News: TRUMP: The Official Trump thread (a.k.a. the classiest thread at BigSoccer, I promise you that)[F]

Discussion in 'Elections' started by ElJefe, Jul 21, 2015.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Not exactly.

The Mexicans believed or claimed to believe that the "Rio Grande" referred to in the treaty ending the Texas Revolution was the Nueces and the present Rio Grande was properly called the Rio Bravo.

The dispute was over the territory between. President Polk wanted New Mexico, Arizona, and what is now California as well, and was only too happy to send troops to the disputed area, when Mexico wouldn't/couldn't sell ( their government had become something of a merry-go-round, changing every few weeks.) In addition to being changed often, the Mexican government even when temporarily stable was pretty changeable as to whether it accepted Texas' independence and subsequent absorption by the US at all.

Mexican forces attacked a smallish detachment of US troops in the disputed territory, and the war was on. Winners write the history books and so the thumbnail version is that the Mexicans "invaded" but the actual movement behind the war was by US troops into a sort of defacto demilitarized zone...

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yes and no, mostly no.

There was a bad guy running Mexico. The US interfered and backed another guy, who overthrew him. He turned out to be just as bad, at least at first. The US backed, among others, Pancho Villa in an effort to overthrow him. The guy realized that this pattern hadn't worked out well for his predecessor, and started cleaning up his act. President Wilson decided that he merited some relief, and stopped supporting Villa.

Villa took exception to this and started attacking US nationals, eventually crossing the border and pillaging Columbus. AFAIK, none of the victims at Columbus were Anglo or had any idea why these guys showed up and started raping, looting, burning, and killing.

So, yes and no...

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Mariano

"The man outside he works for me, his name is Mariano
    He cuts and trims the grass for me he makes the flowers bloom
    He says that he comes from a place not far from Guanajuato
    That’s two days on a bus from here, a lifetime from this room.

I fix his meals and talk to him in my old broken Spanish
    He points at things and tells me names of things I can't recall
    Sometimes I just can't but help but wonder who this man is
    And if when he is gone will he remember me at all

I watch him close he works just like a piston in an engine
    He only stops to take a drink and smoke a cigarette
    When the day is ended, I look outside my window
    There on the horizon, Mariano's silhouette
    He sits upon a stone in a south-easterly direction
    I know my charts I know that he is thinking of his home

I've never been the sort to say I'm in to intuition
    But I swear I see the faces of the ones he calls his own
    Their skin is brown as potter’s clay, their eyes void of expression
    Their hair is black as widow's dreams, their dreams are all but gone
    They're ancient as a vision of a sacrificial virgin
    Innocent as crying from a baby being born

They hover around a dying flame and pray for his protection
    Their prayers are all but answered by his letters in the mail
    He sends them colored figures that he cuts from strips of paper
    And all his weekly wages, saving nothing for himself

It's been a while since I have seen the face of Mariano
    The border guards they came one day and took him far away
    I hope that he is safe down there at home in Guanajuato
    I worry though I read there's revolution every day..."

Robert Earl Keen

4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Best add ever!!!

mbar, roby, song219 and 1 other person repped this.
  5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I mean, they are rationally hired ahead of Americans, and that pisses Americans off.

The New York Times ran a piece on Trump that his opponents should have done, and if not done referenced, but they are too stupid. The Donald has a Miami hotel in that in 5 years, only hired 17 Americans for 300 open jobs. The Donald obliquely said that was because the foreigners were better candidates. Yeah, they were. The secret problem to Bernie's candidacy. And the reason why no matter who we elect, the pattern ain't changing. Foreigners who do a better job, whether here or there, are going to take jobs from Americans who figure being OK is good enough.

6. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    This is probably what they were talking about at the debate. Rubio attacked him on it and Trump said they were 4 or 5 month temporary jobs. He made it sound like there was a lot of competition for experienced workers and they didn't want the short term jobs.

7. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Damn. That's a long way from the border.

8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The old town is right on the border IIUC.

