Turf Burn

Discussion in 'Player' started by CityBlues, Dec 22, 2008.

1. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone had a really bad turf burn before? My outdoor winter league just started and I got a killer turf burn yesterday on my outside thigh. How long would you wait before training again? I've read that I should wash it out with warm water and antibacterial soap, then wrap it up, some people say to air it out etc... I didn't get a good wash on it yesterday because it was too raw, when I get home I am going to get in the bathtub and do it that way. Any advice? I've dealt with minor ones before but this is a big one. Thanks.

2. Wasted

Wasted New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Louisville
    Make sure to wash it very well, scrub it to get dirt out. It'll hurt like hell but it'll heal faster. Keep it wrapped up at the start, possibly using some Neosporin but make sure to give it air to help the healing.

If you're going to be sliding you might want to try some compression shorts, it won't stop all slides but I've found that it'll at least help some. Best way to stop this is easy: don't slide.

/Oh and if you play on turf in the summer, don't warm up without shoes on.
    //I had blisters across my entire foot because of that mistake...

3. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I got one last summer when it was around 90 degrees. Almost all my skin came off and to make matters worse the bandage I used stuck to the wound and I had to pull it off.

4. krnsoccer

krnsoccer New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Clean it, wrap it, and start training. Unless it's a broken something, then I think it's manageable. By the way, does anyone know why I can't post a new thread? I just joined. It might be because I didn't post enough reply's. If thats the case, how many do I have to post?

5. Soccer Mastermind

Soccer Mastermind New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Melbourne
    Make sure you treat it so it doesn't get infected. Personally i've had my fair share of grazes and i would apply creams on them so they don't get infected. I'd let them also air so that the graze would scab covering the soft fresh skin underneath. When training or playing a match, I would definitely cover the graze with required bandages. After training or the match, apply cream and let air again.:)

6. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The best thing to do is to get into a warm bath and put salt into it. It will sting like hell but it will certainly be clean!

appleCORR

7. Piciocco

Piciocco New Member

Jul 12, 2007
    turf burn blows lol. but i've never really had a problem with it i get them alot. contstantly sliding but i've always just took a normal shower then day take it easy on the practice and DONT tell people you have it becuase then they aim for you lol

8. agray7

agray7 New Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    sorry its gonna hurt buddy, all you can do is take the necessary precautions so nothing gets affected. i know it hurts like the dickens but decide on whether you can play with the pain w/o hurtin it more. you should be ok tho

9. CanadianBlue

CanadianBlue New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Yeah, I had turn burn twice. Right through my sock and shinguard. Hurt like hell and I have a bit of scarring from it. Make sure it's cleaned and covered during matches.

10. giginterista1

giginterista1 New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    being a goalkeeper and training on artificial turf i have encountered many turf burns...clean it out good and keep it covered with neosporin so it stays moist.i got a staff infection so be careful because turf is soo dirty