U.S. U-19 Women National Team thread

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by tiej, Mar 11, 2003.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    This is not quite correct. According to this:

http://www.fifa.com/documents/tournaments/wu19/FWU19WC_match_schedule.pdf

Russia is in Group C with the USA while Italy is in Group B. Also, Nigeria has won the African spot.

Does anybody know if there is any CHANCE of TV coverage for this tournament?

2. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    I have heard in Canada they will possibly be televising all of the Canadian U-19 team's games. Not sure about other countries...

3. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    since the espn network will be busy with football, i think the FSW should come to the rescue... :D

4. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Krikorian Selects 21-Player Roster for U-19 Women's World Championship

Code:
    FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship
    Nov. 10-27, Thailand
    U.S. Under-19 Women’s National Team Roster
    Name Pos. Ht. Birthdate Hometown Youth Club/College Caps/G 
    Averbuch, Yael M 5-10 11/03/86 Upper Montclair, N.J. World Class 13/2 
    Buehler, Rachel D 5-5 08/26/85 Del Mar, Calif. Stanford 24/3 
    Comeau, Laura GK 5-7 12/13/85 Lee, N.H. Virginia 6 
    Davis, Kelsey GK 5-11 05/14/87 Thousands Oaks, Calif. SoCal United 4 
    Gray, Sheree M 5-3 12/12/85 Toms River, N.J. Penn State 12/1 
    Hanks, Kerri F 5-7 09/02/85 Allen, Texas Notre Dame 27/21 
    Harris, Ashlyn GK 5-8 10/19/85 Satellite Beach, Fla. North Carolina 33 
    Holmes, Meagan D 5-6 02/21/87 Timinium, Md. Bethesda Excel 2/0 
    Kron, Stephanie M 5-3 08/20/85 Paradise Valley, Ariz. UCLA 11/2 
    Krzyski, Nikki D 5-7 05/23/87 Clifton, N.J. World Class 9/0 
    Lindstrom, Stacy M 6-0 02/23/85 Laguna Niguel, Calif. UCLA 14/1 
    Logterman, Stephanie M 5-6 02/25/86 Austin, Texas Texas 15/0 
    Lopez, Stephanie D 5-6 04/03/86 Elk Grove, Calif. Portland 18/0 
    Orand, Alexa M 5-6 10/10/87 Orange, Calif. Slammers 15/4 
    Rapinoe, Megan F 5-7 07/05/85 Redding, Calif. Portland 16/6 
    Redmond, Jen M 5-6 04/19/86 Morristown, N.J. Virginia 6/1 
    Rodriguez, Amy F 5-3 02/17/87 Lake Forest, Calif. Laguna Hills Escape 0/0 
    Rostedt, Jessica F 5-9 03/03/86 Kent, Ohio Internationals 2/0 
    Sauerbrunn, Becky D 5-7 06/06/85 Olivette, Mo. Virginia 19/0 
    Schnur, Meghan F 5-5 04/16/85 Butler, Pa. UConn 2/1 
    Woznuk, Angie M 5-5 03/29/85 El Cajon, Calif. Portland 21/9 

5. vince stravino

vince stravino New Member

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    I am a big US fan and am thinking about taking in the tourney (or part of it) in Thailand......anyone know where precisely in Thailand the games in the first round will be played. I know it is Phuket, but where on Phuket????

Thanks. Anyone else going???

6. vince stravino

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    Tickets in place. Anyone going and wanna meet up? Try wingmandeluxe@hotmail.com

Let's go Yanks!!!! Let the dynasty live on!

7. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  8. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
  9. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    is there any info about the broadcast of this tournament, tape delay or anything ?

10. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC

11. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  13. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
  14. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    It's a pity that the USA is not televising coverage of this tournament. IMHO this is the 3'rd most important women's tournament after the WWC and Olympics. This is where we get to see the future stars strut their stuff. In 2002 it Marta, Sinclair, Kara Lang, Tarpley, O'Reilly... this time around who knows? The U19 World Championships may also show which countries are progressing the fastest and just might provide some clues about what to expect in the 2007 WWC. There are 3 years before the next WWC - lots of time for the U19 stars to gain valuable maturity and experience.

It's interesting that the top 4 teams in the 2002 U19 World Championships were USA, Canada, Germany, Brazil. 3 of those countries made the top 4 in the 2003 World Cup (USA, Canada, Germany) and 3 again in the 2004 Olympics (USA, Brazil, Germany).

First games take place today and it's hard to predict exactly what will happen (except perhaps for Thailand-Germany).

