TV situation going forward

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Kryptonite, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Kryptonite, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Someone I know is convinced that the TV situation will drastically change over the next several years. Teams in larger markets and the more popular ones (think LAD, NYY, Cubs, Boston) will start their own TV channels that will be direct to consumer.

Anyone will be able to pay for the channel directly and be able to watch it 24/7 with (apparently) no blackouts. According to this other person, this really can't happen now because of "the contract with MLB.TV" which seemingly ends around 2024 or 2025.

Meanwhile, I see channels like YES for the Yankees, the Dodgers channel in LA and think/realize that these channels are already national (even though blackouts exist.)

I'm convinced that Marquee is, and will continue to be, absolutely no different than any other RSN. If it ever becomes available on streaming services like Fubo or Hulu, it'll only be available out-of-market with blackouts.

Some Hulu reps are apparently telling people that a deal with Marquee is imminent and that it's seemingly for national coverage. No blackouts since it's a national channel on a national provider.

I've seen negotiations happen too many times. If Marquee becomes available on Hulu, here's what I'd expect. The local Sinclair-owned RSN available in-market. Other ones available as an add-on with blackouts applying. Of course, the reps don't know anything related to channel negotiations. They'll make stuff up like "we hope to have a deal soon" and make it sound like it's imminent. The only people that truly know are the execs and lawyers behind closed doors.

Sidenote: This may or may not be someone who understands the concept of alternate RSNs. If two teams play at the same time on the same channel, it's obviously the channel's fault for not airing the other team until 8am the next day. (Things like capacity for a cable provider to air RSN and RSN-ALT 1-6 is like trying to teach French to a goose. Trying to explain a channel like ALT-5 that can have a Big Ten football game at noon, a regional MLS game at 5pm and an NHL game at 10pm and only the Big Ten football game is available nationally is fruitless.)

IMG_20220714_123739.jpg IMG_20220714_123751.jpg IMG_20220714_123753.jpg IMG_20220714_123755.jpg

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or am I the one in the wrong?