Turf Blamed For Wolff Injury: GM Peter Wilt

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by HalaMadrid, Aug 15, 2002.

1. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    FieldTurf Blamed For Wolff Injury: GM Peter Wilt

From MLS Confidential 15 August

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    A public plea to Big Phil?

3. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Beasley time, Jamar Beasley time.

4. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Darrian just showed the injury on the NBC 5 news. First time I've seen it...that's most definitely a turf injury.

Sucks pretty hard for everyone involved.

5. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Ahem, cough, why weren't you at the game, son?

6. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I was. Tough to see that injury from the other end of the field.

7. He was right in the middle of Section 8 and even got greeted with a "Liam Sucks" cheer.

8. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I did? S**t, I just tune that out now I guess.

Yeah, I'm almost always up by the bass drum now near Sylvester and all them, moving around occasionally.

9. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It was probably blending in with the "Quigley is w***er chant"

10. Probably drowned out by it.

11. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I believe Wolff had just expressed concern about the turf during the week prior to his injury. With all of the injuries we've suffered, including 3 ACL tears, what are the chances that the turf at NCC is wearing out our players?

Nowak's injury happened elsewhere, but is it possible playing on this surface is damaging to a soccer player? Much like wear and tear on a car tire, the blowout doesn't necessarily happen when you drive over the nail.

If we're returning next year it's a concern.

12. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    That's always been my concern.

Well, we are, so, it is.

13. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I doubt if the 3/30 ACL injury to Evan Whitfield or the 5/12 ACL injury to Armas (after he had played on the field a grand total of twice) had a whole lot to do with NCC.

14. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Having torn both my ACLs, I don't really think that the artificiality of the turf is really that much of a factor, regardless of what Peter said. Are you that much more likely to plant your leg funny because of the turf? Maybe just a little, but the Armas injury shows how you can do the same thing on grass.

That doesn't change the snakebitten feeling of being a Fire fan circa 2002, though. If we end up on top of the East and/or through to the semis (dunno if playoff performance factors in the voting), Bradley had better get coach of the year.

Later,
    COZ

15. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    both? when was the first one?

16. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    First one (left) was in early 1999, March or April. The right was October 2000, but the surgery wasn't until January of 2001. The funny story with that one was that I had a URT gig right after it happened, so I played the whole show without using my right foot. If you didn't know better, you wouldn't have noticed. Also, knee surgery in the winter SUCKS. It snowed a lot that time around, and I almost wiped out on the ice on my crutches a couple of weeks after the procedure.

And, speaking of URT, I wouldn't want people to think I'm slipping on the music (or the self-promotion) front. You can still download lots of URT MP3s at URT.net, and I'm playing tonight at Double Door with singer Lindsie Reitz. Which means an early flight to Boston tomorrow morning.

Later,
    COZ

17. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Now that I think about it, we've got a very qualified radio team for talking about ACL injuries tomorrow...me with two, Evan with one.

Later,
    COZ

18. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Indeed it does.

My freshman year of high school (1991-1992 school year) I was playing indoor soccer and got taken out, in the process my body fell to my right and my right leg went to my left. The torque caused my right tibia to fracture and my right ACL tore completely off the tibia, where it connects at the distal end. It never tore, only because I wasn't done growing and so my bones were less strong than my muscles, that's why the tibia fractured. So they had to go in and literally staple my ACL back onto my tibia.

Surgery was 8 days later, so I went from 12/21/91-April 1992 all on crutches. It was August/September by the time I was really close to 100% again.

19. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Whore.

20. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlsnet.com/content/02/spot0816bradley.html

Jeff Bradley...

21. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Bears will be going through the same thing this season...

23. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

not really

football doesn't really involve tons of twisting... it's mostly played north to south

in addition the weather is generally a great deal cooler, meaing shoes will not be melted during an october match

besides, it's not like football players are on the pitch 45 minutes at a time

24. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    The Philadelphia Charge plays on the same stuff at Villanova Stadium. Anyone know enough about the WUSA in here to know whether they've dealt with many injuries because of the turf? That should be a relatively apples-to-apples comparison.

25. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Except for the pace and intensity of the play. The level of play in a WUSA match is probably closer to NCAA Div II. Not nearly as fast, not nearly as intense, and not nearly as joint damaging.

Not to mention far less physicality.