Troy-Albany-Schenectady Soccer Bar?

Discussion in 'NY/NJ Off Topic' started by mbrudzinski, Dec 16, 2007.

1. mbrudzinski

mbrudzinski New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Troy, NY
    I moved to Troy, NY for grad school.

Are there any bars that show soccer games in the area? I have been trying but I can't even find a sports bar with Fox Soccer Channel.

2. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    If you go to the soccer page at www.foxsports.com, you can get a list of FSC subscribing bars. There are two listed in Schenectady - Katie O'Byrnes and Pinhead Susan's.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, but Troy to Schenectady is a pain in the ass trip.

Most bars will probably have it (they just don't know it), but go in to the place prepared. Know what channel FSC is for Direct TV, Dish Network and Time Warner Cable.

If you are looking for the weekend morning games, these places will likely be closed. You can watch them at Afrims in Colonie, an indoor soccer place. Bring your turf shoes and play a game or two.

4. Exit16W

Exit16W New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Reston VA
    The information you seek will not be disclosed until you change your allegiance to RBNY!

LOL!! I am kidding I live in NJ so I have no idea about bars in Troy etc...

5. mbrudzinski

mbrudzinski New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Troy, NY
    I have changed the location in my profile to reflect my move to NY, but it would take a blood transfusion (or maybe a lobotomy) for me to change alliances.

6. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are a DC fan, there is no frontal lobe left anyway. :rolleyes:

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How un-American!

;)

8. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I live in Latham and I'm looking for a decent soccer bar too. Let me know if you find one, especially one for Arsenal supporters.

It's funny that Afrim's was mentioned. I've started in indoor squad at my new job to play in Afrim's coed adult league. Work is sponsoring us so they are taking care of equipment, uniforms, field costs and (hopefully) beer. It should be a good time.

...and speaking of my new job, I may be getting a promotion soon that will permit me to reclaim my RBNY season tickets. W00t! :-D

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Actually, totally forgot about the place on go occasionally after playing:

Firkin and Fox on Wolf Road. Faux English Pub, but they put on soccer matches when asked.

10. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats.

11. Kazz330

Kazz330 New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Potsdam, NY

Where in Latham are you from? I live next to Latham Ridge Elem.

12. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I thought Hammers fans had to stay a certain distance away from school grounds. :p

13. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, he's only an 18-year-old Hammer fan. He still attends that elementary school.

(sorry, Kazz, couldn't resist.)

14. Kazz330

Kazz330 New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Potsdam, NY

har har har. :rolleyes:

15. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Bump.

Best bet for watching the UEFA Cup in downtown Albany this Wednesday?
    :confused:

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Right in downtown Albany? I gather this match is on FSC, correct? If I had to go by the most TV's, I would say Jillians at 59 N. Pearl Street. I have never seen a soccer match on TV there, but that doesn't mean they are not capable of it.

Or I can give you my garage door opener and you can fix my kids a snack when they get home from school.

17. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I'm staying at the Hampton Inn by the Capitol. My son's a U8, too (daughter's 4), so maybe they should get together! ;) I'll try and check out Jillians (assuming it's somewhat kid-friendly), thanks!

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Kids huh, yeah Jillians will be your best bet. 3:00 on a weekday, it should be. The rest of the bars will have legislators and lobbyists liquored up, inventing new ways to screw the tax payers. Sort of Dave and Buster's-like. May want to call ahead and see if they have FSC.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Just had another thought. There is an Irish Pub just across from the Hampton Inn, McGeary's (an Irish pub, go figure). Never watched a soccer match there, but I can't imagine they would be too opposed to it. Just make sure you wear your Rangers shirt and some orange clothing.

20. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I will be wearing cheering for the Light Blues, but know better than to risk the lives of my children! ;)

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    So where did you end up watching the match?

22. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Yes, I did, at McGeary's! Neither of the barmaids had ever heard of Fox Soccer Channel. One was rather pessimistic, in fact, saying if it isn't the fall gridiron season they don't subscribe to sports channels. In a panic at 2:35 I took the remote and found FSC.

Good food. Nice mood. No attitude for cheering Gers.

23. mbrudzinski

mbrudzinski New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Troy, NY
    I am watching Poland v Austria at Firkin & Fox. No one else here. The waitress said one guy came for one other game. What is wrong with this area?

24. GerrardsGirl

GerrardsGirl New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Troy, NY
    Hello All,

Anyone know where to go next Saturday to catch the games? Even if I have to wait and avoid the internet to see the repeat at 8p...oh, right, Liverpool fan, I am, game is on at 9:30a live.

Thanks!

25. Julie kelly

Julie kelly New Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hi,

I know an awesome bar which shows the FIFA soccer games. Check out their website, you will find more information on that: http://www.esquireny.com/