TriColor U-17 U-23

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Various Styles, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Thecoach101

Thecoach101 Member

None
    Mexico
    Mar 27, 2021
    I don't think we should overreact over one result. Mexico totally dominated the game, if Lozano makes the penalty kick, we would be moving on and there would be people saying how Mexico overcame a first half deficit. There is definitely some good talent on this team, with potential to make the senior squad down the road, but even the top players need further development. Some of these guys like Alcantara, Leone, Perez, Mariscal, Lozano Jurado etc... need to play minutes with the their first division clubs. You cannot properly develop players by keeping them in the same U20 division. So the above discussion is very interesting, yes their is a big difference between Mexico's U20 and Liga MX, but that is the same in the US, England or wherever they have a u20 division. I would say 6 to 7 Liga MX teams work well with their youth teams, but what the great majority lack is incorporating the talented 18 to 20 year old players to the first team. Obviously Pachuca does it, Santos has done it, Chivas use to do that well, now not so much, same as Pumas. Atlas was great at that, now they don't do it often. America has produced a couple of interesting players, I've seen Tigres and Monterrey teams do very well in international youth tournaments, but rarely do those players t get a chance on their first team. So I think both of you guys are right, Mexico works well enough, can be much better, with youth teams, but the gap in competition level from Liga MX to Liga Expansion is just too great at this time.

JJV1994 repped this.
  2. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Jesus Christ. This whole thing started with you telling us that the MLS kids are on the team because "it's better than our U20 league", despite the fact that this was never a problem with our multiple youth WC titles. FYI - the yank kids rarely even play in the first division so you either didn’t do your homework or you’re simply confused (the irony of remedial thinking lmao). Then you proceed to dig a bigger hole for yourself with the Liga MX "rigor" and Blackpool comments. Wut.

Like I said, sometimes it’s best to admit you were wrong and move on. Not gonna hold it against you.

AMLO2018 repped this.
  3. Thecoach101

Thecoach101 Member

None
    Mexico
    Mar 27, 2021
    I don't know if Luis Perez is a good coach, but we need more young Mexican coaches. It seemed this team played a bit too selfish at times, there were passes to be made, runs in too space that never happened, questionable corner kick setups. In the goal Alcantar lost his mark in the box on Guatemala's only talented player. All these things are very correctable, most of it is coaching. I don't know how much time Luis Perez was able to work with this group, but his coaching should me scrutinized a bit, but I feel he is a bright young coach who should not be discarded... just like the players learn with experience, so do the coaches or managers.

4. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Someone brought up the MLS, I don't even know who, and I thought it was a good additional point to bring up that our secondary leagues are too far behind Liga MX. It wasn't even a direct reference to the kids in the squad that are in MLS.

Edit - oh I see, you're the one who made the MLS comments. Now it makes sense. Ok you're just very insecure.

Paco' repped this.
  5. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Right, you most definitely weren’t alluding to the MLS kids. It’s scary how all over the place you are.

6. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The FMF like the good whore that it is just allows anything that helps the gringos.

Romario'sgurl and AMLO2018 repped this.
  7. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    I'm not even convinced that CONCACAF and the USSF aren't fundamentally the same thing. We know that the people that handle the social media accounts for both are the same people.

8. Thecoach101

Thecoach101 Member

None
    Mexico
    Mar 27, 2021
    If anything this was to benefit both US and Mexico to qualify more often. Lets not forget Mexico is Concacaf's major cash cow. I guess the didn't Mexico would lose to an inferior yet scrappy team.

9. Thecoach101

Thecoach101 Member

None
    Mexico
    Mar 27, 2021
    I would bet you anything Luis Perez had them practice penalty kicks every practice leading up to this game, but it is totally different making a penalty with pressure. The missed penalry in regular time made them even more nervous. Even Guatemala's makes were not shot well. That's why if you are the superior team, you don't want penalty kicks.

10. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't really gaf about results..I care about talent and this Gen has that...If Marcelo was there we win...So that's a plus..
    Now all we need is for Marcelo, Leone, Alcantara, Perez, Mariscal, Lozano, Jurado etc...To get minutes and flourish at club level...

This is a good Gen..Let's not attack a kid and ruin his mind for missing a penalty..He has quality and a physical presence our strikers usually lack...

ShockMaster repped this.
  11. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Same as when the Nads got rekd and we did something with the likes of Pablo Lopez...Do you remember? Well it turns out those accolades meant shit and Puli was better than those wins..

Soo it's the same here..Marcelo and this Gen are not going to be defined by some Guatemala team that bunkered for dear life all game long..

People need to relax and look at the bigger picture..

12. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    You’re right in that it’s too early to attack and sink these kids, but let’s not forget that ultimately careers are defined by results. This is a massively disappointing and staining result in that it is coupled with missing out on the 2024 Olympics. It leaves a huge Scarlett Letter on these boys. Oh the irony that it happened on the same day the FMF President said Mexico is an important developer of players! Now this generation misses out on 2 important youth tournaments. They can still make the most of things with good careers for club and country, but let’s not lie and pretend that this is not the last we’ll hear about many of these players.

AMLO2018 and JJV1994 repped this.
  13. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's how it is with majority of these players..this will be their peak..But we can see some of these guys having the talent and physical tools to succeed..

And that is more important than beating a bunkerd Guatemala lol...Bet 1 billion our Gen is going to be better than there's soo this just proves how in the grand scheme how little these tournaments mean..

14. Thecoach101

Thecoach101 Member

None
    Mexico
    Mar 27, 2021
    I think this is why fans and media have to be more responsible. A lot of these players are not even 19 years old, and they totally dominated the game. Yes it is extremely disappointing not to qualify for the U2O world cup, but even in the last Olympics with a third place team, only one player left to Europe. So this young players should not be judged by one bad result, I really like the talent on this team and it is important to push them to get minutes on their first team. It would not shock me to see Leone move on to the first team on LAFC, love Jonathan Perez daring dribbling ability and great left foot but needs to know when to pass, Alcantar has everything to be a big time defender, hopefully he completes his move to Portugal. Ambriz is already a regular starter for Leon, Mariscal is a tall, good athlete mid. Someone mention Beltran previously, who has great ability and already is getting minutes with Necaxa. America is looking a third rate Argentine striker in Solari, who has scored a grand total of 7 goals in like two years in Chile, I would bet this Lozano kid would easily develop into a competent goal scorer if given the oportunity.

JJV1994 repped this.
  15. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would agree IF there was a clear pathway to develop these young guys abroad, sadly there isn’t and most will sit on a bench playing non competitive games until 24

deejay and Athazagoraphobia repped this.
  16. JJV1994

JJV1994 Member+

Jun 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Will see...These guys aren't like Pablo...They have size and athleticism...I'd rather have them than a Gen of slow midgets winning irrelevant tournaments...

Thecoach101 repped this.
  17. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    What a disaster. Lucho Perez sucks balls. We need DT’s with, brains, tactics and character. That dude was a mental midget as a player. No balls and no skill, what did we expect from him as a coach?

Compadrismo is very well alive and flourishing.

Hecho en Chivas repped this.
  18. megadeath

megadeath Member+

Oct 10, 2009
    But hey keep watching liga X garbage.

wolfpupz and AMLO2018 repped this.
  19. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund