U.S. to play exhibition against China

Discussion in 'China' started by Fevernova99, Feb 26, 2007.

1. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    it's never easy defending set pieces against a team like US with tall, strong athletic players. None of our back 4 players can match against these guys. If it's Li Weifeng or Du Wei out there, then it could been another story.

Keeper did well, but just to nitpick, I thought he was kind of slow coming out on the first goal.

I think you should just stick with watching the Olympic team. Watching the senior team is a waste of time, not to mention it's shameful to watch us get beat like whipping boys.

2. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    I'm still laughing! How about RSL ( mixed regulars and reserves ) 2 - (Not scared of the USA C team ) CHINA 1. :p and with altitude advantage, Colorado Crapids ( B- team) 3 -China 1. You are underestimating the US team. They made Japan look absolutely silly last time they met, so don't feel too bad. China seem to like to play the same style of play as the US. Maybe they can hire Bruce Arena to improve their team play.

3. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Holy cow we suck at defending the set piece as well as defending against the thru ball...

All I can say is at least we scored a goal...

4. PKchoppa

PKchoppa New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    horrible absolutly horrible , what kinda tactics is that how weak was that back four , why was dong playing on the right??? WHo is the s*** coach or manager?

5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and to think, they lost to the USMNT's B Team. I can't even imagine how out of control the score would have gotten if MLS players had been available with the Euro players already there....

Yea, no kidding. Does China always have this problem against taller teams?

6. shingkei

shingkei Member

Mar 23, 2007
    China
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    B team B team, I hate this term.
    What if I say China is B team too.:)
    Win is win, lose is lose. I don't care it's A team or B team.

7. Nova.

Nova. New Member

May 13, 2007
    Yea, no kidding. Does China always have this problem against taller teams?[/quote]

The Chinese wasn't that short of a team.:)

8. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    As long as Zhu is still the coach, it's a farce. So just sit back and enjoy the show. :)

9. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    There's absolutely no surprise that the U.S beat China. The score is slightly lob-sided but I think it's almost expected.

I agree with shingkei that it's not about A team or B team. A loss is a loss. Even if China had Zheng Zhi, Shi Jun or other European based players, we still would have lost.

Wake up Chinese supporters! This is not the same team that made the world cup in 2002 and made it to the Asian Cup finals in 2004. This is not the same team that was ranked in the high 40s and low 50s in FIFA rankings 4 years ago. It's amazing that all the Chinese supporters, including myself, are all angry at the team, but the ones who have the power to change it (i.e Coaches and CFA) are doing absolutely nothing about it.

We lost to Thailand 1-0, we're having trouble beating teams like Singapore and Iraq, so consider it a blessing that we only lost 4-1 to the U.S.

10. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ok if you say that with our A team we could've still lost then what do you want the CFA to do about it?

We have had the same problem for the last 6 years... we dont have a striker!!! Most of our vital goals came from the midfield in the 2002 WCQ, its just now our mid fielders are not stepping up the same way as before.

MLS and the CLeague are roughly the same age. So to see the MLS continuously produce players who can go to europe and not see the same thing for the CLeague is making me believe that the clubs should take some responsibility.

We now have two games against two MLS teams, if we don't win against them (esp Real SL) then I really don't want to hear from some you CLeague defenders that MLS is inferior...

11. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i feel sorry.
    4-1.
    i don't want to say something bad.
    have china football done anything that makes people envy?
    are we even sure that we are able to play at international level?

we lose to iraq.
    we almost got owned by singapore.
    we lose to thailand.

what's wrong with our team?
    i am bitterly disapointted..and i am looking forward for next game's update.

if zhu can't really do anything well..i want him off..for china's benefit.

12. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I watched through the 60th minute, so I missed the set piece abomination that ended the game, but saw those goals on highlights and it looked like what happened for much of the game.

