Alert: Transfer Window Talk!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Oct 14, 2021.

1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Amrabats progressive passes are in the 80th percentile, which is pretty decent. He's actually the most progressive passer of the CMs we have statically. He's not a progressive ball carrier, which is what ETH has been looking for ever since the failed De Jong saga.

benni... repped this.
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Speaking of progressive passes, have we had any midfielder that can consistently pass between the lines since Carrick retired? I can’t think of a single one. So many of our attacks under SAF in the later seasons was started by a Carrick pass through the lines to the feet of Rooney and the like. Our current midfielders can only pass sideways or the odd diagonal to a winger.

3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maybe our first bit of business this window ...

Whatever the deal is with Donny, clear he needs to move on to get games - so best of luck to him.

majspike and Deadtigers repped this.
  4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    That's good business. Hopefully he plays.

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I hope he tears it up. Say what you will about fitting in but unlike a lot of the other guys on the squad, he has kept his mouth shut and just kept working.

6. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Mostly he plays passes and even dribbles backwards or sideways. I'd say our defenders do more to try to play the ball forward than he does (certainly Shaw). I would say he's more like a relief valve when we get put under pressure.

His lack of pace was exposed today. Always looked 2nd best to the ball.

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I disagree, I thought having Amrabat in was critical. He provides a high engine with good control. He won't break lines with his passes but he controls the ball and gets it back to the defenders in a better position to pass or someone else. We need a steady 6 we can trust. I like him with Mainoo.

JC7rox repped this.
  8. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree. I thought both Amrabat and Mainoo were vital in keeping their attack tame, so to speak. Unfortunately, one or the other is hitting the bench when Bruno returns because of McT's not getting benched any time soon.

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I know we have a lot of injuries but couldn't McT tweak a hammy in training? Do you think McT didn't hurt us this game cause of the double pivot?

I really like having a proper 6 and 8. In a perfect world against top 6 opponents we should be starting Case with Amrabat and then subbing Mainoo for Case at 60 minutes. Letting Bruno play 10 and just worry about 10 would be nice.

JC7rox repped this.
  10. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I don't think Bruno can play that freely unless the opponent is weaker or maybe on par with us. Against the Liverpools, it's all hands on deck. The double pivot alone isn't enough. We need every player pulling together, making it harder for them to play through us.

I would be more inclined to start Mainoo alongside Casemiro.

The one difference between Scott and Amrabat is Amrabat has that 6th sense of where to be and when, whereas Scott often looks lost. But Amrabat looks a shade off the pace. If he doesn't get to grips with the pace of the game in EPL, he might not last here.

After the Euros, there's a good chance Scott gets sold. We tried to move him last summer, but this summer I think we will. Scotland have shown they can upset some of the bigger teams and he's really at the heart of their team. It would not shock me if he ends up at a Juve or Bayern, but he could easily make his way at a club like West Ham or Fulham just the same.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not really a transfer, but Jeane Claude Blanc is about to become CEO according to Romano. Not a bad move.

Also, apparently we are interested in Dan Ashwood for some sort of DOF position.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He said that weeks ago about Blanc. I've given up.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Aside from enough talk, it is all kinda pointless without authority (eg owners not meddling) and resources to back up that authority (eg transfer funds / investment) whoever they put in whatever roles.

Most will continue to view the whole thing as a farce until some evidence to the contrary.

Deadtigers, benni... and JC7rox repped this.
  14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh I agree it won’t really matter. Theyre smart appointments, if they ever happen. But without financial backing and independence to operate the way they see fit, they are ceremonial positions and nothing more.

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    According to Ornstein at The Athletic we want a striker and a right-sided CB in the January window but will either have to be super cheap (yeah right) or more realistically loans or facilitated by exits.

Says delays to Ineos stake mean they will play no real part in the transfers in January - as even if agreed the FA process takes it into February. So any Ratcliffe influence only really comes into play in the summer.

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2023/1...-a-striker-and-centre-back-in-january-273293/

SF19 repped this.
  16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    there is a rumour about our scouts watching Guirassy (16 or so goals for Stuttgart)

as for Todibo someone reported Spurs were entering into talks (don't recall who)

17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    If we still have problems at RW next season what about raiding Palace for Olise?

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Also what about Jaden Philogene of Hull City to replace Martial as the other CF. He is just 21, and only left Villa for more game time.

19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Not saying we will or should do this, but if there's a Villa graduate we should look into its Cameron Archer who just scored vs. Villa yesterday,.

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Philogene seems to have more potential. However, signing a young under 23 forward with potential, makes sense.

21. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I wish we could sign Leao, he'll always be a twat in my eyes (rescinding) but he's everything I wish we had.

22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some rumors that Getafe offered 40 mil for Greenwood and we turned it down. Could just be we want to see if some of the big boys get involved in the bidding this summer. But I have a feeling INEOS might bring him back.

23. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Leao deserves a club where he might actually win a Balon d'Or. Rashford too for that matter. I imagine a few of our better players are on the way out this summer.

24. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I suspect Mason will be put on loan again elsewhere. It's better for his development than if he returned next season.

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think loaning Greenwood again makes sense for United. If we want him back, then they'll just bring him back. If we want to sell, his value will be high enough this summer to do so. Loaning does nothing for either of those options except for weakening our position due to less contract remaining.

SF19 and CybrSlydr repped this.