TURKEYS! The All-Time %^#% DCU Players Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA

But Heath Shuler was absolutely, positively useless as a quarterback. Albright has eventually turned into an OK player in this league. a few years ago, i saw Heath Shuler in a poster ad for laser tag.

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    As are we all. I thought about Cannon and my thought was sort of like Lanky's. It's a fantasy really, one we've all had; United is shoprt one player and Nowak goes to the stands to pick YOU out to help the team (and naturally you score the game winning goal, etc).

3. Talion

Talion New Member

May 24, 2004
    VA
    Sorry if this is too far off the thread topic, but in thinking about the GR Cannon embarassment I started wondering if Nowak couldn't have stuck himself into the roster that week instead of calling up a PDL player. He could have signed the same one shot sort of contract they must have gotten for Cannon. I know Nowak wouldn't be match fit, but Cannon didn't play the whole game. Nowak's old, out of shape, and would be playing out of position, but he couldn't have been any worse, right? RIGHT?

(boy is it the offseason or what?)

4. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

No one earned my wrath like Chris Albright did. How many times can one player hit the post and/or side netting? For pure frustration, Albright is the winner.

5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia

After a bottle of wine, this post makes me philosophical. The two all time turkeys -- Chris Albright and Bobby Convey. Both carried loads of "promise", both could not put a shot on frame if their lives depended upon it. After both left, DCU got better because it became a better team. Some of the other "turkeys" were far worse, but they were not supposed to be franchise players (Suarez excepted). OK flamers, fire away.

6. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Agreed--Warren played better than Mike "I Don't Wanna
    Give Up My Lucrative New Jersey Side-Projects" Amman, who sucked up four times the salary cap space as Warren. Jeez--Jon Spencer OWNED Mike Amman.

Amman's all-time DC record: 3-14-2.
    The same year Amman played, Mark Simpson went 5-2-0.

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    But Mike still won three games.

When Doug Warren has reached that lofty plateau, he can be removed from the list.

Seems like DC should have gotten Simpson some more playing time that year.

8. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, though. I'm not a CA supporter, but I do find it funny that the Bobby Brigade™ will often praise BC for the same things they would bash Chris for.

For instance, Chris was great at taking the ball down to the corner and getting a cross off. The only problem was his crosses sucked. He was great at getting open in a position to receive the ball and score. The only problem is he couldn't hit the right side of the net to save his life. Chris could dribble through two defenders 60 yards from the goal, but would somehow lose the ball to the keeper off the dribble if he was all alone inside the box.

This level of success and contribution to the team is comperable to how Bobby would be able to do a perfect St. Joe's Hawk rendition everytime he was open when the ball was 50 yards away on the other side of the field. Or how he could work a perfect give and go at 40 yards out, but lose the ball trying to dribble around 2 defenders after receiving the slotted return pass instead of shooting. And speaking of shooting, who can ever forget his wonderful shooting display on opening day?

9. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    the biggest problem with albright was he actually made the players around him worse. he ran around like a chicken with his head cut off and constantly foiled attempts of his teamates to run into dangerous space. i don't know how many promising attacks were foiled by albright running into spaces that destroyed passing triangles. i've never seen a less aware player on the pitch.

he was also a cancer to the nth degree. i remember one match, that even convey was yelling at him on the pitch.

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
  11. UlyssesGWashington

DC United
    Sep 9, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Judah Cooks played for my high school, my college, and my pro team, I have no choice but to stick up for him. The rest of those guys are on their own.