Alert: Transfer Window Talk!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by benni..., Oct 14, 2021.

1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, agreed @benni... I've come to the same conclusion. It's why I'm conflicted regarding EtH. I don't agree with many of decisions, especially of late, but he's got an impossible job. Firing him isn't really a fix.

topnoevili and benni... repped this.
  2. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #4877 JC7rox, Nov 5, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    Firing EtH would just restart the same cycle United has been on since the Fergie era ended. Fix the ownership situation, set up an actual club/footballing hierarchy (director of football/scouting/manager), these are the things the club needs.

Father Ted, jscott23, Deadtigers and 3 others repped this.
  3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I’m so sick of restarting the same cycle over and over. It’s likely where we are headed unless SJR comes in and actually has any say over matters. But it should be clear that changing the manager again won’t solve anything.

4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Guys, I said it a weeks ago after Jassim opted out. This club isn't going anywhere until the Glazers are gone. Nothing is going to change. I'm slowly pulling myself away from this relationship/fandom I've had in almost 50 years with this club. I'm not even sad anymore, it is what it is.

Deadtigers, munjun68 and Sofabloke repped this.
  5. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
  6. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4881 CybrSlydr, Nov 9, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
    As much as you guys don't like him, I'm with Goldbridge on this. We can't sack ten Hag. It reinforces player power, which has ruined every manager since SAF retired. As long as the players have power, we'll just be in this constant merry-go-round of managers, never going anywhere. We'll have 5 different managers players trying to play under a 6th. I would 1000000% give EtH a new contract to send a message to these worthless shits that wear the jersey.

Secondly - where is the money coming from? We're so broke we can't even buy Amrabat and had to bring him in on a loan! Reguillon, etc. Where's the money coming from to pay EtH to sack him? Thirdly, where is the money coming from after paying EtH to sack him, to buy de Zerbi? Word is EtH buyout is north of $15M. You really think Brighton will give up de Zerbi? If they do, United are going to pay through the nose, probably double what we have to pay EtH to sack him.

THEN where is the money coming from to buy de Zerbi players? SJR isn't in yet, and according to Goldbridge, an interview with the largest stock market share holder of United stock says they have no idea what's going on with the partial sale. None. So where is all this money coming from to do this? Say we do pry de Zerbi away from Brighton - how much money is he getting to start a 6th rebuild after the previous 5 were aborted due to player power and a lack of sack in the board?

None of this makes any sense. At all. I would whole-heartedly endure a terrible season or two if EtH got an extension so he could try and flush out all this deadwood and rot to actually have a chance to rebuild this club into something rather than want him out to start a 6th failed rebuild. We can't keep doing this. There is no quick fix for the rot and lack of mental fortitude in this club. It's going to get worse before it gets better. We have to accept that and stick with EtH.

EtH IN!

Manchester United investors left in dark over club’s fate, says top shareholder

https://www.ft.com/content/84ebb67e-9914-4dd4-b2f6-36c6792147c1

“I’ve got to assume that we’re closer to some sort of an announcement or crystallisation of value but who knows when or quite what shape it will take if the rumours are correct,” said Train, co-founder of fund group Lindsell Train. “I’ve no basis for knowing if they are or not.”"

Deadtigers and Sofabloke repped this.
  7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let alone, what sane manager would take the United job if we sack EtH? You would know coming in that...

1. Player power trumps yours
    2. You have no money to buy players
    3. You have 3 different manager's players to try and cobble into a cohesive unit (which the previous managers couldn't)
    4. You have multiple on-and-off the pitch issues with players tainting the locker room
    5. Even if you were given money, you have to wait 9 months before you can make any significant buys, so what you have is what you have
    6. There is no structure at the club to support you - you have to do everything from recruiting to training.

United is worse than a dumpster fire at this point. I would seriously question the sanity and ability of any manager that would willingly take the position if we do sack EtH.

God help us all.

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    If SJR gains control, then there will be money, but FFP restrictions remain. That won't affect buying out contracts for ten Hag/de Zerbi or players like Mags.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SF19 repped this.
  10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    7 players still with the club and bought by 4 different managers. I hope SJR does a Root to Branch report on the scouting and transfer strategy. I thorough review should provide enough proof to sack them all.

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    benni..., Deadtigers, SF19 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Gross. Just get Toney for the same money.

benni... and Deadtigers repped this.
  13. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Same money? Toney will go for at least 60 - 70m pounds.

14. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I think that depends on if it's a bidding war etc. But coming off a lengthy ban when he hasn't played and questions remain about him being a gambling addict, there will be a discount. But we can bet on it if you'd like. I'm thinking he goes in January for sure, so we can do an over under.

15. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think he goes for sure in January myself. I think that's 50/50, but more likely if a huge offer like 60m comes in. Otherwise, I can see Brentford holding off until the summer and see if they can get another 10-15 goals out of him in the back half of the campaign. He's still a reasonable age and I see now rush for them to sell.

16. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Him and Werner are the same age. I think he goes this January for under the 60.

17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    another rumour out there but from a bad source is Varane to Bayern (mirror)

it makes sense given Bayern have made the same mistake they did last year by going into a season with less than 4 centre halves which is why we had to endure that "Pavard is a CB" crap last window.

at least this time it is 3 CBs instead of 2. not sure why they keep doing this but have several FBs in stock

18. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I wouldn't bet on that happening....

19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The hubris is strong with this one.

Pavard has been playing at CB almost exclusively since joining Inter...who are top of the league and have the best defensive record in the league. But nope, not a CB, despite what the player says, what the Inter manager says, and where he's played his entire career outside of his time at Bayern.

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As for the Werner rumors, don’t think he’s good enough but also not as bad as people think due to his Chelsea disaster. He gets into tons of good positions which is a skill unto itself. But his finishing is poor and that’s already an area where we struggle massively. He’d be an upgrade on Martial and nothing more.

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yup, who wouldn't want this frantic, indecisive mess in the heart of their backline?

1:05 - #28 ball watching, unaware not picking up anyone and then nothing?

2:05 - #28 ball chasing again, abandons his guy on the right to occupy the other CBs space, only to finally fall over?

this is precisely what i mean about blind statments and not watching the leagues. the stats googling was strong with that one.

Pavard isn't first choice and hasn't looked too clever when he's played. he's lucky he's in the 3-5-2 and that Inter is comfortable against most in the league so he isn't exposed as much.

these are but two examples that immediately came to mind. but i digress

22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    First it's he's not a CB, now rather than admit you're wrong it's that he's a bad CB. Ok, goal post moving at its finest but sure, why not.

So, cherry picking videos is a better representation of a players performance than their overall stats. Can't argue with that logic. But since you brought up stats...that "indecisive mess" ranks 85th percentile or higher over the past year in tackles, interceptions, and blocks. He's 95th percentile or higher in every major passing or ball progression stat as well. But I'm sure those stats don't matter because hey look at these two clips I found!

Oh and you're also wrong about him not being first choice, which I'm sure you already know since you watch the league so much. He didn't join until week 2 or 3 I think, so as with any player it took a few weeks of training to acclimate. Since week 4 he's started in all but one game before getting injured. But apparently starting in 9/10 games makes you a backup.

Blind statements. Right.

Not sure why I bother.

23. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    lol Pavard

The question is do we sign someone like Tobido now or stick it out with Varane until the summer. IMO we have to sign someone now.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    re: Todibo - would he even want to join? has he previously expressed interest?

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    [​IMG]

SF19 repped this.