Transfers, sales, and signings for 2008

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by glyconerd, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Both Vaughn and Bornstein were late picks in the draft. They are entering a program that truly gives players a shot to develop. Both Ayala and Sherard are MVPs for their squads so we may see something there.

In any case we still need an dominant attacking mid and possibly a GK.

2. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Well, they can't sign a top Mexican player because then big Chivas would wonder why they didn't get him--unless it's somebody like Morales who's eventually on his way out.

Chivas USA's identity problem comes from this acquisition dilemma--MLS is too good for just a fuerzas basicas or Chivas Coras guy, and Chivas doesn't want to part with any of its bench players, AND increasingly the league is going South American, not so much Central American, with the possible exception being Fredy Thompson if he comes in. So what's the answer?

Chivas USA needs to go South American the same way DC is, the same way any LMF team not named Chivas does. They need to take advantage of the fact that they can offer:

1. A Spanish-speaking community and culture
    2. L.A.
    3. Great stadium, facilities, weather, natural grass surface

to any potential signing from South America. These are strong selling points.

If Columbus can get Guille, if Chicago can get Conde (an amazing player), Dallas can get Toja, DC can get Gallardo and Niell and Gonzalo Martinez, and even Salt Lake can get this Argentinos Jrs. guy Matias Cordoba, then Chivas USA should be able to top them all in this regard.

With 8 international spots open (no more YI/SI) and a weak dollar hampering Euro imports, the logical answer is South America. Chivas USA should be able to beat other teams in MLS to signatures because of the points I've mentioned above.

It's a mystery to me that they're not at least trying.

3. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our owner has "interesting" views on non-Mexican Latino players as I have witnessed first hand. We should have more high-quality hermanos on this team (think 11 Maykel Galindos), but we NEVER will.

This ownership team wants Mexican players that it can't "afford". In the meantime, we have to settle for Harris and Esky. No offense.

Speaking of money, Esky's salary is more than Cunliffe's and Merlin's COMBINED. He has to score more goals than those two. I admit that we are spending more on players like Esky, but DC United is forging a model for South american players that Chivas USA seems content to just not care about.

Can you imagine Cristian Gomez or Schelotto in Chivas stripes?

Exactly.

4. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Well, Gomez could happen. He wants 500k per year, but if you sell Guzan, you could use allocation $ to reduce Gomez's cap hit and avoid him counting as a DP. The problem is that Chivas doesn't have much to offer DC, aside from more allocation $ and draft picks.

5. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We still need money for El Cubano#2, Thompson or other unknown Central American, not to mention. Gomez is looking more money. CUSA is looking to save money for that Unicorn (fantasy) Mexican player that isn't interested in playing in a league "weaker" than the FMF (allegedly). Not to mention the awesome, world class MLS refs that will ignore them when they dive or fall, looking for a favorable call. Just reference the Bruno Marioni interview from interliga.

The fact of the matter is Cue and co. are happy to go on ESPN deportes and tell a mighty tale of how their looking at a "name" player from either Mexico or Europe. When in reality its just a ploy to get people interested in the team.

In the meantime, contending teams are reloading.

Sorry Antonio, the fans need more than Esky, Harris, and Curtin to feel excited about 2008. I don't think they know that guzan is leaving real soon and we have NO back up.

6. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Great post, however, it is not a Mystery. A quick look at Chivas coaches and we can see that they have all been European, with the exception of Bradley.

Most of these coaches prefer the work horse type over the creative, dribbling, style player. A clear example is how fast Preki got rid of Guevara.

I said it long ago, there are many great players that can easily be signed in the Brazilian and Argentine divisions. I agree with you in that Chivas USA should be a more lucrative destination for South American players.

7. echo-2

echo-2 Member

LAFC
    Mexico
    Nov 4, 2007
    San Pedro, CA.
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG! I thought I was the only one that felt that way. Well said! I also feel that the front office is just blowing smoke up our arsses just to keep us at bay. In reality it seems like this is the way we will be going into the season. Cue willtry tosell that no major changes needed to be made to a team that finished first in the division. Im Pissed!

8. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Dear FO, Put up or Shut up!

You know as much as I hate the galaxy and Alexi Lalas, I think they're doing something right off the pitch.

9. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Just a bit of info on Eskandarian - Jason Kreis indicated in an interview that he really wanted to have Esky back this year, but Esky didn't feel like the situation was a good fit for him. Kreis thinks he will have a breakout year this year with Chivas after having a disappointing couple of years.

10. Ultravolta

Ultravolta New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Dancefloor
    Get The Best Mexican Talent!

[youtube]ga8z7SB1sqk[/youtube]
    GIOVANNI DOS SANTOS

11. ChivaFan

ChivaFan New Member

May 29, 2006
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be problem scoring more goals than Cunliffe and Merlin! What did they score all season ? Three or four between then two of them, in a LOT of minutes on the oitch!

12. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Get The Best Mexican Talent!

In an interview he said if he had to leave Europe he would go back to play for America. Yup so Giovanni is only a dream :p

13. SoccerCityFC

SoccerCityFC Member

Dec 28, 2007
    New Hampshire
  14. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We are all hoping that he can break the squad this season. Everybody wants players willing to accept any assignment and give everything to get it. He sounds like a player that could fit the mentality of Preki's troops.

15. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you heard anything about Takayuki Suzuki coming to play for Chivas? I don't have a source on this so I'm NOT saying it will happen, I'm just wondering if there has been any news on him.

16. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where'd you get your info? I'm curious to know about this player.

17. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing solid as of yet.........Suzuki played for Kashima in the J League before moving to Red Star Belgrade and sitting....he then came back to Japan and played sparingly for Yokohama Marinos. He is known as a "defensive" striker......which means he doesn't really score. The only reason I mention it is because I know Takuya Yamada was in camp with Chivas last year and I'm curious to see if there is a connection there. Just a rumor I'm trying to follow up on.

18. vfb_fan

vfb_fan Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  19. michoacano1

michoacano1 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    COWTOWN, TX

Go to the Training Camp thread. I posted a link to sideline views whih mentions that Suzuki is on trial and in Camp.:D

20. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you say Wicky!
    [​IMG]

21. FC Arizona

FC Arizona Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    I understand that it is pronunced like Vicky.

22. QuakePaola

QuakePaola New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    San Francisco
    I really do not want Donovan in the Earthquakes!

23. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    God all mighty and La Virgensita de Guadalupe forbid ********van joining Chivas USA. My world would crumble.

24. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis

Atiba is a good signing,
    he didn't score much while playing for Real Salt Lake bcoz they never used him properly. If you watched any of their games you'll realise he's always going into the midfield to pick the ball up. The midfielders should be bringing the ball to him instead of him going to get it all the time like that.
    The more playing time he gets the more you'll get from him. I've played against one time while he was still here in St. Kitts but that was in a practice match manybyears ago and he was good then and still is. If Chivas plays him as an out and out striker they'll get his full ability.
    I'm not speaking bcoz he's from my country i'm speaking out of honesty.