U17 Superstars...

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Brunssen, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Brunssen

Brunssen New Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Can you guys please give me a list of the most promising youngsters currently playing in your professional league? Could be young professionals U17, youth team players, guys just coming into their own.. ect ect.

Name, Age, Position would be great….

2. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Here is a rundown on some of the top Portuguese prospects aged 20 and under:

Hugo Viana, 19, M, Newcastle United: Viana has already impressed at Newcastle after making a 12m euro move from Sporting over the summer. The midfielder has been playing on the left wing, though he is naturally at central/holding midfielder. Called the successor to Rui Costa, he made the World Cup squad but did not play in Portugal’s three games. Very consistent, he is a cerebral player who rarely makes mistakes and has a very instinctive feel for the game.

Ricardo Quaresma, 18, M, Sporting Lisbon: Many consider Quaresma to be the next Figo. Both play on the wing and are explosive dribblers with tremendous shots. Quaresma can be electrifying and is ready to have a breakout season after breaking Sporting’s starting lineup last year as 17-year-old. There were all sorts of rumors that he would move this summer to a big club in either Spain or Italy. He scored a goal in Sporting’s 2-0 season-opening win on Friday.

Helder Postiga, 20, F, FC Porto: Postiga is a natural goal-scorer who has been a starter/regular for Porto over the last couple of years. He has scored a number of goals in his national team appearances for the youth teams. Excellent in the air, Postiga needs a little strengthening, but he has already proven that he can compete with the top clubs in Europe. Postiga scored yesterday in Porto’s 2-2 draw with Belenenses.

Tiago, 19, M, and Ednilson, M, 18, both from Benfica: Tiago and Ednilson figure to be the starting defensive midfielders for the national team in years to come. Both started or saw significant playing time last year. Tiago is the more polished of the two, and Parma was very interested in the offseason. Ednilson is the better athlete but needs to work on his passing. Wih Benfica’s purchase of Petit, the current starter at DM for Portugal, during the offseason, Ednilson’s playing time will suffer.

Moreira, 20, GK, Benfica: Broke into the starting lineup at the end of last season. He is still learning the position, but has displayed remarkable poise, and owns the position right now for Portugal’s biggest club.

Others to watch are Makukulu (20, F, Nantes), Ricardo Costa (20, D, Porto), Bosingwa (20, FB, Boavista) and Christian Ronaldo (17, M, Sporting).

I intentionally left out the prospects aged 21 – 23, including Simao, Caneira, Peixoto, Paulo Ferreira, Hugo Leal, Neca.

3. Brunssen

Brunssen New Member

Jun 3, 2000
    many thanks.. how is hugo leal and simao doing this days? how about Dani?

4. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Both players were injured at the tail end of last season and have recovered strongly. However, it appears that their careers are heading in opposite trajectories. Leal has been just OK at PSG since signing with the club last summer. For whatever reason, he did not play this weekend.

Simao, on the other hand, is flourishing with Benfica. When he got injured in April (I think) 2002, he was the best player in the Portuguese domestic league, and looking to play a prominent role with the national team. A knee injury changed all that. However, he has come back as strong as ever. During the opener Saturday against Maritimo, Simao was all over the field. He contributed an assist on Benfica’s first goal, and converted a PK to round out the 3-0 score. He was all over the field and in constant attack mode. He drew about 10 fouls from Maritimo, who were just not able to contend with his speed and skill.

5. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Dani seems to be turning his career around with Athletico Madrid, who he helped gain promotion to the Spanish First Division last year. Dani will either start in the midfield or be one of the first off the bench. It remains to be seen whether the 25-year-old will be called to the national team.

6. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada

I think he will, He has alot of skill and i think his bad attitude is almost gone! I think they (the national team) should give him a try!

7. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    Selecao2002

Can you give a list of young portugeuse sweepers. I want to see who could be the future player in that position?

8. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can also add Benfica's Miguel (22 Forward) and Ricardo Rocha (24 Central Defender) to the list of future portuguese stars.

9. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I was trying to keep it to prospects aged 20 and under as Brunssen had requested. But, both of those players should indeed have a future.

10. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    Moreira could possibly be the future selecao golie. All he needs is a little bit fine tuning and he'll be pretty good!

postiga Is going to be in the future selecao, hes a natural Nuno Gomes!

tiago and Ednilson are the future defensive mids. I dont know whos better though?

Another young player I really like is Ricardo costa, hes a hard worker and should atleast try out for the selecao in the future!

11. Apache

Apache New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    DC
    I'm guessing somewhat on their ages but a young line up might look something like this:

Moreira (20)

Caneira (22) F. Meira (23) J. Andrade (24)

Ednilson (19) Tiago (20)

Quaresma (18) H. Viana (19) H. Leal (22) Simao (22)

H. Postiga (20)

Bench: Bosingwa, Candido Costa, Makakula, R. Rocha, Miguel, S. Leite, Neca, P. Ferreira, and C. Peixoto.

There are other players that are a little older but should definetely be in the mix for 2006: Dani, Nuno Gomes, Petit, Ricardo, Quim, Frechaut, Beto and Boa-Morte.

12. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Add Christian Ronaldo to the mix on the bench...he is 17 now.

13. Apache

Apache New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    DC
    I haven't heard much about Christian Ronaldo but I'll take your word that he has promise. I didn't add him because he wasn't called to teh bench in Sporting's last match and I haven't seen much about him.

There are some other fringe guys out there like Luis Filipe, Carlos Martins, Semedo, Freddy, Duda, Ricardo Fernandes that I also did not include.

14. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada

thats a pretty strong lineup.........:D

with the other players(I.E nuno gomes) it should look something like this...........

Ricardo
    Frechaut F.meira J.andrade R.jorge
    Petit Tiago
    Quaresma Vianna Simao
    Gomes(or Postiga)

now that team could play with any team in the world...............................

15. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Assuming that all of these 'kids' continue to develop and they do not get hurt, that very well could be the starting lineup for Portugal's 2006 WC bid. The only guy who will probably not be around is Rui Jorge, who is 28/29.

Other candidates at right and left back include Bosingwa (Boavista) and Paulo Ferreira (Porto), who will challenge Frechaut for a position. Ricardo Costa also figures to be in the mix. You're right, Fender, it should be a strong and exciting team.

How about this for the trainer in 2006?

Lazlo Boloni! What do you think?

16. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada

17. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Sporting!!!!
    He won the title in his first year, though he has his work cut out if he is going to repeat this year.

18. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    no way.........i never knew that................god where have i been the past year:D. Well..........hes a good coach then, and your right hes going to have his work cut out for him this year.;)