Traveling to Colombia

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by Froboy69, Dec 15, 2015.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wait till you try and use Uber in Colombia.

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Really? I mean I haven't had any issues, but most of my relatives recommend to use the higher level (Black?) as it seems more reliable, I think because the cars are legally allowed to pick up passengers and are actually registered, vs the regular level that is some how illegal and less controlled (arrrgh).

The only problem I've had, was that I had to overpay (like col$5,000) because Cartagena was jam locked due to Santos arriving to the city, so the driver agreed to drive us from the old city to north of the airport but asked for more money. Yeah, it felt ridiculous to argue over less than us$2, so we paid it.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They do that in the US it’s called surge pricing.

4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah, but it was not the price given by the app, it was additional to whatever the app was estimating.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Uber has repeatedly drawn the ire of authorities in Colombia, where use of the service is widespread but illegal.

The country has not specifically regulated transport services like Uber, but has said it will suspend for 25 years the licenses of drivers caught working for the platform.

6. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My dad is a driver so we are always doing a bunch of stuff.

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And if you get the cab drivers on a bad day, you could be attacked along with your uber driver. But other than that (using an illegal service), it really does not affect much your experience as a user. Furthermore, as I mentioned, and as it was my experience in the few times I rode uber over there, there were no issues, yet I sometimes chose to pay a little more for uber black, and most (or maybe all) were the white tourism taxis.

I'd say that the uber experience is way more pleasant than riding a cab, and having small children, being rather tall (and overweight) for "zapaticos", plus the horrible service usually offered by cabs, make uber very appealing while in Colombia.

8. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    my uber driver told me to give him a hug at the airport when he dropped me off so that the cabbies and cops didn't beat him up.

kromekote, ryu79, pepinointer and 3 others repped this.
  9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Might rent a car because need a car seat

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If you stay at a hotel they might have a driver of staff. The hotel in Bogota I stayed at had one that way I could just leave the car seat in his car.

11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If you are born in Colombia but a US citizen with a US passport. Do you need a Colombian passport? My parents told me if I don’t get a Colombian passport that they won’t let me
    Leave if I visit Colombia. That can’t possibly be true.

12. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I do recall many years ago (like early 2000s) where my stepdad had both his american and colombian passport; I don't recall what was the result but I think at the time he believed that "just in case" it would help.

But by today's standards I don't think that you need more than just your US passport especially if you're a citizen in the US.

13. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yea my parents made me get a passport as it was in CT yesterday. Makes 0 sense. If they Let US citizens into a country then go nope!! You can’t leave because you don’t have a Colombian passport.

it did happen to my dad and me in the 90s and once in the 2000s. I went recently and wasn’t a problem but I hear sometimes they don’t let you leave.

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If you have dual citizenship, you have to enter and leave Colombia as a Colombian.
    They’ll give you crap if you don’t have it and you’ll be forced to spend a day obtaining one.

And don’t ever make your children Colombian citizens; they’ll make your life hell if they’re not traveling with both parents.

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They can fine you and make you get a Colombian passport or you can renounce your Colombian citizenship.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So I had to get my cedula this weekend? Then they were like o you still need to go to NY in 3-6 months to get the real one. Then I paid $110 for a passport. Which I can’t get for 6-9 months

did I not need to do that? Last time I went to colombia they almost didn’t let me leave. So if I just say I am not Colombian any more. They would be like cool you can leave? Or that takes a while? I have 3 weeks of vacation. Going to Colombia for like 2 weeks. Don’t want to spend the 3rd week trying to leave the country

I told my parents it makes no sense to get a Colombian passport. I think I also have a fking Israeli one.... it’s like guys I am 29. My World Cup career is over. I think I am fine with just US citizenship.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If you don't want to be asked for Colombian documents, you will have to officially renounce to your Colombian citizenship (which I think is also a pain in the neck) and still, they'll give you hell every time you go through immigration.

https://www.cancilleria.gov.co/tramites_servicios/nacionalidad/renuncia

I don't think you need a cedula as long as you have your passport. They may let you in with an expired document, but then you will have to waste a day getting a new one over there. It will be cheaper though, like US$50, and you'll get it the same day.

https://www.cancilleria.gov.co/tramites_servicios/pasaportes/costos

18. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Don’t quote me but I think you can renounce it at the airport when you go through immigration. I saw some lady do it once

19. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You were born in Colombia right? Cuse if you weren’t then you don’t need the Colombian passaport.

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's more up to what his parents did. If he wasn't born in Colombia, his parents could still have made the choice for him. A couple of my friends did that for their American-born kids and both of them regret the choice. All the kids ended up renouncing to their colombian citizenship.

21. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was born in Colombia

the customs
    Lady this weekend was like why are you doing this at 29

I was like if I go to colombia will you let me leave if I don’t.

She also asked me where I would want to go to vote haha!! It’s like I don’t even want to vote in the us. I am not driving 2 hours to vote in a Colombian election !

22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ya but if you are not born in Colombia ur US passaport doesn’t say born in Colombia.

23. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I have both passports. Whats funny is I went to Canada and immigration barely did anything once they saw the american passports, not even a stamp or anything.

24. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Hey fellas, it's time for my family to make a trip to Colombia. We're going during my kid's spring break and totally on vacation mode, not visiting family in Cali/Palmira.

Couple notes :
    + Haven't been to Colombia since 2002 for our honeymoon, before kids.
    + Wife is Canadian, raised in states
    + 3 Kids + wife don't speak spanish
    + I speak spanish albeit with a bit of a gringo accent
    + Kids have never been to Colombia (ages 12, 14, 16)

We are looking to start our vacation in Medellin - staying 3-4 days and then 3-4 days in Cartagena.

+ As it turns out Atl Nacional vs America plays on Sunday 10th@3pm. I would love to take the family and experience it.
    + Can you guys recommend the best way to secure tickets in advance?
    + What's the safest/best sections in the stadium?
    + What should we expect to pay per seat?
    + Any other recs for making the most out of a match? (probably not wise to wear my America de Cali shirt?)
    + what's the climate like in April?

+Places while in Medellin or surrounding areas that are a 'must see/visit'.
    +you guys still recommending Uber as the best way to move around? (figuring family of 5 will constantly be tight in most cars)
    +Best places/areas to stay ?
    +Any other recs?

We haven't booked our in country flight from Medellin to Cartagena but I assume this is easy to do when I'm there? Or are these connections best to do in advance from the states?

Once in Cartagena, any places you recommend as a 'must see/visit' with kids? Anything specific to avoid?

25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Tons of questions and not a lot of answers. I’m going to Medellin too for spring break, but not familiar with the city. I know El Peñol is very famous and I think there might be a couple of small towns worth visiting.

Right now air ticket prices seem to be very low in Colombia, and I have used Avianca from here without any issues. I think Bogota-Medellin is less than US$50 round trip.

In the city I would try to hire someone that is recommended as your driver, at least the days that you have a more defined schedule. I’ll ask my brother if he knows anyone.

In Cartagena, definitely go to Castillo San Felipe and visit Ciudad Amurallada. If you have a full day, ride a boat to Baru or Islas del Rosario