Travel Novels

Discussion in 'Books' started by StrikerCW, Sep 23, 2006.

1. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So reminiscing about my travels this summer I have begin to once again long for travel.

In my absense I am wondering if any of you guys know or reccommend any novels (I like novels, but entertaining non-fiction is ok as well) that remind you of travel or are about travel. Etc. You know what I mean. Something related to foreign lands, especially Europe.

2. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If u want to get in the travelling mood, try Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintainance .. Little philosophical and a little boring (i'm not into philosophical stuff) but a good read ..

3. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He writes mostly about Asia, but, I'd recommend anything by Pico Iyer

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Anyone who ever spent some time backpacking in South-East Asia will find 'are you experienced' by William Sutcliffe absolutely hilarious. Deals with all the clichés of 'travelling' and the Lonely Planet devotees. Don't read it on the bus people will look at you funny as you won't be able to stop laughing. Again if you've ever been a similar trip. To others it's probably irrelevant.

5. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    About Europe, "Neither here nor there" by Bill Bryson. Not a novel, but laughing out loud funny, as usual with Bryson.

6. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Try Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad for a humorous travel memoir.

Quango

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Roughing It, too.

I promised in some previous thread to stop pimping this guy's stuff, but Alan Furst's WWII espionage novels read like European travelogues sometimes. Dark Star and Night Soldiers are probably the most appropriate to the topic.

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything by Bryson, really. Humorous observations on the little quirks of the world will always entertain me.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tony Horwitz. anything of his. I love Bryson (I have all his books and some of his audiobooks) but I like horwitz even more.

10. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got Byrson's "Notes from a Small Island" So far in chapter 3, pretty funny. Definatelly one to check out.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the only book of bryson's i didn't like as "The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America." I thought he just sounded mean in that book (he made reference to that himself, a couple of times).

the think I like most about him is that he more often than not finds the silver lining in situations. here, it was like he was looking for reasons to hate stuff.

12. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Bryson actually does the stuff he says.. like walk 30 miles in 2 days in the 'wilderness' of England?

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have no reason to doubt him .... why do you?

14. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't, just seemed a little far fetched but definatelly feasible. You never know about these writer types, they are a crazy bunch.

15. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    According to "A walk in the woods" he is an excellent hiker and did the Appalachian Trail (well, most of it anyway).

I've read all his books and, roughly speaking, everything he does seems feasible. However, I've no doubt that specific dialogues and situation are cleverly rewritten.

As a french poet, René Char, said : "un poète doit laisser des traces de son passage, non des preuves. Seules les traces font rêver" (A poet must leave traces of his passing, and no evidence. Only traces make people dream).

Bryson is no poet, but I suspect he's following the advice.