Travel/Tickets: USA versus Mexico in Mexico City 3/26/2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by GOREVS3000, Nov 14, 2012.

1. tranmerekev

tranmerekev New Member

May 24, 2010
    Club:
    Tranmere Rovers FC
    Real Corona, that's the plan.
    We've been to some dodgy places for football, Rome derby, Middle East to name just two, so we are aware of the rivalry between Mexico & USA.

2. Cmdr_Sphrd

Cmdr_Sphrd New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I bought tickets 5 tickets for the game from Houston.

However, I needed to call customer service and have the sales rep walk me through the process. As others have said (as of yesterday), it is not possible to purchase tickets with a credit card from outside of Mexico. But it's possible to do it over the phone (I'm a Spanish speaker so that certainly made it easier, not sure if the reps speak English)

3. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really getting into planning everything outside of Azteca now. For those who have been to DF - any must see attractions, bars, restaurants. etc? Pyramids are a no brainer. We're staying in Centro so we'll be hitting everything around there. What else?

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then I'm sure you'll be fine as there are much worse things that happen at those places.

5. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's actually quite a few good museums in Mexico City if you are into that. I went to the Anthropological Museum in 2009:

http://www.mna.inah.gob.mx/

If it's a nice day, definitely check out Chapultepec Park.

6. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teotihuacan is quite a ways outside of the city. What's everyone's plan for getting there? It'd be cool if a bunch of us split a bus

7. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metro + bus. Cheap and easy.

oh definitely. Just a lot of options to choose from. Chapultepec Park is on our list right now.

8. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. tayto

tayto New Member

May 27, 2008
    Has there been any further clarity on how to buy tickets from the Tickemaster.com.mx or other option? I don't want to get to the point of paying for flights before making sure I have tickets in hand. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

10. Hurley57

Hurley57 New Member

Jun 9, 2012
    I got my tickets last night over the phone from the mexican ticketmaster, They have no English speaking operators so if you don't speak Spanish well (like myself) it can be a bit of a struggle. Thankfully the most patient woman in all of Mexico was on the phone with me, the charge went though on my credit card, I just don't know if they are mailing me the tickets or I have to get them at will call. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

11. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    I got some clarification on the tix: (nothing groundbreaking, but nice to hear something)

- Because of reciprocation, USSF only took the # of tix from Mex Fed that they themselves will want to allow for the return home leg in September. So there is some dynamic involved. For example, if we took 2,000 from Azteca (officially thru the Feds), we'd have to give 2,000 for Columbus/KC to the Mex Feds. That's <2% capacity for Azteca, and 10+% for us. Again, nothing groundbreaking but there was some thought around it.

- The USSSC got the first dibs through the email blast last week. Those tix sold out very fast. (i don't know how many were taken, sorry). They then used a Waitlist feature.

- The AO packages that include tix were cut off/sold out the same day as well. This was to ensure the USSF could control (rightfully so) the number of tix they'd have to reciprocate.

- USSF will determine in the next day or 2 if they will take any off the wait list (knowing they'll have to give back in KC/Columbus if they do). Those on the waitlist will be notified shortly either way.

- Those that got USSSC tickets through Eventbright, there definitely was a mistake in that those tickets printed off are NOT VALID. USSF will mail the real tickets in the next week or so. That was an oversight on their part, and an announcement will go out soon to that effect.

- Goes without saying that the USSF is aware they need to tighten up the communications to an every increasing away travel fan base. They are working on that internally, and i'll give them credit in that regards. Admission is the 1st step... :)

To those on the fence of buying a plane ticket or not, you should 100% do it. We'll help you figure out where to buy tickets and then you can migrate into the secure section if you want. Don't hold of your trip due to game ticket uncertainty. Tix are cheap, and will be available all around the stadium and thru forums, etc..

