Travel/Tickets: USA versus Jamaica in Kingston 9/7/2012

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by GOREVS3000, Nov 21, 2011.

1. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    in my experience in the past few cycles the USSF would get an allocation of tickets to most of the matches (last cycles T&T semi-final was an exception). this cycle it seems they are more focused on promoting the USA-MEX friendly.

on the non-member tickets, i got an email from AO talking about it and responded so im hoping that they will have tickets available to all US supporters

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got a response? I didn't

3. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited. Any idea if they'll be a US fan meet-up event (it's my first away game), other than at Wyndham haha.

4. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    i have yet to get a response

5. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    probably meet up day of the match for some drinks somewhere near or on way to stadium. and then depending upon time and location some drinks after the match

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wyndham is fairly close to the stadium. I think it's 2k or so.

Most of the other hotels are right in that area.

7. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have yet to get a response.

8. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    got an email today from AO asking if i definitely wanted a ticket so it seems they will be open to members and non-members alike

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Tonkdaddy14

Tonkdaddy14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/events/us-vs-jamaica-away-9712

Pre-game bar will be the Hut, located at 1 Roxborough Avenue, Kingston, Saint Andrew Parish, Jamaica. This is 4 blocks away from the Stadium. I'm guessing we'll be there 4-5 hours before kick off. I personally am traveling from Ocho Rios the day of the game with some friends and will try to meet the AO people there.

Real Corona and PCFC repped this.
  11. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet. Don't see much about the spot online but close to stadium.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    any TV info for this?

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    you must buy your tickets in Jamaica it says

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely ppv

15. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land
    I was all set to go to the game but conflicts with my son's soccer tournament and a wife who thinks it’s not cool to miss the first two games (not to mention that I coach the team) on 9/8 laid those plans to rest.
    Kingston is not as bad as advertised but then again, for first time visitors, well, "you aint in Kansas anymore". Go with an open mind and you will be surprised by its charm (well New Kingston anyways). My recommendation for Hotels - Spanish Court and and on the lower end Knutsford Court (I don’t know why, but I prefer this hotel – not fancy, just comfy and great location). Wyndham and Hilton are nice but will be crowded. To get to the game, just arrange something with your hotel and make sure its JUTA taxi/van (red license plate). The hotel and taxi guy will take care of you. All the hotels have fairly decent restaurants so food should be no problem.
    If you get into Kingston early you can hang out in Emancipation Park for an hour or so – interesting statutes at the entrance.
    Devon House is a must see – try their Ice Cream. Their restaurant is pretty good too – Norma’s on the Terrace
    For the very best in Patties - buy from Tastee – again cheap and filling.
    Quick cheap eats can be had at Chelsea Jerk Center.
    For drinks, hotel bars are fine but if you want to venture out:
    Cuddy'Z Sports Bar
    Usain Bolt’s Tracks and Records

If hanging around Kingston for a day or two, head to Port Royal and have Dinner/Lunch at Morgan’s Harbour – again taxi arranged through the hotel is quite cheap and they will wait for you. If you are into Golf – Caymanas outside Kingston is actually a very nice course. If you really want to get the local flavor of Jamaica – Hellshire Beach is an experience. If you want a more tone down experience then Lime Cay is a cool chill spot. Another option is Bob Marley Museum.

You also have the option of a drive up to the Blue Mountains and have lunch/dinner a Strawberry Hills or better yet, leave Kingston the day after the game and spend a day or two at Strawberry hills.

Be safe and enjoy – and witness history as Jamaica gets their first win against the US, 1-0. Wish I was going … oh well it’s on to Columbus.

For those coming in from MoBay/Negril – plan 4-5 hours, From Ochie 2.

DonJuego, PCFC, wixson7 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    great info...looking for a few places to get a killer breakfast (ackee and saltfish) as well as some good local eats...ill check out the Chelsea Jerk Center any other places you can recommend? thanks for the great tips!

17. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    ill be staying at the Wyndham Friday night....

PCFC and Real Corona repped this.
  18. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land
    Island Grill serves good ackee and salt fish- weekends are usually quite busy. If you fly out of Kingston on an early morning flight you can grab breakfast from an Island Grill just before you board. Since AA does not serve food, that's what I usually do. Dont be shy, sample some of the food sold outside the stadium.

I am sure you all are, but make sure you are seated in the grandstand section of the stadium.

19. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case you didn't hear, the Arabic network (BeIn Sports) bought the rights for all of the USMNT Away qualifiers (excluding the one match at Azteca). This includes the Jamaica match. BeIn is only on Direct TV & Dish at the moment.

20. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate the info. I've been reading up on places to go and I think you listed everything. I was hoping to check out U/B Record and Tracks but Cuddyz is much closer to Wyndham.

O/T: but will there be any cricket games? I don't know how to search for their games at all.

21. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    what else did you find in your research?

22. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work with a Jamaican in my lab. And conversed with many others I encountered. And they all seem to point to going to the Devon House, Bob Marley Museum, checking out Port Royal's pirate history, and partying up at Quad, Cuddyz or Usain Bolt's. Also considering the Botanical Garden. People have also told me about the beauty of the Blue Mountains, which everyone seems to point to Strawberry Hills (which a simple google search can cause drools). However, that might be too much for my weekend trip...especially with no car.

And the information about JUTA taxis seems consistent.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pcfc. Are you traveling alone?

25. jahman

jahman Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Outside Reggae Land
    ESPN cricinfo is a good start. If you are a cricket fan then you should add Sabina Park to your list. I believe they offer tours. WI vs Kiwis just wrapped up there.

A weird bit of info - Bob Wolmer spent his last days at the Kingston Hilton.