travel in Africa

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by yellowbismark, Oct 6, 2003.

1. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anybody been?

I haven't, but it is something I have been interested in for a while. There is a program that goes to Namibia at my school.

What countries would be the best bet for African travel? What are the costs? What are some interesting things to see or do there (besides safaris)?

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been to Africa, but a friend of mine lived in Madagascar for about a year and said it was incredible. I saw some video he shot there and I'd have to say I agree from what I saw. He didn't spend very much money either.

3. angus_hooligan

angus_hooligan New Member

May 15, 2001
    Chicago
    There are a lot of resorts in Kenya. Everything there is dirt cheap. You can barter for everything and anything. Seriously, this guy offered me his sister for the pair of socks that I was wearing. The most expensive thing that you'd have would be the airfare which is could be in the thousands.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    a woman i work with spent two years in africa working for habitat for humanity-international in a small african country. she has left for the day but for the life of me i cannot remember the name of the country. she loved her experience and said she would do it again if she had the opportunity.

we also had a program in our architecture school that went to ghana every summer; building a library, a playground, houses, etc. everyone who i talked with that went had a great time and said the people were so nice and welcoming of them for the summer.

anyways. in both cases the costs for traveling, living, etc were very cheap. the woman i work with spent nearly nothing the two years she was over there, everything was for barter or exchange. money hardly ever switched hands in the small villages she was in constant contact with.

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have a friend who spent 8 months in Namibia and just loved it.

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have less experiences in Africa than other posters, but I was in South Africa and Swalizland as a tourist. South Africa was an interesrting experiences. It is perhaps the only First World country in Africa, but it still offered a Third World Feel. The country is also very diverse....

7. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: travel in Africa

I loved Kenya when i was there. You might as well bring socks around with you, you can trade them for most everything. I was in Mombassa and southern Kenya on safari. Everything is cheap, the people are friendly, and it just gives a wonderful feeling being there. I can't really describe it, but it was the first time i was in Africa, and it felt like home. It is just wonderful in east africa.

8. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    My brother just got back from Tanzania. It was an awesome trip, apparantly.

9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I hope you enjoy E-Bola and AIDS, not to mention Dengue Fever. Africa is a festering pit of disease, make sure you make out your will before you go.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *wading through ignorance*

You do realize that AIDS can't be contracted by vacationing right?

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never know on BigSoccer :D

13. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I spent part of my childhood in Kenya ... great place. Going downhill a bit at the moment (north-east of the country is more or less no-go) but cracking if you know the score. My family has been over there since Whitey first announced himself the new laird of all things dark and mysterious, so we've got solid roots in the place.

Tsavo West is a brilliant Safari Park and the Indian Ocean coastline between Malindi and Mombassa is lovely.

The Cairngorns are stupendous too.