U20's: US vs. Mexico [R]

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by IMOX77, Nov 21, 2004.

1. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=127441&itype=113&iCategoryID=0
    Roster is now down to 16 with Marvell Wynne (UCLA), Brandon Owens (UCLA), Patrick Phelan (Wake Forest), Hunter Freeman (Virginia) and midfielder Greg Dalby (Notre Dame) all returning to their teams for the NCAA tournament.

The roster for tonights game against Mexico
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Bryant Rueckner (Rancho Cucamunga, Calif.), Quentin Westberg (ESTAC Troyes – France)

DEFENDERS (4): Carlos Borja (Anaheim, Calif.), Robby Rogers (Fairfax Station, Va.), Ofori Sarkodie (Huber Heights, Ohio), Nathan Sturgis (Clemson)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Arturo Alvarez (San Jose Earthquakes), Nikolas Besagno (Maple Valley, Wash.), Michael Bradley (MetroStars), Jay Denny (Stoke City – England), Guillermo Gonzalez (L.A. Galaxy), Ryan Soroka (Langhorne, Pa.), Danny Szetela (Columbus Crew)

FORWARDS (3): Freddy Adu (D.C. United), Will John (St. Louis University), Preston Zimmerman (Pasco, Wash.)

wow that blackline is going to have a rough time tonight

You can follow the game through US Soccer's match tracker
    Game starts at 7 p.m. ET
    http://www.ussoccer.com/home/default.sps

2. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    I guess the plus of it all is that if we do well, things will be looking pretty good for US soccer. Tonight's game is going to be a real test for the team. We'll get a chance to see what some of them are made of, and that's not always a bad thing.

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game should be good but really, who are those kids on D?

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree with squash. we have no business winning this game at all. we are playing with a depleted and basically underage roster. this team has nothing to lose, and it will be a good development tool in any event. if the guys actually compete ............ that's just another plus.

5. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    You know what last march when Zimmerman joined the U-17's no one knew him. Does it matter who they are, or would it be nice to have a few surprises. Our system of finding talent isn't perfect and maybe just maybe some of these kids can flat out play.

I'm looking forward to seeing what a bunch of so called no names can do. In the last few years, one thing the U-17 residency has done is continue to look and find talent and continues to bring in and change the talent looking for that next star. I think it's been one of the shining spots in our youth sytem and my hope is they do it for more ages and the womens side too.

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i think we have plenty of business in this game and every game is winable

who cares if our D is " not so good " We can play with 5 strong midfielders and stop the mexicans in their traks at midfield....easy does it if the coach has some vision

7. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    IIRC Robbie Rogers is a big kid. Didn't he start out as a forward? What's he been trying out as in Europe?

8. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 U17 kids (Ofori Sarkodie is a U17 starter and pretty talented and Carlos Borja was on the "B-team" U20 in midfield in their last camp in Oct)

1 U20 newcomer (Rodgers)

1 U20 regular (Sturgis)

9. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isnt this Robby Rogers? Not Robbie Rogers? Robbie was SoCal based, Robby is from Virginia. Sounds like 2 different people with confusing names.

10. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wonder why not one single mexican tv channel (and I get about 5 or 6 of 'em) is showing this game... maybe its delayed? according to galavision, they're showing italia v estados unidos at 5:00 pm pacific time; what game is that?

11. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
  12. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh, i see it now--thanks.

13. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanx....Also partially explained here by Rusnak, as it was in the 1st article of the thread.... I did not think they really meant high-school aged kids.....

Note: Dc fans might want to skip the first half of the article :)
    D.C. remembers Hudson
    Published November 21, 2004
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-rusnakcol21nov21,0,1267478.column
    "There's a $20,000 jackpot at stake when the United States plays Mexico tonight at Lockhart Stadium, but since the money goes to the winning federation and not necessarily the players, the spoils for the victors will be the satisfaction of beating a border rival.

Judging from Friday's results at the four-team U-20 tournament and the departure of five collegians from the U.S. lineup, Mexico should have a distinct advantage. The Mexicans beat Brazil 3-1 in a match that featured a first-half brawl and six ejections. Mexico finished the match with 10 men and no head coach, but Brazil ended it with eight men and one less assistant coach.

The Americans will be without four starting defenders and a midfielder from a 2-0 win over Honduras that saw Preston Zimmerman and Freddy Adu score goals. The five players are collegians that returned to their schools for upcoming NCAA tournament games. Most of their replacements will come from the U-17 residency program in Bradenton. ... "

14. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    it should be interesting to see not only how well we do, but how many people attend the game tonight.

15. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Today were the last regular season MFL games before the playoffs. So maybe some Mexican clubs wanted their players back.

Or on the other hand, maybe some clubs that aren't going to the playoffs released some guys just for today.

16. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    3 minutes in and it's 1:0 mexico

17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
  18. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just realized that match tracker won't work on this browser....(netscape)

But U-17 kids on D were never insurance for anything....It's ok, though....
    Kids had college to get back to.....(i assume reserve teams will start taking the necessity away from college players a bit....)
    what's 20K for the federation?..... It's a game far more benefitial in terms of a learning experience....

19. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
  20. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Adu scores to make it 1-1 on a free kick 21 min.

Mexico has 3 YC's already.

21. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    USA lineup
    G 1 Quentin Westberg
    D 19 Robby Rogers
    D 5 Nathan Sturgis
    D 16 Nikolas Besagno
    D 15 Ofori Sarkodie
    M 7 Michael Bradley
    M 6 Jay Denny
    M 8 Danny Szetela
    M 11 Freddy Adu
    M 10 Arturo Alvarez
    F 12 Will John

MEX: Prado 4m
    USA Adu 21m

Yellow Cards:
    Prado 11m
    Landin 14m
    Hernandez 17m

Hernandez made a second hard foul on Adu after the goal, but Prus didn't send him off. US has been attacking heavily after the goal earning corners.

22. Galaxy64

Galaxy64 Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was bummed on watching the matchtracker and its like watching paint dry. Is it still 1-1 ?

23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, it's fun to see how even a team one roots for manages to surprise you like this...Awesome! Having been behind so quick, with a D playing opponents 3+ years their seniors, i would have thought Mexico would have kept dominating....IMaybe i should learn to be less cynical, but it is still pretty obvious (in theory) that the gap between 16 y/o and 19 y/o should be substantial..... Go USA! :)

24. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    1-1 at 32 min

Canto picked up another YC for Mexico for kicking Sarkodie. Westberg was forced to make two saves from shots outside the box. Alvarez is given a yellow for the US for a foul on Canto.

25. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Now Rogers gets a yellow.