U20's To Play In A 4 Team Tournament in Florida

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by IMOX77, Oct 28, 2004.

1. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-soccerbrief28oct28,0,6365191.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines
    MLS Cup is November 14th so there should be a full squad for these game minus Spector. Though SAF in the past week has released two of his most talented youngsters to represent their countries in tournaments(Giuseppe Rossi - Italy, Paul McShane - Republic Of Ireland) so there might be a small chance. Most likely not but if i was the guys at US soccer i would try really hard to get this guy in for qualifying to help out the weakest part of the team.

This team should be in good form now with all our professional players still going through their seanon or a season that just ended. All of the college players have been training with their college team for a couple of months now and should be in better form then they where over the summer in Europe and Asia.

I wonder who will be coaching the team by then?

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Some thoughts.

1. It's great to see the 20's in such a tournament. It will be good preparation for January's qualifers.

2. Can we assume the new U20 coach will be in place by then and if not, who's gonna coach?

3. This comes in the middle of the NCAA men's soccer tournament so a lot of players will be in the midst of their most important games of the season so I can't see any players whose season hasn't ended being released. Could be quite the interesting roster.

3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
  4. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Ditto!

5. misoccer6

misoccer6 New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    chapel hill
    Any word on the roster yet... definetly games to see

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arrgghh. I have to work the first weekend, but can make it for the U-20 thing. Hmmm.. Must get tickets.

7. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    Gaven is expected to play...all the games?

The first game is the 19th & the Senior Team plays just two day earlier vs. Jamaica in the last WCQ. I expected Gaven to get another cap in that game - and it'd be a bit much to ask him to play Wed in Columbus & then go 90 Friday in Fla & then 90 again on Sunday.

I guess he'll get a few days off in December?

8. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis

That would be a bit rough but not impossible for somebody his age. they may be able to rest him for a few minutes on friday depending on how the game goes.

9. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    i find it funny, they play games daily during most tournaments and sometimes 2 at youth ages, and you guys are afraid gaven may be tired..pleaseeeeeeeee!!!

Most tournaments any team goes to, has games at least everyday at every level. i honestly don't see an issue. Unless he has health issues, playing a game a day for a week is no big deal.

10. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis

I agree, but i think comparing youth tournaments to the beating you probably take (obviously speculating here) in a wcq & u20 games may not be similar.

11. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    The fact they are higher level athletes should actually reinforce the fact it's a non isssue. Plus I'm not talking low level youth tournaments, regionals, nationals, Surf, Disney Showcase, Dallas Cup, all play games daily some 2 in a day. We've rarely had issues with players not being able to play, unless a serious injury happens. Otherwise, it's a matter of the player taking proper steps to insure being fresh the next day, something gaven i'm sure is well educated at doing.

12. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    Yeah, fair enough. But most kids don't play full MLS seasons with sporadic senior and youth national team appearances. Eddie looked like he hit a wall at some point this season & I'm just concerned that he'll burn out a little bit.

But, yeah, point taken.

13. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis

Ask the guys in the nhl about playing consecutive nights (if they remember).