U20 WC Duty

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by newbiecoach, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Either way, they'll make a full strength run at the championship next year, and they haven't given up on this year. To do so wouldn't be fair to the other players. Those players may be essential to keeping the other players healthy for a deep run this year. UP has plenty of firepower with the players that are left, but they need to be fit and ready.

Sometimes schools make choices. In Portlands case the decision is probably based on small roster size. One of the advantages of that small roster size is that most UP students combine their larger scholarship pie with academic scholarships and get a free ride through school.

Schools with larger rosters give less money to all their players or none to some players.

2. Boss DJ

Boss DJ Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Sometimes schools make choices. In Portlands case the decision is probably based on small roster size. One of the advantages of that small roster size is that most UP students combine their larger scholarship pie with academic scholarships and get a free ride through school.

Schools with larger rosters give less money to all their players or none to some players.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly sure how this fits into the discussion, but there is also the impact of the early recruiting seen in the women's game that could sway a decision to sit a semester for national team duty. What I mean is this: if school x has committed its money to a group for 2010 already, the coach has done so figuring that his/her current roster of upperclassmen will have graduated. A player unexpectedly red shirting for any reason complicates things because the money is promised to a future player. At a private school, like UP or ND, with a high price tag, a player can't always just pay for her final semester.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    It is true that UP, at least, is well into the 2010 recruiting cycle. That doesn't necessarily mean the school is locked in.

There has been a bit of flexibility in how the scholarships are divided up. some players have guaranteed money, some have to share a pot, some can even ween themselves off of athletic scholarship money (and from the looks of the announced grades, many are eligible for academic money.)

Grades are a key piece of the puzzle. All three players on the WC team are superior students. a big piece of their money probably doesn't depend all that much on athletic money.

4. karanicole

karanicole Member

Jun 28, 2005
    When are they going to announce the team since some players are already making plans to redshirt?

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible that DeCicco already has told some players that they're on the team, while leaving it open as to filling some final spots? That would make sense to me, if he's expecting players on the squad to red-shirt.

6. GIRLS CAN PLAY

GIRLS CAN PLAY New Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Raleigh
    The majority of the team has been chosen. DiCicco is leaving the decision to red-shirt up to each player. A red-shirt is not required for a final roster spot. Some will, and others will not.

7. fanaticdefutbol8

fanaticdefutbol8 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Do you know who is on the final roster?
    And how did the U20s do against Arsenal today?

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I think they lost to Everton a couple days ago 0-1, and lost to the Arsenal women today 1-3.

9. fanaticdefutbol8

fanaticdefutbol8 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Thank you Cliveworshipper...Where do you get your info from; is there a link where I can read about the games?

10. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure they played Everton? The wire says they played Arsenal today and Chelsea the 5th. I hope they are playing the full teams, and not just the girls under 20.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Both scores came over Pilotnation. It could be player contact.

I didn't know they would play Everton either, but it makes sense. The ladies teams start their season next week and are probably willing to do tuneups with anyone.

I'm not sure how formal the Evertonfc game was. it could even have been in the US before they left, as I see there are several Everton squads in the US right now in Phiily, Colorado, and Chicago.

None of the Brit sites has a report yet that I saw.

I'm pretty sure both were full teams.

12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    FSU fan here!
    I'm guessing Becky Edwards is a shoo in for the team.
    Not sure about DaCosta.
    Do you know if either or both of them made it?

Also an incoming freshman, Ella Stephan played with them. Any info is appreciated.

13. GIRLS CAN PLAY

Dec 12, 2005
    Raleigh
    Becky Edwards will be on the final roster..

14. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this just an educated opinion or is it a fact you know through some inside information. If you know, how? Inquiring minds want to know!:)

15. alegria19

alegria19 New Member

Jan 27, 2008
    bay area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cpthomas, that would make sense to me too but at the same time i'm kind of wondering.. would DiCicco leave players home from this England trip (ie: ohara, nogueira) if they are automatically on the roster? why wouldn't he have them there to maintain continuity and build more chemistry?

Or are they on the fence about possibly redshirting or opting to play the college season, and DiCicco would like to have backups ready if they choose to play season instead.. ?? Does anyone know why those 2 aren't on the roster?

I feel that once we know who is set for Chile - redshirting or not, our thoughts & predictions on the college season will be a little bit clearer. right now, it's so up in the air, which makes it pretty interesting...

16. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    There are camps coming in Sept and Oct, so I doubt the final roster will be determined until after the last camp.

17. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Hopefully lots of pilots, bruins, noles, cardnals, lions, irishes.

18. GIRLS CAN PLAY

Dec 12, 2005
    Raleigh
    This is a fact.The team in England now is for the most part THE FINAL Roster,minus a couple of players. The search is over. KO and CN will not be part of this team. Coaches decision. The team will have to adjust their college schedules.

19. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming by "coaches decision" you mean DeCicco's and his staff's decision?

Since you seem to have some inside information, I'm wondering if you know whether the selection process had to do with whether players would be willing to red-shirt or not. In particular in the context of early rumors about UNC players not being willing to red-shirt, could that have had an impact? I'm also wondering about O'Hara, who seemed one of the main scorers on the team. Was the red-shirt a question with her? Or, is there another reason she was not selected?

This all seems pretty peculiar to me, but I have no inside information at all so I really have no idea whether these considerations were involved in the selection process. Can you give any help?

20. GIRLS CAN PLAY

Dec 12, 2005
    Raleigh
    NO.NO.NO.YES, Coaches Decision.Your assumption is correct.

21. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    I am amazed that the NCAA would even allow this. It is a joke that the U-20 tournamnet would be held during the NCAA tournament. Can you imagine the NCAA basktball tournament losing some of their best players due to something like this. The bad part about redshirting is you may have a great senior class that will be gone the year you come back. I have heard alot of the girls in the pool did not want to be on the team in order to make a run at the NCAA's. I don't blame them. I can understand the world CUp or the Olympics but U-20's no way.

22. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    You are absolutley correct , many girls feel the NCAA's is bigger than the U-20's, I know several UCLA players that don't want to miss the NCAA's. Several USC players feel the same way, and UNC is in the same boat. All it will take is a team like Portland and others to keep losing NCAA title's year in and year out becasue of all their players playing on national teams before they decide it's not all that cool. Remember a college coach is hired to win on the college level not send players to the national team.

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

My, Is it the grapes or the seeds that are bitter?

Just think of the glory of winning the NCAA's and having your players contribute to a World Cup gold the same year.:)

24. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    Clive,
    Sorry I wasn't attacking PU, they are my favorite team, I was more upset with the U-20 situation. PU just happens to be good enough to have 3 or 4 players on the team which is too bad they have to miss this season. I agree, to win both would be awesome but, very hard to do the way they have it set up.

25. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    It is my understanding that the U20 WC got moved to November because of the olympics. Also, I don't think that FIFA cares too much about what NCAA thinks.