Trivia question No.4,232

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Gloucestershire Lad, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Gloucestershire Lad

Gloucestershire Lad New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Having just frozen my cobblers off watching a truly horrendous MLS Eastern Conference play-off second-leg match between Columbus Crew and New England Revolution, can someone inform me the last time a team missed TWO penalties in the same game ?

The Crew managed to fluff two penalties, although it was to be expected in such a sorry pair of performances by both teams. As an advertisement for The Beautiful Game, it was embarrassing.

So, who can recall TWO missed penalties during regulation time, by the same team in the same game ?

Answers on a postcard.... :eek:

I've just realised I've posted this on the wrong board (well, it is late !). Apologies to all !

2. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Gloucestershire Lad

Gloucestershire Lad New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
  4. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holland also missed two pks in regular time in the semis of Euro 2004 against Italy. Frank De Boer missed the first and Patrick Kluivert missed the second. After 120 minutes of scoreless action Holland then missed 3 or 4 more pks in the penalty shootout.

5. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Thus, a missed penalty was called "un Palermo" for a while.

Joke: A man sentenced to death was tied to the pole and blindfolded. The commanding officer of the firing squad read to him the sentence and asked if he had a final wish. Being cheeky to his final breath, the man asked, "can you have Martin Palermo shoot me?"

6. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must have been Euro 2000.

7. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I knew what you were talking about...

The Netherlands were eliminated from a major tournament for the fourth time in eight years on penalties as Italy advanced to a UEFA EURO 2000™ final against France. Frank de Boer and Patrick Kluivert had already missed spot kicks in normal time as the Dutch failed to break down an Italian team that had been reduced to ten men after the dismissal of Gianluca Zambrotta after 34 minutes.

Italy scored the first three spot-kicks in the shoot-out through Luigi Di Biagio, Gianluca Pessotto and Francesco Totti, while De Boer and Jaap Stam both missed for Holland. Kluivert scored and Paolo Maldini missed to restore Dutch hopes, but man of the match Francesco Toldo then saved Paul Bosvelt's kick to confirm Italy as 3-1 winners on penalties.

8. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I think the question was missed PKs during regulation time...

It's happened twice before in MLS, but both those were regular-season games. Just don't know who (I read somewhere that Reis' feat was the third time in MLS history that a keeper stopped two regulation PKs in one game).

10. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    invited teams suck. there shouldn't be any invitees to the gold cup. all we need is for some conmebol or asian team to win our regional championship

12. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
  13. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    During normal play I think the Matrin Palermo game holds the record. In terms of penalty shoot outs the 1986 European Cup final must be near the top of the list - Steau Bucharest beat Barcelona 2-0 on penalties, meaning Barca missed 4 out of 4 spot kicks.