Traveling to UK-Which best soccer town?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Footie4ever, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    I'm traveling to UK next season...would like to see some matches. Which cities/towns are the best for seeing (EPL) football matches? (If multi-team locale like London...which team/fan base?)

I like Fulham and Tottenham...still drawn to Arsenal for some reason....maybe Reading...

Also, why does everyone seem to dislike Charlton so much? :rolleyes:

Thanks..EPL fan...from Texas

2. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Go to London and see Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea.

3. onearmedbandit

onearmedbandit New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Portsmouth, UK
    Well if you want to go to the nosiest, most passionate and one of the worst stadiums in the country, go watch a Portsmouth match. :) It's definitely something different... like a lower-league stadium but in the premiership (for now).

4. EHB1

EHB1 New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd say stay in London, you have great choice of who to watch & when. Portsmouth, Newcastle and Liverpool would be good also.

5. WoNkY

WoNkY New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd say Portsmouth. They have great support. If London then avoid Arsenal, Chelsea etc as they're home games are usually sold out.

6. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    pretty much everyone's games are sold out in the premiership.

7. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ????? Blackburn, Bolton and Sunderland are 3 that come to mind immediately that don't sell out.

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Glasgow. Hate the teams, but the atmosphere can be amazing.

9. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    What about Charlton of Fulham. Imagine they aren't sold out. I think Bolton has pretty low attendance relative to the rest....

10. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And you'd be wrong there. We tend to be around 95% full. Most of the empty seats are in the away end.

11. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    No offense intended...I like Bolton and was watching the match this weekend...the announcers were remarking about the attendance. Sorry!:(

12. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cup games have very poor attendences.

13. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And if you want my advice Manchester is cheaper than London and puts you within spitting distance of Liverpool, Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn, Preston, Leeds and Sheffield.

14. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey here's some advice from a fellow Texan,

Go to Birmingham and see Birmingham City, Aston Villa, and then West Brom Albion. Then if you want to see a big club you are only bout 50 or so miles from Liverpool and Manchester United.

I dunno how to get tickets because all the games I went to my mate had a season ticket. So I don't know if these teams will be sold out. Surely on Cup game days you can get a cheap ticket easily.

When I saw Aston Villa vs. QPR it was only 8 quid.

15. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Thanks! That helps a lot...

16. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about either. I beleive they are both smaller parks in a major metropolitan area. That could mean they sell out easier.

17. H-Bee

H-Bee New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Fulham - as you'll more a less be guaranteed a ticket and they have a neutral area behind the goal.

Watford - if they make it through the playoffs - a really friendly club.

Charlton - depending on who they are playing - you should get a ticket.

Reading - probably worth signing up a as a member as you'll stand a great chance of getting tickets for most games.

If your going up North. One of the best grounds I've been too is Bolton. Everton is rarely sold out and makes for a good day out. Middlesbro - you'll double their attendance if you go there!

18. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you should see the prices for next season!

For non-members the top games are £39 or £41! Even low category games are £32-£34 for non-members. Member prices are £4 cheaper.

Every game bar one has sold out since Christmas, so I would have expected the same to be true next season. At these new prices, however, that may not be the case.