TV Ratings, Week 2

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jfranz, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jfranz

jfranz New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I started a thread like this last week and it quickly melted down into a Rapids suck, no RSL sucks, no Rapids suck, no you suck, mess. Am I too optmistic in my simple hope to just see a thread about TV ratings? Likely, I am. But, I'm going to start a new one anyway.

The Salt Lake TV ratings for the week 2 game at LA are in, and... wait for it... they are higher than last week; higher even than a Utah Jazz game that overlapped the second half (a half in which RSL was utterly dominated).

From the Deseret News:

KSL RATINGS: KSL's broadcast of Real Salt Lake's game at Los Angeles last Saturday earned a 3.2 rating and a six share across Utah.

The ratings breakdown means that 3.2 percent of all homes in Utah were watching RSL's opening game, while 6 percent of homes with the TV turned on were watching.

RSL's 3.2 rating peaked at 4.7 with an eight share in the second half, outdistancing a 3.0 rating and a six share the Utah Jazz earned during a crossover time period.

Full Deseret News Article

At this point, I'd be shocked to see less than 25,000 at the home opener this weekend. It's going to look great on national TV.

Now, are there any other ratings reports for other markets/nationwide? I'd like to see how things compare.

2. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Wow that's good news. I think RSL is going to be an overwhelming success. The local media seems to have embraced the team - I wish this would happen in other markets. It appears that if people read about an MLS team and know it's there, they will tune in. Maybe the next round of expansion should put a second team in Salt Lake.

Does anyone know where to find the ratings for the ESPN2 games? I know week one's were posted on here...

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no place to find them as they are not regularly published on the web.

You have to hope that someone like Soccer America mentions it in passing.

Andy

4. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    I know it's only my second post, but wow this is a topic I love to discuss. The way RSL has been treated in its community shows how/why the big sports have succeeded and what the other clubs need from their local community to succeed as well. While Chivas USA is the darling of MLS 2005 Expansion, RSL is going to be the model from here on out. Since their inception it seems they have not dominated news coverage but have had a serious presence in the state of Utah. The buzz is not as much about the novelty of a soccer club in Utah but more about the future of this franchise and where things can go. While I'm at it -- Dave Checketts for early MLS Exec of the Year.

These TV ratings have to make Garber sleep soundly at night. While everything from the Pope to impossible weather have gotten in the way of other games, RSL has plugged along and should hopefully spawn some new ideas and increased support in the league. And hopefully maybe even cause some increases in TV nationwide (unlikely).

5. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome....

6. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    I can't wait for the home opener. Good luck RSL.

8. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im embarassed to ask but where did you get that pics and whose ass is that?

9. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    keep it up RSL! Keep it up avatar :p

10. Brrca Fan redded

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    Check this out:

11. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    That's Keyra Agustina, or whatever her name is. She's some argentinian girl who posted 100 or so photos of her online, and she promptly became famous on the internet. She's been around since about December. If you google "best ass on the internet" or something like that, I'm sure you'll find links with all her photos. Let me tell you though, if you have heart problems I wouldn't do it.

12. BenchRobSmith

BenchRobSmith New Member

I don't know if Ohio's governor has ever participated, but the Crew has had Crew Week every season.

BTW, don't expect any local television ratings from Columbus. AFAIK, ONN doesn't participate in Nielsen ratings.

13. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So many people have asked about her, one would think brrca fan would put this link in his signature

Enjoy! Here are all her pics.

http://tabo.aurealsys.com/pub/keyra/

Andy

14. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Commence fapping sequence.

15. Brrca Fan redded

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    You can get away with , but I can't.

16. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
  17. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is something I think MLS should look at - cities like Salt Lake such as San Antonio, Sacramento, Portland, Memphis, etc. - places that have only the NBA or only the NHL where one sport simply isn't enough. Small enough that they don't have to compete with too many other majors, but not small enough to not matter.

Cities like Birmingham, Orlando, Indianapolis are also worth considering.

BTW, while a little dated, take a gander at: MLS Expansion Resource

18. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I couldn't agree more. I think MLS still needs to place a team in Philly and Houston to have the major markets covered, and after that these smaller or mid-sized markets are better - it seems (early on anyway) that cities will really embrace their teams, and MLS wont just get lost in the sporting shuffle

19. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Place to play?

Legion Field and the Citrus Bowl are behemoths that wouldn't be attractive solutions.

There's nowhere I know of where an Indianapolis team could play. They have the RCA Dome. They're still trying to find all the funding for their new NFL stadium (still years away, and, again, not an attractive solution).

Competition from other local franchises is way, way secondary to getting an actual owner and an actual place to play that makes sense.