U13G Region II Champs Denied MRL Premier

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by the_north_cat, Nov 8, 2007.

1. the_north_cat

the_north_cat New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Yep, agree to disagree, though I think we're on the same page about the overall picture.

Not exactly sure what the U14s are planning this winter. I know they had/will have some friendlies with the Toro (NE) team this winter. I think I heard Phoenix in January, and I know it's Vegas in March for the showcase there.

As for next year, I'd think MRL First Div and select tournaments under US Club Soccer. Do any other of the RII MRL Premier teams play in their respective state leagues as well?

2. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2

I think there are MN players on the Shattuck roster as well, last time I checked anyway.

3. the_north_cat

the_north_cat New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Sorry RII, I'm done trying to hold a dialogue with you. You are WAY too defensive and take most of my comments as direct attacks when they are there for discussion. You make wild leaps to conclusions that are not there. Read back through my posts, a little slower this time.

I have no fear of SSM competition for our girls teams. Your U18s can't touch our U18s and your U16s would likely find our U16s more than a match. Its the precedent that is being set here for all future MN teams that I'm trying to make a stand for. If you don't see how SSM teams have a clear and unfair advantage over any MN club team, then I'm not going to open your eyes to it. End of story. Good luck to you.

4. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I don't think there is a fight here, R2? But, to shed light on your last statement... the U16 Girls have 6 out of 14 that are MN kids.

5. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    north_cat-- are there any plans for your teams to come in and play in the dome this winter? I assume you are a Bangu parent, it would be a quality session to get the teams together for a friendly. It is always great to play high levels of competition to keep skills up and the game sharp.

How are the Bangu U16s? I don't know much about them. Our U16s are a decent side for as young as they are. We have tied WDM Heat (IA State Cup Champs), beaten Johnston-Urbandale (Iowa SC Finalist), beat America's SC, beat RSC White Lightning (MI SC semi-finalist), tied the Magic (IL SC quarter-finalist) and so forth. We did lose to the Rockford Dactyls-- although our team was missing a few starters. I am not saying they are "world beaters"....but progressing nicely. Hope to see you this winter? If so, maybe we can have a discussion over a couple of pints? I would enjoy that.

6. mabboud

mabboud New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Woodbury, MN
    Thanks cat for the referral to this site.

Menace, I guess north cat figured I'd be able to answer some of your questions better than he could.

It is a shame about the U14 girls, but I take as much blame as anyone for not fully understanding the procedures. I know MRL is relatively new, and I've been coaching at the younger age groups mainly, with this particular team my first at the U14+ age group. This isn't an excuse, just stating one of the factors that has led us to our current situation.

I'm looking forward to still having the girls compete in the MRL 1st Division next spring. I've been around the youth game long enough to know that nothing is guaranteed because of our regional success last summer - I feel our girls were well prepared and played tough, but we also got the bounces when we needed them. As I've told the girls many times since then, the only thing that we have really come close to guaranteeing ourselves is that fact that we'll likely get the very best our opponents have to offer in each and every game as I know they'll know their up against the big, bad region champs.

Our plans, as north cat touched on, will include the Sereno event in Arizona in January, and the Las Vegas College Showcase in March. We had planned on the event in College Station (TX) in early Dec, but there were not enough teams confirmed at our age group early enough for us to make travel plans. We will also look to set up a number of regional friendlies to prep us for the spring league. I've already been in touch with Mike M, Chris B, and Kevin F down at SSM and have let them know we'd be up for friendlies at any time. I guess you have a U14 girls Academy team that may be looking for something.

As for SSM, I do believe it what they are trying to do. I know many of the coaches down there and I think they are helping to step up the level of interested players in what they have to offer. One of my U14s is down there this year and from my conversations with her and her parents, loves it.

I don't know much about our U16s. They were a new team to the club as U15s and were State Cup semifinalists. I believe they improved through tryouts this fall, though I can't say how they'd stack up with the SSM U16s. I haven't seen your U18s play, but I know our group is solid.

There is a little tension with some decision makers in our club stemming from an issue last year. Two years ago we had hosted a very successful college showcase in March at the SSM facility. This year, SSM said they were not interested in us hosting the same, then went onto host their own. I don't know what the decision process was, but IMO it would have been better to approach us and look to jointly run the event, rather than hi-jack the weekend and build off what we did the year before without our involvement. Just my take on things.

