Twellman out for the year with stress fracture...

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by American40, Oct 9, 2003.

1. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just when it started to look like things were getting better ...

:(

monty

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad for Twellman. I feel bad for him. I'm sure this is a frustrating year for him.

Feel bad for you guys.

4. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really going to lose sleep over it. I'm looking forward to seeing Moore and Noonan up top together.

It is very unfortunate though.

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ouch, this really hurts. But we've won games without him and the way the midfield is clicking, i don't see why that would change. Get well Twellman, we need you next spring.

6. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    The first time I was, as my Rhode Island based attorney says, a-scared for Twellman came last year when he did that torpedo-like header against DC United. Nasty goal. But, I remarked to myself, "That mofo's crazy." I was literally stunned. Not only by the proficiency and the clinical finish, but by the sheer ballsiness that it took to even consider such a move. No doubt the United players had to be thinking the same.

The never-ending pursuit of a goal. Despite the potential for injury and for life and limb. That's what Twellman's about.

Injuries, however, were one of my biggest fears for Twellman. And, based on what I've seen, will always be.

Twellman obviously doesn't have an on-off switch. There's no neutral in him at all. It's always on and always on high and always wants to win.

It was inevitable given the balls-to-the-wall style he plays. These type of potentially lingering injuries aren't going to help him in the longterm.

I just hope there's enough of him left by the time he turns 27.

Enjoy him, too. These type of players don't come around very often.

In any case, and more importantly, I wish him nothing but the best going forward. And, I'm not surprised.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Seems like Nicol is getting pretty cagey about disclosing injuries.

Twellman says that he knew he broke his foot right away. I'm sure they would have sent him for an xray right after the game (or at latest the next day). You shouldn't need an MRI to diagnose a broken bone!

Now, JMM is saying that he's still having problems with his knee and can't kick and tackle the way he should - and that he's hoping to rest until the playoffs! This after SN sat him against Dallas for precautionary reasons...

I still haven't seen any real evaluation of Franchino's injury.

Seems like Nicol is taking injury reporting lessons from Bill Belichick.

8. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure they did do an xray right away and knew the diagnosis immediately.

The MRI helps determine the extent of the break and may help confirm that this is acute rather than a chronic, non-healing problem. This information than helps decide the treatment (cast vs surgery), whether its an injury that can continue to be played on, and what is the length of time the person will be sidelined.

Maybe Nicol is cagey about injuries and their extent but my opinion is that they were just waiting until all the facts were in before making the prognosis public.

9. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Nicol's done alright on his own. Like that portly guy who used to coach here used to say, "I'm in the business of collecting information, not giving it out."

However, it's been evident from the git go that Nicol's got a lot in common with the other football coach he shares the same address with.

Nicol once told me that when he was still playing for Liverpool that he never talked to press at all. He had no use for them. "A bunch of slaggers," he said at the time of the English press.

I can't complain about him. He's not going to offer up information and he's not going give you the best copy, but he does answer direct questions, as much as it may pain him at times.

10. Beast_Ed

Beast_Ed Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Boston MetroWest
    I was bummed to learn of the season-ending injury .. but was pretty darn pleased to see that despite all his set backs, look at what a nice sophmore year TnT had ! No slump for him. Fact, I wonder how he stacks up next to all the other MLS goal scoring champs.

He'll be called up for the Nats as soon as he's healed.

Beast_Ed

11. RodneyMunch

RodneyMunch New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    That's a damn shame

Taylor can sit with us and watch the playoffs. Hope it was worth kicking a dead dog and scoring those goals against Dallas last week.

12. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Re: That's a damn shame

My nomination for bitter post of the month...

13. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    so do the revs get to go out and find a "marqueee replacement" for losing TT?

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "I am sure they did do an xray right away and knew the diagnosis immediately..."

Ahhh, but how immediate is "immediately?" Dragon Stadium ain't extacly on par with Gillette in terms of resources. My guess is that they don't have an x-ray machine on site there, with both Nicol and Twellman making judgement calls at the time on the extent of the injury.

The Magpie

15. RodneyMunch

RodneyMunch New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Frontier medicine

No, they don't have an x-ray machine at Dragon stadium. Get real. They don't even have regular plumbing for the whole place. General admission has to use porta potties next to the visitor locker room. It would be very easy to kidnap a player and lock him in one for an Alabama roller.

16. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

O, probably that night at the local ER.

17. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Have the Revs moved to NY or LA? ;)

18. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I'm sure that the Patriots have the only keys to most of the rooms with "extra resources"...