Pre-match: Trinidad & Tobago vs. USA - Second Leg - Nov 20, 2023

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Nov 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    What matters to me more is how they play. I hope to see fewer elementary mistakes than in the first game.

russ, onefineesq and gogorath repped this.
  2. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    We now have this predictable pattern where “everyone” expects the US team to blow out nearly everyone we play and to do it with style while only certain players are allowed to shine.

That set of unrealistic expectations is inevitably left unmet and then those who are disappointed that they didn’t understand what was happening in the first place begin having prolonged temper tantrums. Our fanbase is collectively 3 years old.

But I am certain you are correct. Their team played very well against us in Austin. They are motivated and this game likely will be really difficult unless we score early. If they score early its going to be a slog.

3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He did so in the last game, I think, but when Gladbach plays a back 3, he's generally sat or played RWB.

Most of his minutes are at RB in a back 4.

4. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Tilman-Dest kinda sucked on the right last game so I'm trying it on the left :) Looks pretty good at PSV over there.

gogorath repped this.
  5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    If you see a draw coming, definitely bet it, the US was -900 with William Hill last night before people bet T&T down to -850. You can simply put money on T&T and get gifted a 2.5 goal buffer for your bet. Pretty wild. I took it last night. Being the nut job I am, I'll hedge T&T +2.5, and O/U -3.5, by betting USA ML, if the game is scoreless through 15-25 mins. Already tied USA ML in a couple of parlays, so if I'm wrong on the game being kind of gross, well, I have a parlay pay out in place that should be an effective hedge.

But seriously folks, it is weird to see T&T +2.5 considering the history of draws and tight games in general over there. Otoh, it isn't difficult to see that T&T tries to play to win and an avalanche comes, with us winning 3-0 to 6-0 again.

I don't really see this being 0-0 or 1-1, mostly because T&T has nothing to lose. If they go for it and lose, they're in the same position they'd be if they'd play defensively and lose, so why not play to try and get an early goal and go from there. It will be interesting to see how both sides approach it. At this point we're missing more than 33% of our typical First XI, so they do have an advantage that isn't normally in play.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  6. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never know whats coaches speech and what isn't, but Gregg seemed to imply he's playing the best XI for this one in the press conference

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think that Trinbago has the Berhalter obsession that US fans have? Not a chance they are trying to prove anything about the guy.

Magikfute and USOutlaw16 repped this.
  8. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nietzsche Is Dead..... Managing Expectations for the Untermensch National Team since Zarathustra Spake.

Fussballer and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's an interesting question, isn't it.........

1) play a Berhalter defensive setup and gtee they don't score and we go through for sure but end up practicing how "not to lose" instead of winning or

2) play to win knowing we have a 3 goal cushion and 1 more goal likely gtees it out of reach for Trinidad and using the real game to get real performances from our players with the objective of winning a match?

I'd take 2, for sure, with the proviso that players' club situations/physical condition should be taken into account.

We have Copa coming up and the "B" team is really a collection of "A" team replacements who, in the normal course of life, will be needed when summer comes around - at least some of them will be needed. Time to get (some of) them checked out.

10. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Their manager said they still have something to play for, pride, they are going for a result and that means being more open at home.

11. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is a tournament qualifier, I think. It's not a friendly or practice exercise. We should and hopefully will be treating it as such. If we don't score a goal and hold the other guys to less than three, we win. don't get me wrong, I love seeing our guys ball out and win by bags of goals. This is a 2 leg qualifier. We accomplished step one. Let's continue with the task at hand. They have to play us, so a modicum of defense is required. Scoring wraps it up, potentially. I would be fielding a defensive leaning side to eradicate any threat of scoring. I would be starting Pepi for hold up work the fastest winger we have on hand to get the return from him. Good Luck, Men!!

russ and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we may not see T&T come out guns a blazing like some think. Yes they aren't going to advance tonight playing the way they did on Thursday. But perhaps their coach takes a more long term view. He may figure that their best chance to qualify for COPA 2024 lies not tonight as the lead is just too much to overcome. So he puts out a lineup and plays the way he thinks is their best shot at advancing in the March window. He uses this game as a tough practice match for then. Knowing full well he likely loses a close one but it makes his team better prepared for March. If he goes out firing on all cylinders what are their realistic chances to beat the US 3-0 and then win on penalties? Slim and none and slim already left the station. Yes ok they play the game on the field blah blah blah. But from a pragmatic standpoint wouldn't they be better off having tonight be 0-0 or maybe they score a counter and actually win 1-0. Give them something to build on for March. Going all out to attack likely means they lose by multiple goals at home. And maybe even get blown out.

russ, Elninho, Entropius and 4 others repped this.
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I agree there’s a twofold objective (for both teams, really).

For T&T, steal an early goal if you can (to apply pressure), but if/when you concede, maintain discipline and a positive attitude, building towards March (and weaker opposition).

Our objectives are somewhat the opposite, grind out a result (first and foremost), get some of the core guys more playing time together, and mix in some new faces (if possible), building towards CNL (March) and COPA (against stronger opposition).

TrueCrew repped this.
  14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Lineup is out.

Mostly unchanged, but Aaronson and Pepi replace Tillman and Paredes (which maybe means we'll be trying out a 2 striker formation from the start), and de la Torre replaces the injured McKennie.

15. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Tillman and Paredes deserve that after last match. Interesting to see Pepi and Balo together.

dams, EruditeHobo and Winoman repped this.
  16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely like Pepi & Balo together. And getting LDLT a start with that midfield.

Good lineup.

russ and DCU1984 repped this.
  17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I was told that in the presser Gregg said now was not the time for experiments.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    442 on the road is a classic setup.

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Tonight's lineup is an absolute win for every other striker in the player pool, healthy and injured.

The possibility of Berhalter calling in more than 2 strikers in a 23 man squad now exists.

TrueCrew and Bluecat82 repped this.
  20. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    I like it

21. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the number of shots TNT generated in the first match, we'd probably be safe putting me in goal, despite the fact that;

A) I'm somewhat to the north of 60 years old.
    B) I've got another couple of months with my left ankle in a boot.

On second thought, maybe not me.

gogorath, RossD, Elninho and 2 others repped this.
  22. Master O

Master O BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You or FanofFutbol. :D

RossD and Bluecat82 repped this.
  23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Attacking shape we should use if T&T drop deep into the same shape as last time:

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That makes two of us!

Edit: Actually, just one.

25. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have swapped any other center back for Ream in this one. Older player, on short rest, traveling to heat and humidity for which he is not acclimated. I understand we expect this to be a cakewalk for our center backs but why do this when you have younger fresher legs that can easily get the job done?

TimB4Last repped this.