepers.

Sandy Gbandi - a defender from Houston, Texas native who recently scored the game-winning goal in the championship game to lead the Houston Texan soccer club to the 2002 National Championship. He was also a participant in the prestigious adidas ESP camp. His older brother, Chris Gabandi, was a two-time National Player of the Year, led Conecticut to a National Championship and was the No.1 pick for the Dallas Burn of the MLS. Despite being recruited hard by the Huskies, Gbandi chose to come to UAB over soccer powers such as UConn and Furman.

Dennis Umanzor- a marking back from Houston Texas, Umanzor was an All-Star at Adidas ESP in 2000 and was a product of the same Houstonians Soccer Club that produced current Blazers such as Flavio Montiero, Jose Rayo, Oswaldo Gallegos, and Nnamdi and Amechi Ngwe. Dennis is a hard-nosed marking back with strong individual ball skills that could compete for playing time right away.

Robert Sheringham- a wide midfielder from Islip, New York, Sheringham is the younger brother of former UAB standout John Sheringham. Robert was selected to the 2001 Long Island Select Team and was a two-time captain of Islip High School. Also a track athlete in high school, Sheringham should add pace and depth to the Blazer midfield.

25. simon99

simon99 New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Montreal, Canada
    Was Clemente a good keeper for UAB? Where is he now? I remember him since he was our U-17 National team keeper in 1995.