Post-match: Trinidad & Tobago vs. USA - November 20, 2023

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Nov 20, 2023.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The US lose to Trinidad & Tobago by a 2-1 scoreline.

The US qualify for the Copa Americas and Nations League Finals even with the loss. Despite a series of strange events, the US have arguably completed the team's best post World Cup year since 2007.

superdave repped this.
  2. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Yay?

more underachieving. Depressing.

3. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Things I liked:
    The drums
    Pepi and Balo together
    Jedi

Things I didn't like:
    The drums
    Brendan taking shots all night long, usually involving balls of some sort or another
    I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Bajoro, sakibomb523, RossD and 3 others repped this.
  4. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Really? Damn, we must of had some pretty shit post World Cup years then.

5. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really qualified to Copa America..

An achievement for sure…

6. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Jedi was his usual studly self.

Tillman was very good in his 30 minute shift.

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Chesco United repped this.
  9. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017

but also

superdave, wsmaugham, Bajoro and 16 others repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were no stand out players. Jedi was as close as it came. But there were a ton of very bad performances. I am not sure how many other people are as concerned as I am but Balogun has had two atrocious games in a row. His hold up play is very subpar... and his first touch is lacking. Aaronson proved yet again that he only plays well when the other team is gassed and he comes in as a late sub. Too many poor performances to count. SO many inexplicable passes backwards to T&T to start their breaks. It was laughable. But the Red Card changed everything. So while the vast majoirty of the players would get a score of 5 or less from me I would give Dest a.... zero-point-zero. Completely unacceptable. I hope the entire team pulls him aside and rips him a new one. Just brutal.

One last note, IMO, we are in need of an elite GK and Turner is not that guy. That second goal was easily savable for a Pro.

11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #11 schrutebuck, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    It's true.

2019 was a mediocre start for Berhalter and only saved at the end in Nations League. 2015 was Klinsmann's magnum opus of an abomination. 2011 was also mediocre with Bradley getting fired after the Gold Cup and a sluggish recovery afterward.

dark knight repped this.
  12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Congratulations to Matt Turner. He just solidified his place on the NF bench.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unprofessional all the way around. Sure, Dest’s meltdown was the cherry on top for the whole night, but the whole team, except for Jedi, just terrible.

Berhalter did NOT have this team ready tonight and we got out played and beaten by the 99th place team in the world and a team that’s fielded by a bunch of USL1 players.

Nothing positive to say. This team should be disappointed in themselves.

Namdynamo, USA-Zebuel, entropy and 5 others repped this.
  14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have some real problems. This team does not play cohesively enough (which must fall in good part on the coaches). But we also have a bunch of guys who play like they are too good for this level, and thus end up playing far below the level of expectations. That is borne out by the attitudes we continually see from guys who come into this team, from fringe players like Matt Miazga to "stars" like Reyna and Dest. I am beginning to think that an uncomfortably high percentage of the team (if only 25%) do not respect US soccer. And I am not talking about the Federation (USSF). I am talking about the institution/concept of soccer in the United States.

superdave, Bajoro, CU soccer and 4 others repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the chances Dest knew that and thought he might as well go out in a blaze of glory?

ebbro and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001

superdave, RalleeMonkey, Bajoro and 11 others repped this.
  17. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Tillman was pretty good. But yeah, it was weak sauce. Dest botched everything with the dumb --- red but General Egg needs to be able to actually lead men and get them fighting at halftime. Instead they came out dour, miserable and quickly gave up another goal and actually put Copa America under the teensy eensiest of a threat.

Pathetic by Dest, pathetic by General Egg, and super alarming for this cycle. I have zero faith that Egg will put this team in position to win. Hopefully they can win inspite of having him in command, but I'm highly skeptical. I'm as miserable as I was watching the US women's team stick with the idiot after the olympics in '21 when it was patently obvious he couldn't hack it. Well, we're rushing head long down the same idiot road but at least the women were smart enough to kick him to the curb after a disappointing Cup. Not so the men.

I co-sign a March 2 game pink slip for Dest unless he mea culpa's. I am not remotely in favor of any kind of extended ban. He had zero reds from what I can recall '20-'March '23, so as long as that trend line returns, we don't need to extend the punishment beyond the march window and I'd only do that if he was a ---- in the locker room.

goussoccer and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to start valuing players who've delivered for us in the past. Otherwise you can expect results like we got this camp & you aren't in position to complain about it.

majspike repped this.
  19. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    If they really didn't care they wouldn't show up, a la Tim Chandler (don't @ME @HHF). But I do think, especially knowing that a 4-1 loss still "gets the job done", they aren't necessarily going 100%. The field conditions don't help in that regard at all.

But this is CONCACAF and we've been doing this for 40 years. You'd think we'd figure it out a little bit by now.

imasyko repped this.
  20. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Personally, I would have given Tab the team over Egg in '18, and that's even though I felt his lineup decisions cost us the QF's in the '19 U20's. Tab coached a lot of these kids and tended to maximize their potential in the shirt other than that one game. Berhalter has done nothing of the kind except in a Nations League and Gold Cup tourney in '21. Its not that I think Tab is some genius, but I actively think Egg is a governor on the "gas" pedal of this car and it's been obvious since day 1.

Bajoro and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I am so psyched for the second Berhalter administration.

Struggling to beat the 10-man version of the world's 99th-ranked team, then losing to that team. Hell yeah, Gregg's back.

RalleeMonkey, Bajoro, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  22. lilc

lilc Member

Jun 9, 2009
    As stupid as dest was for those saying he was our worst player….do you realize he was the one who dropped a cross perfectly for a Jedi header? Those saying he should be banished never played top level sports. This isn’t rec. this happens in pro sports. MLB players go off on refs, Giannis gets a technical, sits on a court side chair and claps at the ref, then gets thrown out. These guys are millionaires and you’re saying you’d make him sit on the bus at halftime? Like wtf. This isn’t some shitty high school team. Dest will, or should, apologize and the team should move on.
    Berhalter not pulling a striker after that is completely indefensible as well.

Bajoro, Namdynamo, Yowza and 5 others repped this.
  23. honest trade

honest trade Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 honest trade, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    We were woefully unprepared to play with 10. Why take off Gio when he is your best possession player and free kick taker, and you have 2 strikers and Aaronson stinking it up? A decent team would have put in 4 or 5 on us. One of the most pathetic nights of US soccer in recent memory.

Namdynamo, Yowza, Zinkoff and 4 others repped this.
  24. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    He should look every player in the eyes and give a heartfelt apology. What he's actually going to do is post a highlight video of himself to Instagram.

25. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    He probably did. Maybe he even was conscious and said F it, I'm taking a ridiculous meaningless Yellow here. I'm fine with that. Childish, but whatever. Blow the kiss to ref was walking the line, but then be done with it. Can't be that stupid/selfish/or whatever adjective you want to use after that.

Curious to know what Turner was saying to Dest. Maybe it was, "Don't Worry, I'll take some heat off you" :speechless:

superdave repped this.