Today's Games:
    Thailand vs Germany
    Australia vs Canada
    Nigeria vs China PR
    Italy vs Brazil

15. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I think the FSW can't be rulled out for the broadcast, at least semi and final just as the 2002 WC ... it's easy to have the broadcast in my opinion, just pay the Canadian TV station and there we go...... :D

16. vince stravino

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    It is the day of the Opening ceremonies. I am in Bangkok and will head over to see the all-important blowout by Germany (Gullivers) of the host (er, hostesses?) country.....Thailand. I am prepared to sweat heavily, drink more and sleep when needed.

For what it is worth, the Thai papers give the co-favorite nods to Brazil and Canada. Huh? I guess they never heard of Julie Foudy Jr. Jr.?????

Tomorrow, I head down to Phuket and watch the US play their opening match. I will try to post something here, but most of my reports will be on the Sam's Army website (www.sams-army.com).

Go Yanks!

17. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union-Tribune Article on Buehler & Woznuk

Thai Adventure

On Coach Krikorian's style:

18. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I think Angie Woznuk is the best candidate to be Foudy's replacement.

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Guess nobody got up early to follow this one:

USA 3 Korea 0

Goals from Angie Woznuk and Amy Rodruiguez in the first half and Sheree Gray in the second half.

Starting lineup was:

Harris, Buehler, Gray, Lopez, Rapinoe, Logterman, Woznuk, Sauerbrunn, Orand, Rodriguez, Holmes.

Subs: Redmond for Orand (70th minute), Hanks for Rapinoe (85th minute), Averbuch for Gray (91st minute)

Article from US soccer:

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=124836&itype=113&iCategoryID=0

20. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Amy Rodriguez was a menace all day for the US..

21. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    If we can get a Video tape/DVD of some of the later games/highlights, it can be made into a Bit Torrent for distribution.

22. vince stravino

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    Today is the second match of the group play for the US. It is at 5PM local time in Phuket. Weather (repeat daily here) "Hot, hot and hotter." Russia is the opponent. I will try to get a report out (www.sams-army.com)

The game was televised on Thai tv (against Korea).

A quickie recap of the first game........USA dominated, although Korea had a few players of note. Their goalie was very good and needed to be. But, essentially, the uS was the class team. No surprise there.

Now granted, I don't watch much youth soccer (or women's soccer), but my impressions from the first game:

1.) All the play was thru the central part of the field. The two forwards (Rapinoe and Rodriguez) and two center mids (Woznuk and ?) carried the bulk of the play. They essentially did little work to the flanks and their individual talent level was notable. Woznuk will need to learn that a simple pass at this level is far more effective than taking on every player she encounters. It got to be predictable after a while. Distibute, girl, distribute!

2.) Our forwards ability to finish one-on-ones was concerning. I would venture a guess of six or eight times there was a breakaway and our forward botched the play or at least allowed the Korean keeper to make a play. I would think at this level, forwards have to put away one-on-ones. Too cheeky and not enough boom pow!

3.)US set pieces would impress only a AYSO coach.....so far

4.) Korea had impressively dawdling defenders that could not keep up with Rapinoe and Rodriguez. The essence of the US attack was centrally placed thru balls that were run on to.......Not much different than high school ball and hardly what I think the Yanks can do against better opponents.

5.) USA missed a PK

6.) I only remember one yellow card and it was by Rapinoe. She ("Hello? McFly?") launched a ball into the net clearly several moments after the ref had stopped the flow of play for a foul. It was not the brightest move and it may prove costly as cards accumulate in the tourney. Plus, it was not classy.

7.) A sub (Redmond) was impressive only in her ability to turn the ball over in a variety of ways. Maybe she was nervous, but she was certainly out of her league in the first game. I think she turn the ball over every single time she touched it.

I might be a little bit too harsh on the team after a 3-0 win, but they are the Gold Standard of women's soccer. They will always be judged in that manner. After all, there are millions of girls who play competitively in the uS and we have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy more money and better nutrition that all these countries........they should be the best.

23. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    They win group C with a 4-1 pasting of Russia, and this time they did convert a PK in the second minute (Woznuk). Jessica Rostedt scored a pair (25th and 60th) and Megan Rapince added a 63rd minute tally. Spain awaits on Thursday, and their quarterfinal game is a week from today.

Paul

24. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I agree, except for this one, Korea very famous for their traditional medicines & Nutrition and all kind of roots nutrition or ginseng, that make their body strong like a rock !