I do agree with you that Minnesota soccer has come a long way in a relatively short period of time, thanks in part to the effort of clubs like ours and the inception of the SSM program. I think we have a unique opportunity to work alongside the USL First Division pro team (the MN Thunder) and create a unique and highly beneficial system if Bangu, SSM, and the Thunder sit down and chat. Maybe a pipe dream, but who knows.

Are you involved with the Menace or just a fan in the area? Did your daughter come from the Menace club? Is casey Mann still coaching? He's a good guy. Is the Kum and Go CEO still running the show? How about Matt Kennedy? He still involved?

I'm excited to be part of this board. Looks like some more serious discussion is allowed to take place, compared with what I've been through the last couple years with the MN blogs.

7. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    mabboud-- first of all welcome to BigSoccer. I think that you'll find much more intelligently thought out arguments and discussions than I previously found on the "other" bog site. I was ssmsouthcampus there, and have followed your posts defending Bangu.

Also, kudos to you for not hiding behind a screen name and being very straightforward with your identity. I also think it is commendable that you acknowledge and take responsibility for what happened with your team. It really is a shame.....

My daughter did begin with the Menace Academy, and recieved some great training there....to include having Coach Mann as her team coach. He really is a class individual, and I have great repsect for him. We have been season ticket holders for a few years, and do have some very good relationships within the organization. The Menace is still owned by Kyle Krause from Kim and Go, there have been some strange things happen there....but overall is a great organization.

I applaud your stance on MN soccer, and recognizing that the complete package is in MN. By this, I mean that every player from the community programs, Bangu, and S-SM has an option. It really is a great situation, I just wish that more would see that and appreciate it. We don't really have a U14 team at S-SM, but we do have a very young U16 squad. The breakdown is roughly 4 U14s, 6 U15s, and 4 U16s. I am very proud of what they have accomplished being so young and holding thier own. Again, I am not sure that they will "beat the world"....but they certainly do hold thier own. The WDM Heat that we tied is in the MRL Premier Division and a fairly respected team in Region 2. And that was our first non-friendly game together as a team.

Again, welcome. Hope to see you around the boards giving another perspective on youth soccer. Looking forward to it.

8. mabboud

mabboud New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Woodbury, MN
    Thanks Menace. Good to be here.

I don't mind posting hiding behind a made up moniker. Wish it was mandated on the MN soccer blogs, but anon postings do let people speak their heart without fear, so it does give a bit of a sense of how people are really feeling.

I can't say much right now, but I think that I'll soon be seeing a lot more of Coach Mann shortly. Ooh, what a cliffhanger!

I think the U14 group that I have been talking with Mike M about is maybe your Academy group who are there for winter training. Maybe they are trying to breed future SSM players from that clinic... seems logical.

I'm very happy to bring friendly possibilities to our U16 coach, as well as to our U17s. Our top U17 team is very strong.

It's been a whirlwind up here in the MN soccer scene in the last 2 or 3 years, and I expect things to keep progressing in the local club scene. Who knows? Maybe a collective approach is just around the corner. But to be honest, it will take a lot of people putting egos aside and really trying to focus on what is best for the top players here in our area. We are obviously not in as large of a market as the Chicago or Detroit areas, but maybe that will work in our favor if we do try and consolidate talent in our metro area.

9. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
  10. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Please keep in mind that I am only a parent, and in no way speak for the program on whether they need any other games....but I am sure that the Coaching staff is always looking to bring in quality teams for good competition. It is a great thing for everyone. We played the Magic a couple weeks ago in friendlies, and I think that worked out well. We had some games scheduled with the 56rs also, but they had some injury issues following a hard fought SC game and had to cancel.

As far as putting egos aside, it would be a worthwhile endeavor in most States. I wish it could happen in Iowa....seems as though Iowa teams can just absolutely dominate in-State competition and then (for the most-part) not be remotely competitive to other Region2 State Cup Champs. It was pointed out on another site that an Iowa State Cup team (my oldest played for) was only capable of beating another R2 State's #7 team 1-0. Kind of says it all......

Money has become the driving factor in clubs today, there are very few that are really about making thier players the best they can be. I would point to the Menace Academy as being some of the "good guys". Problem is, those clubs don't win a lot of games....and parents equate wins with where they want thier kids to play. So, the Academy doesn't necessarily get the best talent (for girls).

11. Kick It

Kick It New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Kind of jumping in here. A question was asked if any of the other teams that play in MRL also play in their state leagues. I have a daughter on the MTSC team that will be competing in the upper level of the MRL this next season and they also participated in the Buckeye league in Ohio. It made for a pretty buisy schedule when you threw the tournaments in. If you have any further questions related to that let me know.