Real Corona, aimorris and Eddie Stiel repped this.
  12. TDun22

TDun22 New Member

Mar 4, 2013
    An update from trials and successes over the last few days. Hope it helps:

-ticketmaster.com.mx does not allow ppl outside Mexico to buy tickets at this time
    -tried absolutely everything to bypass this (including co-workers with family in Mexico) No good.
    -I bought a calling card online (very cheap- hablamexico.com)
    -Dialed in with my passcode and alled the Mexican customer service line: 011-52-1-55-5325-9000
    -It took a couple tries but I finally pushed the right numbers (my spanish isn't great)
    -Asked to speak to someone who spoke English, waited a little longer
    -Spoke to someone who was very helpful and accommodating
    -Brief banter about who was playing well for El Tri and who would win the game
    -They allowed me to buy tickets with my american credit card. Apparently over the phone is the only way they can make an exception on this.
    -Tickets will be at will call either at Mexico airport (international terminal) or Azteca

Overall, I found this to be much easier than my earlier attempts to find someone with a Mexican address and credit card. Plus the people at Ticketmaster Mexico were very nice and helpful. It does look like there are still great seats left. I am a little worried about the safety of sitting in the middle of Azteca so might try to get into the American section for the second half. Does anyone know if this will be allowed for Americans who do not have seats in the specific American section?

Thanks and Go USA!

aimorris and wixson7 repped this.
  13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually know Americans who've watched the game in the general section and haven't had problems.

14. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably cause they let their team beat the crap out of us...

15. lougaetjens

lougaetjens New Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm thinking of going this same route. Question for you. Were you able to ask for a particular section or did they sell you whatever they had available? I want to know if I can buy a general admission in the south end of the stadium, which is the "visitantes" section.

16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    FYI- for those that got the PDF's from USSSC, i just got the official email saying the PDF's are bunk and they'll be mailing out the official tickets in the next week or so.

17. Garguy

Garguy New Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well written and well said; all of it. Your are what you project at Azteca, so if you want to wear a bandana around your face, flag draped over you and face painted, you should consider the USA section. The Mexican Federales protecting the section will allow you to enter because they know you're American and it causes them less trouble.

Conversely, if you are traveling to watch the match and are low key, maybe share a round of beers with the people around you, everything will be fine. I've sat upper deck gen admin and although there's good natured ribbing and shirt tugging when they score, generally you reap what you deserve. Have fun all and if you're still looking for seats I have a few left in Section D, Rows 10 & 11.

18. ravegooner

ravegooner New Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the same boat as some of you. I didn't think I was going to be able to make this trip b/c of work, but now I can. Looking for assistance on obtaining a match ticket. I'd say my first option is Garguy, I PM'd him asking to buy one of his spares off him.

Just in case, does anyone else have a spare ticket I may be able to acquire?

I'm tagging along with friends from Seattle who are already doing this trip.

19. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Same here. Looking for one ticket, preferably with the AO section that gets seated all together. I want to enjoy this incredible experience again.

20. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Hey man, sent you a DM to see if you have any spares. I live in South Florida as well so we could even meet up if that is more convenient for you.

21. panOL

panOL New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I bought my ticket for the brief moment they were available on Eventbrite. Last week I got the previously mentioned email from US Soccer saying the PDFs are no good but that my ticket would be sent via snail mail this week. Can't wait! I'll be in DF from Sun-Fri, staying in Zona Rosa. Anyone want to meet up for drinks or sightseeing, send a message. I'll probably take the metro to Azteca. Anyone want to meet up and get down there together on the metro? Game ends pretty late, hope the metro will still be viable afterwards.

22. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Does anyone know when we can expect to receive our tickets from AO?

23. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my brother and I are interested in finding some people to take the metro with. We're staying in Centro.

24. TDun22

TDun22 New Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Yes I was able to have a dialogue with the guy about where I wanted my seats- they will work with you

25. Foot Fana

Foot Fana New Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Guys I get my tickets. Two tickets of "General Sur" from Ticketmaster Mexico; and two (behind the goal) I got through a couple mexican friend living in northern mexico. So, I will have some spare tickets to sell. I will be staying in Zona Rosa. I will arrive in Mexico City on Friday March 22nd in the afternoon. If anybody needs some tickets, please let me Know.