TV deals and future of the league

Discussion in 'Napoli' started by SF19, Nov 14, 2023.

1. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
  2. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's right. The deal was a disaster.

3. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    They wanted to create a Serie A channel (I guess like LaLiga TV), but it will take time to get there. They took what they could get.

The smaller clubs are ok, the bigger ones like Napoli are under pressure to raise prices for seats or expand seating. All the clubs need to get new/reno'ed stadia IMO, something that will happen by 2032 Euros.

Serie A is still doing well because of the coaching. Guys like De Zerbi, Italiano, and Inzaghi are revolutionizing the game. Also talents that get overlooked in EPL tend to come to Serie A and excel.

4. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The majority of the clubs have no will to create the Serie A channel. They see it as too risky when in fact this is exactly where media is moving.

5. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I don't know enough to really say. No doubt sport broadcasting will move completely over to the streamers.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also the trend towards a hodgepodge of broadcasters in the same region getting different slices of the pie. NFL's notorious for it, EPL does it, the new NWSL TV arrangement is a pristine example of it (games on seven different channels from three broadcasters plus games on Amazon Prime and a league-operated OTT service with potential local broadcast deals, and it sounds like the league will control production).

Signs that the end of the line is being reached for broadcast rights in my opinion. I don't think that in five years any of the streaming platforms are going to have MORE money to pour into the NFL than they previously did.

SF19 repped this.