U.S. MNT at Lambeau?

Discussion in 'Milwaukee' started by Epikoinos, Jul 27, 2007.

1. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2006/12/07/2/

2. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warren, as your own quote shows, there is a bit of crest. It is not a violation of NFL rules - this is where the term "running up field" and "running down field" comes from. Go to your local high school football stadium, and facing across the field, lay down on the sideline. You will find you can't see across the entire field because of the crest in the center of the field. Your article does state, however, that the crest is minimal, so that's good. Nevertheless, this still may invalidate an official international game (just like the only US game played at County Stadium - vs. East Germany, which I attended in my youth - was invalidated as an official game because they used square posts rather than round posts), so I'm sure FIFA and US Soccer would check on this.

3. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope not, but on what authority do you have this information? Do you work for FIFA or US Soccer? And I really don't mean for that to sound crass, I am geniunely interested. Because if you don't work for either entity, you can hope it would be scratched from consideration but you don't know that for sure. Furthermore, it may not scratch it from consideration but it may be enough that adjustments have to be made. If so, then it's in the Packers' hands. Lastly, I never said it would be scartched from consideration but that if adjustments were required but weren't made, "a game could be invalidated - such as the last game in [Wisconsin] was." A game has to be played first before it can be invalidated. If it was scratched, then it would have never had the opportunity to be invalidated. Big difference there.

5. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately I do not work for either entity, but one degree cannot be that big of a deal considering how official CONCACAF matches are played on the atrocious pitches in El Sal and Cuba.

Maybe not the WC, but I certainly think other events are certainly possible.

6. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's the thing, other events aren't possible, which is the crux of the matter. It would be cool to see the US play at Lambeau, but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

As I've been stating, the only way games happen at Lambeau is if it's for the World Cup. Friendlies won't be played there, Gold Cup games won't be played there, even qualifiers won't be played there. None of those events would be cost prohibitive. And it's not just my assumption, that comes straight out of the mouth of USSF President Sunil Gulati. See below:

7. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly think those adjustments can be made to Lambeau in the next 9-13 years. The one degree decline and width of the pitch can certainly be fixed in that time frame.

8. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously it CAN be done, but your missing the point. It will ONLY be done if the World Cup is coming to Lambeau. Reread my post. I never said it can't be done, it's just a matter of whether it's cost prohibitive. Simply put - if the World Cup is coming, it will be done. If not, it won't be done. It doesn't get any more cut and dry than that.

9. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the last statement. I do feel that Camp Randall is a much more viable option cost-wise. But Lambeau is so special in itself.

10. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Having any game in Wisconsin would be amazing!!

11. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003
    if you made the modifications to Lambeau Field (the WC would be the excuse to do so) it would become a permanent site for USMNT, GC and international club friendlies-at times of the year when the Packers don't play...in other words, found money for the city (remember that the stadium is municipally owned)...

12. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would also serve something for mexico.

Sure Columbus is Mexico's graveyard, but Lambeau would be their Hell for WCQs. (Yes we can because of CONCACAF's standards, not FIFA's) I pray they will make the modifications, IMO, Wisconsin is an untapped soccer goldmine. The NT would become the second beloved team, behind the Packers of course.

13. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Particularly when you consider that Jay DeMerit is a Green Bay native...

14. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh Lambo, future USMNT star is from Middleton.

DeMerit got called into the last qualies camp and there was a big article in the Journal Sentinel (big Milwaukee paper) about him:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/soccer/42025567.html

15. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, your unrealistic expectation will never have the chance of being met. Second beloved team? I don't think so. Not even close. Which is why the Packers have removed themselves as potential hosts. The remaining 45 stadiums were announced today - 45! And Lambeau was not one of them.