I haven't watched a Chinese game in awhile, so what absolutely struck me was how horrendous our defense was, right down to the very basics of the game. The players were constantly standing still and not catching on to the US player's runs. The US was playing with one (crappy) striker in Razov, but the speed of Beasley and Dempsey made it so that every time the US kicked a ball forward, they had a scoring opportunity, because the defense wouldn't react and even when they did, they didn't have the speed. The sum of our defensive strategy was to stand in one place and then raise your arm up in the air after you got burned, hoping for an offsides call, then whenver the ball came anywhere near a defender, they were to immediately kick it out of bounds or back to the keeper. Absolutely pitiful!

This in light of the fact the US defense was equally horrid. The few times we put together a couple passes the US defense looked totally lost. Tie zi played a few balls into the box (in particular a gret lob in the first half that should have resulted in a goal) that created some chances. Shao Jiayi looked great, but then he was the only player that was really doing anything out there.

I stand by what I said about the game, but this Chinese side was far from what I hoped Zhu would bring to the US. When you have Li Tie covering Onyewu on corners, you have a serious problem. Why Zhu didn't make adjustments, or bring a true center back, is beyond me. Shao, Dong, and Sun Xiang are the only ones who should be part of our "A" squad and Sun didn't really show up. I am seriously disappointed as I was hoping he would bring more of the AC squad and it showed. With a little luck and a few lineup changes, this game could have been very different, but that seems to be what we always say after matches. That's it, I'm throwing in the towel, even at this late point, fire Zhu and bring in someone new, hopefully it will ignite things going into the AC and not cause a disaster. Whatever problems it causes leading up to the tournament, I don't think it matters, because with Zhu in charge I don't know if we'd even get out of the group stage...

13. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Comparing the CSL and MLS? are you kidding me? MLS is clearly superior. Let's take out the fact that the MLS is in the U.S., a well-developed nation and an economic power house, and ignore the fact that MLS teams can afford players like David Beckham and possible Zidane. MLS is much better organized (better marketing). MLS grows players where CSL corrupts players with match fix scandals. A rookie in the CSL will easily be corrupt by the likes of Li Weifeng and Fan Zhiyi. A rookie in the MSL will grow and flourish.

MLS is superior, hands down.

What can CFA do about it? Well, clean up the domestic league and get the fans back. 10 years ago, the attendance at CSL was outstanding. Why has it declined since? Because the league broke too many hearts with match fixing scandals and corrupt officials. I actually think this is the root cause of the problem.

14. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If its any consolation Iran lost to Mexico 0-4... set piece is something we can improve on, same with our defense formation. I'd be more worried about our forwards... dong doesn't appear to be the pure goal scorer but more like a man who can create, so we still need that clinical finisher for the AC.

Its way too late to switch coaches now so let him stay, as I said before the job is being warmed for the Olympic Coach (assuming he does decently well) in the fall of 2008

15. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    No, I'm not kidding, you and I are the only ones who thinks MLS is better than CSL here :)

But the match fixing is not the only problem... sadly a lot of ppl just dont care - same situation as here in the US.

16. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    CFF, I'm definitely with Fevernova on this. Come on, there has been some match fixing and corruption in the past, but you talk like every player is corrupt and fixing matches, plus you smear the names of some of the top players with little evidence. Sure Datou wasn't the best role model in Shenzhen skipping practices and stuff, but he did lead the team to a title. Also, if you have noticed, the fans are starting to come back over the past few seasons, with attendance only slightly being effected despite the move of Shenyang's team to Hunan and the move of Shanghai and Beijing's teams away from their usual home ground.

The MLS has only gotten respectable marketing this season with the ESPN2 commercials (a long discussion could be had about the effectiveness of them). To say the CSL doesn't have money for big name players is false as I believe Changchun (or one of the other teams) put up a big money offer for Zidane, though he turned it down (and if you haven't noticed, he hasn't taken any offers from MLS yet either). The problem isn't the money issue, its finding players who are willing to go to a drastically different culture where they don't speak the language at all and, I think most importantly, will be treated with the same reverance (or even more so) than they would in Europe. With the exception of Beckham and maybe 2 or 3 other players, most soccer stars could roam around freely in New York, LA, or Chicago and maybe, MAYBE be recognized by a handful of people. This sort of freedom from the media makes the US a very attractive refuge.

