U.S. to play exhibition against China

Discussion in 'China' started by Fevernova99, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  2. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    hmm...if I'm in the US, it looks like I'm heading to San Jose this summer...I would imagine both sides will bring their best squads as the US will use this as prep for the Copa America and China will use it to prepare for Asian Cup...

3. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure this is the right place to ask:

Just out of curiousity, is China's team any good? I really don't know that much about them or their recent performance.

The US doesn't exactly play a lot of Asian teams in friendlies.

4. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Certain players are good. The team sucks. No passing, no strategy, no brains.

5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're seriously that bad? I suppose it'll be an interesting friendly nonetheless.

6. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    X is being overly pessimistic...The team has a lot of talent and just needs to come together, unfortunately due to one crappy coach after another, an optimal and consistent lineup hasn't been found, but I expect by the time we play the US, things should be pretty much nailed down as the Asian Cup is soon after.

China is definitely good enough to beat the US and will give them a very competitive game.

7. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    The A-team is good enough to give US a run for the money. To give you an idea, here's some of our Euro-based players:

Zheng Zhi MF/FW Charlton Athletics
    Sun Jihai RB Man City
    Sun Xiang LB PSV
    Shao Jiayi MF Energie Cottbus
    Dong Fangzhuo FW Man United

8. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Sun Jihai and Shao Jiayi are good. Haven't see Zheng Zhi, Sun Xiang and Dong Fangzhuo yet.

But I think US is on level or little better than Australia, so a good test for Chinese team.

9. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Dong is awesome.

10. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiousity, this friendly's going to be a FIFA date, right, so it won't be both teams' 3rd strings playing each other?

11. dalianho

dalianho New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Toronto-CDN
    i just hope their will be enough support for the chinese team. but its san jose

12. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    It is a FIFA date.

13. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't the majority of the summer be considered a FIFA date? All of Europe is off.

14. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Probably. Most of Europe anyways.

15. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Just noticed this is 3/4 days before the first gold cup game for the US, so it will reflect their squad for the gold cup.

China - I'm not too sure what kind of a squad, Asian cup is still 1 month away so evaluations might still be underway... plus it appears to be a 1 game and not a mini tour so you only have one game to try different things.

It will be interesting to see China on US tv again... first time in about 5 years...

16. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002

On TV? Not gonna make the trip out?

17. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    BEIJING (Reuters) - China will play three matches in the United States as part of their preparations for July's Asian Cup finals, the Chinese Football Association (CFA) said on Thursday.

China will train in the U.S. from May 31 to June 11, playing the U.S. national team and two Major League Soccer (MLS) clubs, CFA spokesman Dong Hua said.

Local media reported that the MLS clubs would be former England captain David Beckham's new team Los Angeles Galaxy and Colorado Rapids but Dong said the opposition had yet to be fixed.

Beckham would not be available to play for the Galaxy in any case as he is committed to seeing out his contract at Real Madrid, which ends on June 30.

China, runners-up to Japan at the last Asian Cup in 2004, will also play Thailand at Bangkok's Rajamangala Stadium on May 16 before heading to the U.S., Dong confirmed.

The Chinese team will also play Hong Kong in late June to mark the 10-year anniversary of the handover of power from Britain to China.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-chinadc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

18. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    No thanks - I'm still tramatized by the giant stadium China vs Metrostars experience :) Are you going? Anyone else here going?

Looks like a few more games on the west coast! So maybe it will be our Asian Cup squad after all!

19. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Ahh, I can understand that...If I'm in the US I'm going, though right now I think I'll be watching from the motherland. I am hoping to go to the Asian Cup though.

20. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Didnt Xfactor berate some Aussie for not going to the Aus China game? Where is that Aussie? He should be "encouraging" xfactor to make the trip to San Jose...

21. cbg015

cbg015 Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Oakland, CA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should be there. I'm Chinese-American (born here) and more of a USMNT fan but I'll be at the game nonetheless. I'll probably wear my China NT jersey with my USMNT scarf (or vice-versa.)

I have my doubts about there being a large Chinese fan contingent. China played the US in Oakland in 2000 and the game only drew 8K (maybe 2000 of them Chinese.) Most Chinese-Americans in the Bay Area are from Taiwan or Hong Kong and generally don't care much about soccer.

Even though I'm a big US fan, and born here, I've become interested in the China NT. In 2004, my interest in Chinese soccer grew after I spent time in the "hotbed" of Chinese soccer: Northeast China (Dalian, Qingdao, Taishan, Jinan, Beijing.)

22. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nice!! Glad to see some of the fans can make it! Although you might be the only one in stands with a China jersey :)

US soccer is not at the same state as in 2000, I think the game will draw a decent crowd - maybe not a sell out but still decent.

23. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I'm not as optimistic about attendance, depending on the time, and its probably an early afternoon start time, I'd say it will be under 15,000, of which about 25% will be Chinese.

24. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get more Chinese to come to the stadium, just say it's a friendly in ping pong or snooker.

They'll come then!!! :p

25. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    that is what happened to me during France vs China ;) :p the pple look at u like an alien especialy if u r not chinese