We also have fall soccer here in Ohio but did not have the conflict with playing for the highschool team as Banu seemed to have. We had only 2 girls that their was a conflict with. One chose high school one stayed with us.

On another note my daughter did guest play with St Marys durring the Iowa tournament and had a great experience. She loved how the program was run.

Just a little feedback

12. gavin

gavin New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    figured I would find you in here.

13. gavin

gavin New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    One more thing..usysa makes it very clear that a member that is residing at a boarding school or university can register in that state. I believe the intent was not to exclude such members from participating in dare I say, state cup.

14. gavin

gavin New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Kick It...when my daughter was a U14 or U13 she played state premier and mrl....As I recall...mrl took up 2 weekends maybe 3...certainly less than at the older age group.

15. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    My daughter's previous team played MRL and filled in the open weekends (as was mentioned....MRL only takes up three weekends) with the IPSL (Iowa Premier Soccer League). This was possible because IPSL keeps no standings, there are no "winners", no promotion or relegation.....it is just a way of grouping teams into similar ability catagories. Interesting really, because there are no age brackets....it is all about ability.

Curious to know if your daughter guest played with the SSM U16s or U18s at the Urbandale Tournament in Des Moines. I assume the U18s, as I don't think the U16s had anyone from Ohio?

16. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Hey Mr. Gavin, Iv been in BS for years. Welcome. Its nothing like that MN site thou, thank goodness!!

Remember, we were told to go back to our Igloos down in StL...:eek:

17. Kick It

Kick It New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I was only replying to the question in anyone played in their state league as well as the MRL. I know someone had asked farther back in the thread.

My daughter played with the U-16's in Iowa. We are friends with that former Ratpack guy who has a daughter on the team. Great experience. She thought the bus was cool as well lol.

18. akaasa

akaasa New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    St Paul, MN
    Menace, how does the IPSL work each year to create the league. Is it always the same teams? Do certain clubs get to place a team or two in it? It sounds like a great thing to keep teams playing in the summer locally at a high level with keeping the focus on development.

19. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Have to disagree menace, my daughter has played and contributed with the U18's at SSM, and she is still 13.

I could easily see her playing varsity soccer right now. Skill has no age limit and as long as they are "physically" able to play, I don't see what the issue is.

20. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    And she played well! Nice to see you around Kick It. Hopefully we will get some time this spring to hang and maybe win a state cup!

21. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Good to see you around Mark, hopefully MT can get up to some training soon. MT and LJ are having the time of their lives. I think it would be great to get Bangu down for some friendlies. They would both benefit.

22. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Im far from Menace, but I know of IPSL....IPSL does not run thru the summer. Menace SC plays SYL during the summer months. IPSL runs in the fall and spring. Any club can have as many teams as they like, boys and girls. Girls can play v boys (If they are good enough) and the State DOC and committee must sign off on this. The roster is not set in stone. You can have a U14 play up at U16 or vice versa. Its mostly a rec-league, but some select teams do play it (younger ages). Since MRL, I know most if not all select clubs are doing that, I know the Menace boys team have played in the Omaha league before as well (Holy Cow,:eek:, iowa teams playing in a league outside there boarders, I had to say that). :p

23. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I agree with all of your thoughts on this R2 except the above. IPSL is THE select league for Iowa....highest we have in-State.

Of the select teams in Iowa on the girls' side, there are only 10 Iowa teams playing MRL (three U14, two U15, two U16, one U17, and two U18-- incidentally, only one team is in the Premiership- but will be relegated and one team will be promoted). Also, interestingly enough only three of the ten teams finished in the top half of thier Division. Only ONE of the Iowa teams finished better than .500 in wins!

Doesn't this scream that change is in order for Iowa teams? Seems to me that our teams are NOT competitive as a whole within the Region, but all this could be a whole other thread in itself so I digress.....

24. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    It could be said that someone has recruited all the better players away:eek:

25. mabboud

mabboud New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Woodbury, MN
    Hey Ratpack, MT is welcome anytime. I'll see her roommate this weekend as she's back in the area and will be picking up some training with us. I'm sure I'll run into you sometime soon as well. Glad the girls are having a good experience down there.

I see that SLSC lost in their State Cup. Did you hear anything from your old teammates who moved to that team?

Menace, I had a 7th grader from my U14s play with her HS varsity program this year. She's a true U12, but I'm sure she was one of the top players in her conference this fall. Atypical, I know, but it does happen from time to time.