The US is a well-developed nation and an economic powerhouse, but what about China? It's not like we're talking about some tiny country in Africa here! Beyond that, what does that have to do with the quality of a soccer league anyways? Argentina and Mexico aren't exactly economic powerhouses and yet both have strong leagues, even stronger than the MLS.

The CSL has done a decent job of developing talent, but I do think it needs to do more extending down further and reaching out to younger kids, creating full clubs. This goes to cultural issues and promoting young kids free time instead of studying, but that's another story.

On the field, I think the leagues are pretty comparable, its the off the field stuff. The CSL has done a good job cleaning itself up and this needs to continue and those in charge need to be vigilant about it. The lack of money(?) causing the constant search for a "title sponser" is not a good thing, though hopefully Kingway will stay on for awhile.

It can be argued the CSL actually has some strengths over the MLS, including having relegation and having single team ownership, but its lack of sugar daddies like the Hunt family and AEG has hurt it. Also, I think the total coverage of soccer in China has an effect on things. "Eurosnobs" in the US are forced to pay "high" prices for soccer channels or head to pubs every weekend (and home access to these channels has only existed in the past few years) whereas in China if you tune into a sports station over the weekend, you receive live EPL, Spanish, and Italian league coverage, have an almost daily soccer newspaper, and a few different weekly soccer magazines. Soccer fans in the US are a bit starved for coverage (at least they were) and so MLS, despite its lack of quality, is something more people turn to than in China, where options abound. That said, the fans are starting to come back and an exciting title race this season could help to really bring them back. I also think major changes need to be made with the CFA and making it more independent and fan friendly.

At the end of the day, the MLS and CSL both have major flaws, I don't think its possible to say that the MLS is superior hands down. I think on and off the field the leagues are almost equal, though the money thrown down the toilet that has been the MLS (12 years(?), millions of dollars, and only 1 side (or is it 2) to have ever turned a profit) is a major advantage that just doesn't exist in the CSL.

17. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Best post.

18. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    The likes of Li Weifent and Fan Zhiyi are just two examples of bad leaders on the team. There are many many more. I think it's reasonable that Zidane turned down Changchun. I don't think it's a cultural issue. The french & spanish cultures are very different yet he did not turn down Real Madrid. I think he turned it down b/c he does not respect the CSL enough to play in it. The skill level at CSL is so inadequate that good players like Zidane may get injurred, b/c the only way crappy defence can stop good players is by playiing dirty.

U.S is a economic power house, period. China's GDP needs to grow at 8% annually for the next 30 years in order to catch up to the U.S. So I feel bad comparing MLS and CSL, b/c it's not fair. MLS has a better infrastructure, therefore, it has a huge advantage. But even taking that aside, CSL is still loosing the the MLS.

19. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
  20. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Real Salt Lake vs. China, Friday 9:00am Beijing Time

GK: Yang Jun

DF: Li Yan, Ji Mingyi, Zhang Yaokun, Zhang Shuai

MF: Wang Dong, Zhao Xuri, Li Tie, Cao Yang

FW: Dong Fangzhuo, Qu Bo

Sina

21. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    godson plays again. surprise surprise.

Prediction: China lose again.

22. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    The outright nepotism is disgusting. :mad:

23. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    how come Li Yan play in defense !!!!!! he is not supose to be a DM? and glassman who play on the middle, Zhu is walking on the head that not possible to be stupid like that

24. Nova.

Nova. New Member

May 13, 2007
    Where's Shao Jiayi and Sun Xiang? Are they playing as back ups?

25. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Sun Xiang is back to play for Shenhua in A3