Twellman: MLS and Altidore in discussions.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FoxBoro 143, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely. GOOD grounds keeping.

2. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    you hear that, Fire FO and Toyota Park staff! :p

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Watching grass grow may be more interesting than Sunderland. Watching it die is not.

Wait, maybe it is?

4. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    depends on how emo you're feeling at the time

5. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    reading this thread is like watching grass grow...

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posting this in a couple of threads because I think its relevant to a couple of different discussions we've been having:

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci...set-soccers-version-peyton-manning?source=rss

If that's the case, why was only TFC allowed to talk to Jozy's agent?

7. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I get the impression TFC management played hardball with MLS as they had all the cards. My friend at MLSE indicates MLS is rather upset with TFC because of the way it went down.

sitruc repped this.
  8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yeah, I'm sure MLS is really upset that they have Altidore in the league for 2015 rather than Defoe.

9. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am assuming because Defoe was the key component to the deal but in reality who knows.

10. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i get the impression that since the "league" needed to use the tfc asset of defoe, to swap for jozy, that would have meant that any other team that wanted jozy would have had to "buy" defoe from tfc (ie compensate them for losing their asset and not getting back an asset of equal value). that is what the stuff ali c said about it being to expensive for rbny to get jozy made it sound like to me.

11. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Not what I was saying - basically - MLS wanted to use allocation orders or blind draws or whatever. The fact that TFC had the leverage here, and used it, hasn't gone over well at MLS HQ.

tab5g repped this.
  12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    DPs have quite regularly caused strain amongst the collective league HQ and those "biggest/richest" clubs who can and do afford the highest paid players in the league.

But on the whole, the DP initiative is good and collectively well-liked by MLS -- the very business that created the initiative and has benefitted from it, even as it may in some ways work against and strain the league's single-entity-ness.

13. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Well, yeah. Compared to the alternative (for MLS) a few high-priced DPs is way more tolerable. It's like the best of both worlds for them. They get the glamour and marketing oomph to draw more fans and better TV contracts without opening the floodgates of rosters filled with millionaires and wage bills above $30 million per team. Short of paying that kind of scratch, it's probably the best bang for the buck.

tab5g repped this.
  14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I could easily make a compelling argument - and I have on the related threads - that a hard cap set near the top of the actual spending by the richest clubs would be of a greater benefit than a mix of three $7M/Y and eight $250K/Y players.

A TFC with two players in the $3M range - and none of Bradley, Altidore or Giovinco is worth more than that - and eight making $1M would be a far superior club for about a similar $15M-$17M outlay (TFC will spend close to $20M, btw).

This will be a mix of sizzle and skill. What TFC has now is unlikely to be far different from the last season, with neither the sizzle nor the skill.

15. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Ohhhh, a better team! If you want the best team for the money, then yes, the current system is nuts.

tab5g repped this.
  16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    MLS prides itself on marketing.

And trying to market a desirable product.

Does the "DPs and others" approach work, or would something else work better?

Hard to know.

And hard to know what the league's real goals are -- and if there are business challenges and realities that cause conflicts between "building the best teams" and "building the best and most-sustainable business entity."

Eventually, I think those two will intersect, but for now the business/marketing decisions are continuing to win out within the single-entity ahead of the competitive concerns of how MLS teams can always/consistently beat the likes of Pachuca or Saprissa or whomever.

tomásbernal repped this.