TyC Sports

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Dave141, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ
    I receive the SkyREPORT E-mail newsletter and noticed this small item at the bottom:

INTERNATIONAL: DirecTV Adds TyC Sports

DirecTV said TyC Sports, Argentina's top sports network, will join its DirecTV Para Todos Opcion Ultra Especial package on March 1. Futbol Argentino leads the TyC Sports lineup, with nine live weekly matches and coverage of the three principal league divisions. TyC Sports also televises boxing, basketball, local volleyball tournaments and auto racing, DirecTV said.

There is nothing at all on the DirecTV web site, and the customer service rep I spoke with knew nothing about it. I also did a Google search to see if I could find any other news mention and found nothing.

Before I get too excited, I would like to get see some confirmation from another source. This would certainly soften the pain of not having ESPN Deportes on my DirecTV Para Todos system.

2. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ
    Here is the E-mail exchange I had today with TyC Sports:

My question to them:

"Hay un informe sobre un servicio de noticias basado en los satélites que TyCSports estará disponible en los Estados Unidos vía DirecTV Para Todos que comienza de marcha la 1. ¿Es eso verdad?"

[My Spanish is not so good, but I asked whether they could verify the truth of a satellite news service item which indicated that they would be available on DirecTV Para Todos starting on March 1st.]

Their response is as follows:

"Asi es, a partir del 1 de Marzo esta disponible nuestra señal en Direct TV."

[Again, my Spanish is not so good, but I believe they answered that yes, it is true that they will be on DirecTV starting on March 1st.]

If my translation of their response is not correct, I would appreciate any assistance, but this seems like awfully good news.

3. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    This is very interesting.

It takes almost a year, but TyC Sports USA finally made it.

This service was first launched about a year ago. I even received some of the games on FTA Ku-band for a week or two. Then it became a channel on Globecast's platform. It's rate is $19.99/month with a separate receiver at $199.99:

http://www.globecastwtv.com/ch_tycsports_eng.htm

I guess they have a hard time selling with that kind of pricing.

DirecTV's tug-of-war with ESPN Deportes is the perfect situation for TyC Sports USA to sneak into the regular DBS platform. Now with TyC Sports USA, we can pretty much forget about ESPN Deportes on DirecTV Para Todos.

Look at the TyC Sports USA's inventory:

http://www.tycsports.com.ar/programacion/programacion.asp

Click on the "Programacion Internacional Semana Actual" to download the XLS file. You'll not be thrilled. Basically all games are Argentinian Primera and Primera 2. Unless you are an Argie, why would you watch 10 Argentinian games per week? especially in the past decade, all the top players are sold to Europe. The Argentinian clubs are like the farm clubs of Europe.

The domestic version of TyC sports carry other leagues and international games, but they can't show those games in the U.S.A because of rights issues.

Now I sympathize those people who paid $199.99 for the DVB receiver. It will be useless after TyC Sports USA totally withdraws from Globecast.

4. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ
    rangers00,

I agree with most of your points, although I have to say I was excited to get the channel since it has yet to cost me anything extra and I enjoy watching Argentine soccer. Like you, I assumed Globecast would not be too pleased at the likely impact on its service, but then I noticed this item from today's SkyREPORT:

GlobeCast Supports TyC Delivery - GlobeCast said it's supporting the delivery of Argentina sports net TyC Sports to DirecTV subscribers. TyC is being delivered to DirecTV via the GlobeCast WorldTV International Satellite Programming Service, the company said.

Can someone (Oliver, etc.) explain this to me?

5. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    GlobeCast is handling the re-uplink of TyC Sports USA from Miami to DirecTV in El Segundo, California (south of the Los Angeles Int'l Airport, where Chevron has an Oil Refinery.)