Twellman is taking no prisoners

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Bruce S, Sep 8, 2002.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A toupee. Take it to the bank.

Al is a little older now than during his "Miracle on Ice" days but I am sure all these digital processors contribute heavily to making Al sound with a bit more oomph. I know a little - and on the low end of little - about the various musical recording and performance tricks and how the old timers like Eric Clapton and Paul Stanley sing a lot better these days than they did forty years ago even when they are performing "live".

2. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman is obnoxious. So anything he says is going to grate on some people.
    I'm surprised they gave him the job.
    I like Chris Sullivan as a USMNT announcer.
    Knows the game as well, and isn't offensive in any way.

NMMatt repped this.
  3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sullivan is a classic number fifteen.

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    TT was a bit more reserved initially, and when trying out for the job. As he has gotten merge secure his true personality is coming out.

He is obnoxious, but don't forget the whining. Known as a big complainer and whiner also.

orcrist repped this.
  5. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Example?

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is. He acts like he's back in an MLS locker room as one of the better players and can just say anything. He acts and talks like a conceded, arrogant frat boy. Just completely unprofessional.

As I've said, Maca was ten times the player Taylor ever was, yet there's never a hint of arrogance when he announces with Darke. Yet Twellman of all people acts like he can put Darke in his place?

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, and honestly I was duped. I liked him early on, but with every passing game I hear him call, he's coming off more and more as a nearly Harkes-level douchebag. He still has to ratchet it up a notch to catch up to Captain For Life, though.

8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Most of it is ego combined with insecurity.

Seen it a thousand times at the office.

TT reeks of it.

9. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    his shirt is too tight

ScrappytheSeal4 repped this.
  10. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I'd prefer a journalist in the role of color commentator. Someone who knows US Soccer and our sporting culture to complement Ian Darke, who does a fine enough job himself of analyzing the game
    in front of him. Or if they have to go the ex-player route, get a more marginal and less opinionated player. I mean in baseball, football and basketball, the best broadcasters tend not to be the former greats, rather bit players or journalists. Leave the ex-jocks to battle it out with Lalas et. al. in studio during the pregame and half time.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    A good color commentator needs to be encyclopedic in his knowledge of the game. He can tell you a lot about each player on the field, and about the players he played with or against, interesting incidents, etc. The color guy is a lore master, and his power of recollection must be matched by the calm beauty of his narrative.

12. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian Darke doesn't analyze the game at all. He tells you what's happening, but doesn't decipher it. And Twellman isn't a former great, so I don't know how he doesn't fit your criteria.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN should hire Brian McBride. Unfortunately he doesn't fit their loudmouth, meathead announcing template that is used across all sports on their networks.

Jumbalaya repped this.
  15. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Pretty funny I just posted a similar thought in Deuce's YA thread.

16. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

I love Darke/Macca for the early Sat. espn games... I wish we had a color guy the level of Macca.

17. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was a bit puzzling when he described Spurs as playing a 4-3-1 a man short....

stonejh127 repped this.