U.S. general tells Israelis war will start by late November

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, Aug 29, 2002.

1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I didn't know yoy could "install a democratic regime," but here goes:

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/breaking_2.html

TEL AVIV — The United States has told Israel that it will attack Iraq before the end of November.

Israeli military sources said a a senior U.S. military visited Israel earlier this week and toured facilities where the U.S. military has prepositioned equipment and weapons for an emergency in the Middle East.

The sources quoted a visiting U.S. general who heads army logistics as saying that Washington intends to strike the regime of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein by late November.

In joint military discussions earlier this summer, Pentagon officials said Iraq would be only the first stop in the U.S. war on terror, an Israeli parliamentarian said.

Yuval Steinetz, chairman of the Knesset subcommittee on military doctrine, said he held talks with senior Pentagon officials in June regarding Washington's vision of a post-Saddam Middle East. Steinetz said Washington envisions a new order in the Middle East after Saddam is toppled and a democratic regime is installed.

2. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "In joint military discussions earlier this summer, Pentagon officials said Iraq would be only the first stop in the U.S. war on terror, an Israeli parliamentarian said."

So I guess Afghanistan was just a warm-up, a friendly, if you will.

"Yuval Steinetz, chairman of the Knesset subcommittee on military doctrine, said he held talks with senior Pentagon officials in June regarding Washington's vision of a post-Saddam Middle East. Steinetz said Washington envisions a new order in the Middle East after Saddam is toppled and a democratic regime is installed."

Yeah, you gotta love this. We've got such a great track record installing democracies. Let's see

oh, I

right

uh

Grenada,

..What's Panama's political system again?

A "new order" in the Middle East. Who is he Mussolini?

Hey GT, I think you found the Onion of international politics.

3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Japan, Germany, Italy .... Not to say that it will be easy, but it has been done.

Gringo, how reliable is this news source?? That seems like an awful short timetable. We would have to start a serious buildup almost immediately. Unless we have a ton of unknown armored columns and airborner columns ready to rush out of Turkey.

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The World Tribune is not very reliable at all.

5. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If I am reading things correctly, you were the one who posted the link. Why would you post a link to a "not very reliable source"? Ok, ok, I'll let you off the hook since other clowns post links to unreliable sources too, like the NY Times and Washington Post.

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > That seems like an awful short timetable. We
    > would have to start a serious buildup almost
    > immediately. Unless we have a ton of unknown
    > armored columns and airborner columns ready to
    > rush out of Turkey.

It is very strange. There are no mainstream media reports of mobilization, but I do hear lots of little things here and there, such as examples of heavy use of Air Force transports, or eye-witnesses to mobilization of reserve shipping.

I think a mobilization is taking place, and has been for the last few months. However, it is not a large mobilization of the type used in the Gulf War. I think one of the "on-the-cheap" plans Bush the Younger has is about to be sprung, or the groundwork is being laid for a real invasion early next year.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it has, a co-worker of mine was in the Army Reserves in Armor and his unit was deactivated a few years ago and he went IRR. Well his unit was reactivated a couple weeks ago as well as a couple other Armor reserve units. He is very anti-war right now and said that he would agree to return to duty, only if he was able to be an instructor. He said he has no desire to go to Iraq and fight for something that he and most of the military don't believe in.

They've been reactivating a number or reserve units very quietly.