U of Memphis

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by UofMSoccer, Oct 26, 2004.

1. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    I post under TigerTim at ncaabbs. I run into you everywhere online, wheter it be here or there or OOTP or even FOFC. Weird stuff.

2. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stalking is illegal.

3. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    Hey! You follow me around. You know the new FM is out.

4. UofMSoccer

UofMSoccer New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Re: Congrats to Coach Grant & the U of Memphis Men's squad!

How was Memphis properly seeded?

1. They won their conference regular season and conference tourney. Something not many teams can claim this year.

2. 14 games unbeaten coming into the tourney.

3. Beat UAB twice, SLU twice, and beat a good USF team. UAB was worthy of a tournament bid at 12-5. USF could also have made an argument for a bid at 10-5-2.

4. Conference USA isn't the hardest conference but it is very competitive. With perennial powerhouse SLU and teams like USF and UAB (and now Memphis), C-USA is on the rise. At one point in the season, C-USA had four teams ranked in the top 25.

It seems almost impossible for smaller programs to break into the higher seeds because so much emphasis is based on strength of schedule. I think the committee needs to put more emphasis on teams end of year form, conference tourney play, and consistency.

5. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004

Strength of schedule is what it's about. SLU is a mediocre team still living in the past. They have not been tested by the true power house teams so why should they be given the benefit of the doubt? It's great they got in but it is naive to think they deserve a top 16 seed or even a middle 16 seed notwithstanding your reference to the polls, many of which are silly and managed by biased groups who are influenced by ridiculous factors much of the time. Good luck to your team but I would be surprised if they even survive the first round against Ohio State. We'll see.

6. UofMSoccer

UofMSoccer New Member

Oct 26, 2004

Would someone please explain why Old Dominion got a top 16 seed? They did not win their conference regular season or the conference tourney. They do not have a very strong schedule. And have an unimpressive record of 13-5-2. :confused:

7. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004

Now do you understand what I was trying to tell you Memphis supporters?

8. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Same thing happened to us (UWM) 2 years ago..we had a 19-1-1 record were ranked as high as #8 and at bracket time were ranked #11...didn't get a first round bye. However that team was actually very good despite not haveing the high strength of schedule..Crieghton was very fortunate to advance in that i2nd round ice bowl game..then they went on to the final four.