U20 WNT Camp Roster Announced

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by soccershins, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    U20s beat the Atletico Madrid women's team 3-0. Goals: Canales, Stevens & Pugh.

2. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    US Soccer video with Coach French's comments about camp:

3. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    The U20 WNT beat the Rayo Vallecano women's club 4-1 in the pouring rain. All 4 goals from Ashley Sanchez, who came on in the 68th minute.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    she hasn't stood out since they decided to play her up. i wondered if they'd send her back down to the u17s. maybe she's finding herself - or maybe it was a weak rayo team.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The draw for CONCACAF qualifying:
    [​IMG]

sitruc repped this.
  6. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    I wonder how many college players will miss the NCAA College Cup (and maybe the quarterfinals, if they have to leave their college team earlier) to play in the CONCACAF U20 Women’s Championship.

As to guessing who those players might be, there were six U20 WNT camp/events this year that did not occur during the college season and three camps/events that did occur during the college season. With two exceptions, no college players were invited to the events that occurred during the college season. (The exceptions: two college keepers were rostered for one event during the college season.) With that background, here are all the current college players who were named to 3 or more U20 WNT camp/event rosters this year (with the number of camps/events listed first):

Keepers:
    7 - S. Leshnak (North Carolina)
    6 - C. Murphy (Rutgers)
    3 - R. Chandler (Penn State)

Non-keepers:
    6 - S. Flores (Notre Dame)
    6 - N. Jacobs (Notre Dame)
    6 - K. Riehl (Penn State)
    6 - E. Ogle (Penn State)
    6 - T. Racioppi (Duke)
    6 - M. Harvey (Texas A&M)
    5 - C. Petersen (Virginia)
    5 - M. Buckingham (North Carolina)
    5 - J. Scarpa (North Carolina)
    4 - M. Elliston (Penn State)
    4 - P. Roberts (Kansas)

(I have no idea about the current injury status of any of these players.)

The deadline for filing the initial (non-public) List of Players for the CONCACAF Championship (35 names; 3 of the 35 must be keepers) has already past. I would guess that, if not injured, all those players would have been on the initial list of 35.

The deadline for filing the final (public) Roster for the CONCACAF Championship (20 names that must come from the List of Players; 2 of the 20 must be keepers) is a few days before the NCAA quarterfinals.

7. Caversham

Caversham Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Does anyone know if these matches will be televised, either on actual TV or via live stream?

8. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Based on the past, I would expect all games (not just US) to be available in some form. On 11/4, US Soccer wrote that broadcast info would be coming at a later date. No details, yet, as far as I know.

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #109 luvdagame, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    isn't today (or yesterday) the deadline?

what's the team?

10. Caversham

Caversham Member

Oct 25, 2015
    #110 Caversham, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    According to the Fox Soccer Plus schedule (TV listings), they are also televising Mexico vs. Haiti on Dec. 6th.
    Therefore, it looks like they aren't just televising the US matches, they are also televising some of the others as well.

12. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    You can sign up for:
    http://www.foxsoccer2go.com/

Every match (all 16 of them) from this entire tournament is being broadcast online there, but there's a monthly fee.

Here's their broadcast schedule (live & on demand - the matches are on demand for just a few days):
    http://www.foxsoccer2go.com/upcoming

13. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Rose Chandler (Penn State; Atlanta, Ga.), Brooke Heinsohn (New England FC; Norfolk, Mass.)

DEFENDERS (7): Tierna Davidson (De Anza Force; Menlo Park; Calif.), Sabrina Flores (Notre Dame; Livingston, N.J.), Emily Fox (FC Virginia; Ashburn, Va.), Shannon Horgan (Clemson; Long Beach, N.Y.), Natalie Jacobs (Notre Dame; Coto de Caza; Calif.), Taylor Otto (CASL; Apex, N.C.), Kiara Pickett (Eagles; Santa Barbara, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Marley Canales (San Diego Surf; San Diego, Calif.), Savannah DeMelo (Beach FC; Bellflower, Calif.), Jordan Harr (Dallas Sting; Sachse, Texas), Mikaela Harvey (Texas A&M; Liberty Hill, Texas), Kelcie Hedge (Washington; Post Falls, Idaho), Parker Roberts (Kansas; Leawood, Kan.), Ella Stevens (GSA; Grayson, Ga.)

FORWARDS (4): Mallory Pugh (Real Colorado; Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Zoe Redei (Eclipse Soccer Club; Highland Park, Ill.), Ashley Sanchez (SoCal Blues; Monrovia, Calif.), Jessie Scarpa (UNC; Lakeland, Fla.)

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...-for-concacaf-u20-womens-world-cup-qualifying

Hooked003 and lil_one repped this.
  14. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    I was surprised to see Clemson's Shannon Horgan on the roster. My surprise is not related to talent (she's had 2 excellent years at Clemson), just that she had been invited to zero previous U20 camps/events in 2015. However, she's been to one U19 camp that mixed lots of the more often seen U20 camp players, so there was a basis for the coaches to compare her ability against other players on the U20 roster. The fact that she's a college forward being asked to play outside back for the U20s is just Coach French being consistent in preferring attacking players over true defenders.

15. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    FYI, the Canadian press release for the U20 CONCACAF Championship lists the dates for the 2016 U20 WWC as November 13 through December 3, 2016.

16. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Good timing for us all.
    The U-20 WWC will be taking place "during" the exact same time period as the NCAA tournament next year.
    And the NCAA tournament is never televised (until the College Cup, which the Final is on Dec. 4 next year).
    At least we will be able to watch some soccer in high quality on TV during that period in bold above, which will be after the NCAA Conference Championship games but before the College Cup.

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    good timing for some of us.

not good timing, as per usual, for top college players who can make the ynt - and tricky for the coaches on both sides as well.

sitruc, kernel_thai and BostonRed repped this.
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Last time this happened was 2008 and there were some hard feelings on both sides. The plus was we got Alex Morgan out of it.

19. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    In 2008, Tony held two 1-week-long camps during the college season: one in September and one in October. As to playing in college (for the 17 of 20 who enrolled in college for that semester), he left it up to the players to decide whether they wanted to red-shirt or not. His reasoning was that college practice and play could be useful. The surprise for him (and the players) was that the college coaches were not much interested in building the team around players who would be gone for camps and for the NCAA tournament and, so, the players college playing time actually went down.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont think the camps were much of a factor but certainly some teams with College Cup aspirations werent pleased about losing key players to the U20 WC.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While some players' college playing time may have gone down, I'm not sure it's necessarily attributable to "building the [college] team" considerations, certainly not in all cases. When the U20 camps and World Cup overlap with the college season, there's a big risk of the players getting exhausted and becoming more injury prone. Good college coaches make an effort to get their players sufficient rest, notwithstanding the team might be better off with them playing. I've seen this done for a number of players over the years.

22. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    That's a fair comment (as was k-thai's), both of which remind me to generalize less. Thanks!

23. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    The article about Casey Murphy's choice to stay with Rutgers suggests that other players also made the choice to stay with their college teams.

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/120215aae.html

24. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Probably the most important group game for the US is the up-coming one against Mexico. With 3 teams qualifying, the top team in the US group should have the easier semifinal (i.e., likely not against Canada). Both semifinal winners qualify for the U20 WWC. The winner of the third place game between the teams that lose in the semi-finals gets the third qualifying spot.

25. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013