Tv Soccer Show Needs Your Help

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Trent, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Trent

Trent New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Hello

I am working on a soccer documentary for a major U.S. channel. The documentary is based around the USA v.s. MEXICO rivalry and in particular the 1997 world cup qualifiers played on 20th April 97 and then on 2nd November 97. Both games were a draw. I would love to contact people who have video, photo’s, memorabilia, insight into the players, coaches and their rivalry with the other team and also within the team. Plus i'd like to hear from you if you were at either of those games.

I would also like to know the history of the rivalry and also information about the players from the 98 world cup team, including information on Steve Sampson, and Bora. What they’re up to now, contact information, character information, who is friends with who, who hates who, who doesn’t like Steve Sampson etc.

Thanks for your help

Trent

2. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
  3. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Mexico at US was at Foxboro (the old one)

Mexico opened the scoring on a Keller clearance deflecting off the head of Carlos Hermosillo and flying back 20 yards or so into an empty net. Still one of the strangest goals I've ever seen.

I remember Pope scored for us off a corner kick (with his foot). And we got the tying goal off a Mexican own goal. I think Dulio Davino headed into his own net, but I can't remember.

US at Mexico

The US trained at altitude at Big Bear, CA ahead of time. There's a famous picture of the whole team standing around in a circle holding hands with Steve Sampson.

US almost scored right away, but Dooley hit the post. Agoos got ejected for an errant elbow, if I recall correctly. Luis Garcia had a late point-blank chance for Mexico and blew it. The 0-0 result, when the US had ten men for much of the game, sealed Bora's fate as Mexico coach. They wanted him gone anyway and appointed LaPuente, I think.

4. Trent

Trent New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Thankyou so much for that information. do you have any idea where i can find that photo of them all in a cirlce. I definately need that picture.

Trent

5. westsidepunk

westsidepunk Member

May 31, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    Trent,

I hope you heed depor 15's advice and get in contact with US Soccer. If you are doing a serious program I couldn't see why that would be a problem. They probably have a ton of archived footage, pictures etc. I watched a documentary about the womens team this weekend on HBO and they had plenty of footage from all the way back to the late eighties, early nineties. I am wondering though, is there a problem talking to USSoccer? Is there any concernt that this documentary might ruffle some feathers and keep you from getting their cooperation?

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the previous poster, you could get some information from the US Soccer Federation.

Also you might want to contact the US National Team Players Association. They might be able to help you contact some of the players that were in those games.

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/footer/contact_us/

Also, you asked what Steve Sampson was doing. Well, I guess your not a soccer fan. He was coaching this last season in MLS for the LA Galexy.

http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/MLS/lag/load.jsp?section=about&content=coaches#mcnicol

Here's a breif history of the rivalry. For decades they/Mexico owned us. For the last two WCQ rounds we have out playded them.

7. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    Trent, I really think you should post your request in the USA Men section. The USA-Mexico rivalry is a heated (and I would say ugly) one, and you may not get a sense of the stakes in it until you contact US Men's National Team fans. I forget when the whole Lalas-getting-kicked thing happened (he was kicked in a sensitive area, which is only the beginning of the story), but it's a great anecdote for a documentary and I'm sure there are others like it.

8. ipswichtwn

ipswichtwn New Member

Jun 23, 2002
    Hoboken, NJ
    trent,

email me, and i can help you...ipswichtwn@aol.com

shaw

9. Sean_94

Sean_94 Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Wasn't Lalas kicked in a Gold Cup match at the Rose Bowl?