After the raid they moved the more modern parts a mile or so back, I think. It is or was a mining town-- as in dig up not as in tunnel in. Zinc, I think, and maybe garnet? Due to the mines, it had a railroad spur, and due to the railroad and the border it had a tiny cavalry detachment, though I'm not sure if they were there when Villa got there. Some hundreds of people were evacuated in ore cars on a mining freight during or after the raid.

Nowadays I hear its pretty much Last Picture Show with drug smuggling...

Mattbro repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    And then a commentator pointed out how Marquito and Rafael's dads came to the US and worked restaurant jobs and how their sons today would've made their lives difficult.

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Pull up the ladder, Jack, I'm aboard."

bigredfutbol and Boloni86 repped this.
  11. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I was trying and failing to make a lame joke about the town where the Crew plays.

Fascinating stories though!

Ismitje repped this.
  12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could put my hands on it, or at least had the energy this morning to look for it...but there's research out there that there's a segment of the population that gets really, really, really ********ing mad when they call somewhere and are told to press 1 for English, 2 for Espanol, and they get really, really, really ********ing mad when they see signs in Spanish.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A warm welcome from South Philly, to our Mexican friends -

[​IMG]

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is what Trump is selling, and as a story in NPR this morning covered some union members that leadership support democrats are buying.

Bernie protectionism stops at the border, he wants to limit trade to protect American jobs, Donald doubles down on that by bullshiting that he is going to "protect" American jobs from competition from abroad and internally from cheaper labor immigrants.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few years ago, some lady here in PW County, VA became a bit of a folk hero for assaulting a self-checkout machine @ Home Depot for giving Spanish as an option. The touchscreen gave her a "Press here for Spanish" option, and she grabbed a hammer and starting beating on the thing.

16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Isn't there an American People failure thread for stuff like this?

luftmensch, taosjohn and bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #3592 usscouse, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    [​IMG]
    dapipMember+
    Best add ever!!!

Just sayin'......to the guy who pointed out that I'd reposted his comment last week...:D

I guess great minds think alike!

dapip repped this.
  18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the Lowe's up here have English/Spanish signs.

Which is stupid, because they should be in English and French.

taosjohn and roby repped this.
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/lust-for-destruction
    Josh Marshall is smart.

"On the radicalized, revanchist right, provocation and transgression of norms isn't simply indulged. It functions as a positive good. It is a feature, not a bug, to use the tech phrase. What the mainstream electorate might view as an 'outrage' is actually signal of the willingness to tear down a corrupt order that is unwilling (Democrats and elites) or unable (RINOs, mainstream GOP) to turn back the tide of threat. So whether or not you think it's a good idea to kill terrorists families, saying you will is a signal that you won't accept limits. How can Trump break all the rules and pay no price? What's his magic? Changing your positions, obviously lying, taunting enemies - none of these hurt Trump because his core supporters are not seeing them through the same prism you likely are. They're not signs of deception, bad character or untrustworthiness. They all signal a refusal to accept the norms of the threatening order and thus a willingness to overturn it.

To put this more simply, you're being too literal. While the Trump movement is heavily tinged by racial backlash, it's not like all Trump backers would embrace outright white nationalists. But that's not the point. Provocation is a feature, not a bug."

Basically, he's saying two things (one in the part I clipped, the other later.) The first is that Trump's outrageousness is helping him immensely in the primaries, and it inoculates him from normal political attacks and even normal political gravity, so long as he's operating solely within the Republican primary electorate.

The second thing he says is that once Trump leaves that cocoon and starts running in the general election pool of voters, that outrageousness won't necessarily help him, and almost certainly will significantly hurt him.

taosjohn, dapip and gmonn repped this.
  20. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Yep. Which is why it's going to be even more entertaining watching Trump going for the votes of democrats and independents in the general. And the reaction of his base. In the general Trump is going to try to tempt ALL of us to vote for him. I can't wait, and will be extremely disappointed if the Reeps are able to derail him somehow.

22. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    [​IMG]

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    She was hoping for Redneck? :confused:

bigredfutbol repped this.
  24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    :)
    I have mixed feelings over this one.

Boloni86, roby, ElJefe and 1 other person repped this.
  25. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

taosjohn and crazypete13 repped this.