Twellman Offer Declined

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by JoeW, Jan 7, 2008.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    In Steve Goff's last post on his blog soccer insider, he indicates that a European team made an offer for Taylor Twellman but NE (ala Shalrie Joseph) declined the transfer offer. No indication what the team was and if they'll come back again with a higher offer. I got the impression from Goff that it wasn't a case of the offer wasn't high enough but rather since he's under contract, NE doesn't have to sell and therefore won't.

2. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Well, it shouldn't be a surprise given how well Twellman has played consistently and the numbers he puts up.

But without anything more substantial in terms of names or $, this could have been an over-30 European pub team that inquired about his services.

3. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I'd take an offer for Twellman assuming it was a hefty price tag ($6-$7m?) and knowing that we'd replace him (Fowler?) but let's not fool ourselves....

4. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I hope they reject all offers; this team would be far less than it is without Twellman.

5. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman is not worth 6-7million.

6. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman seems like the type that now that he's getting paid decently, he's happy to stay here(in the US) for the rest of his career. I dont think he enjoyed playing in Europe at all, he's kind of got a Donovan vibe to him in that way, whatever though, makes the Revs better.

7. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Revs 1 - 0 Fire.

8. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Berbatov isn't worth $62m, but people are willing to pay it.

9. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This wouldn't be worth mentioning if it was a pub team with a ridiculous offer (say...$150k to purchase him). The combination of reading into what Goff posted and prior Rev mgmt actions, my interpretation is that NE really isn't interested in selling players (look at Shalrie Joseph). Dempsey is one of the few examples of a player who left while under contract (and he seemed to really force that decision). The Revs mgmt doesn't seem eager to invest in overseas talent or spend allocation money and that works only to the extent that the team doesn't have to replace much departing talent.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like it or not, he's right. If Dempsey, a younger and arguably more talented player, is only worth $4m why would you think Twellman would get more. The offer last year was only around $1m IIRC. I'd guess at best, this offer was around the same range.

11. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    We can find a "replacement" for Dempsey. Dorman, Thompson and Ralston slotted in and did a decent job. When Twellman was gone, Cristman scored maybe three goals?

As I said, if we can find a replacement, someone we can rely on to score goals (Emilio-esque) I'd be fine with the offer, but I know we won't, so it's not really worth discussing is it?

12. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Since Dempsey was signed and has proven himself, the value of MLS players has to have gone up. I guarantee that there are people who Clint has beaten out for playing time who pulled a 2-3 million pound transfer fee in the past. If Fulham goes down, they could probably sell him for twice what they paid for him.

I'm not saying that there are people breaking the door down to lay 3 million pounds on Twellman, but there are players in the prem he is better than who were sold for more.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pesos maybe

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Maybe we'll learn the club tomorrow: it is Tuesday, which means we should expect something from FDA in the Boston Globe.

15. ZZZenga

ZZZenga Member

Aug 10, 2006
    CT
  16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    On one hand, TT would be fine in the CCC; it's his kind of game, and I think he might excel. He has never (ever) had the chance to play second forward to a true center forward (say behind Kevin Phillips at WBA), and I would love to see him have the chance to do real poaching. On the other hand, PNE are bottom dwellers, because their forwards are awful. They're going to get relegated, and there's no need for TT to go down with that ship.

As Nathan said, regardless of what we were paid for Twellman, the likelihood that he would be replaced by someone of equal stature is doubtful. If I (we) had reason to have that kind of confidence in management, it would be a better world.

17. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what he meant it would take that size of an offer to make it worth it to the Revs.

As someone once said your worth what ever someone is willing to pay for you.

And it's not just a matter of a player of equal skill but finding someone that can fit into their system and be the focal point of the attack would be very difficult for any teams front off to pull off. The most likely event would be the revs would need to enter a short team rebuilding mode witch is why they can justify a large transfer fee for TT.

18. DGags

DGags Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Thread City, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman scored every goal in the playoffs and without him we would have never made it that far. I don't think you can justify trading away a player who not only contends for league MVP every year, but one who means so much to the squad.

19. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet to some, they want to see him off the team.

20. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I just hope they get this all sorted out before the draft. It's our only chance to add players to the roster this year.

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since MLS owns Taylors contract and not the Revs do they have the power to sell Taylor if they get an offer that they think makes good business sense even if the Revs say no?

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Fire and RedBull players. :eek:

23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO. From what I've read in quotes from various sources the team always has veto power over any sale.

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

25. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's interesting. The league policy used to be based on a threshold. If the bid was over, say, 5 mil, then it would be automatically accepted.

I know that player control has been devolving to the teams though.