Transfer Thread...aka media lies

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DaPrince84, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    WTF would you want Gilberto there instead of Senderos ?? Dear god, some people amaze me.

Look, Gilberto's a DCM, he can play at CB because he's a very good player, despite dozens of people calling for his head a couple of seasons ago, but it's not his best position, (exactly like Senderos at RB :rolleyes: ) and he got caught out on several occasions last night. We do not want to have to pull Gilberto out of the midfield to play at CB unless we really have to, and selling Senderos would make that more likely.

ARRGGHH!

2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one picked up Alex?

[​IMG]

That looks like Diaby to me.

I have no idea why Djourou wasnt' played last night, i can only assume Wenger didn't feel that he was match fit.

3. ArsenalArsene

ArsenalArsene New Member

Apr 4, 2006
    i know your not blaming Diaby but for everyone else Alex was like 84 feet in the air. unstoppable.

our defenseive problems? for staters playing Toure and Gallas at CB would help, but injuries at LB and RB have prevented that.

btw Sendros would have eaten alive by the quick and the fast (= Faran and Kone) if he started (in place of Gilberto)

4. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Though I'd like to fix that problem, sure, I don't think it is our overall worry (not that you said it was). I don't have champs league stats at hand, but in the premiership, we have let in 23 and scored 50. ManU let in 19 scored 66, Chelsea let in 19, scored 50, Liverpool let in 20, scored 44. So, give or take a few goals let in or scored, we are, of course, where we should be in terms of numbers.

But what sucks is that we let these goals in when we've dominated a game, taken four times as many shots, and had clear, beautiful chances squandered. For the second year in a row, I feel that it is our offence that has let us down. Though the scoring numbers are the same as, say Chelsea, we have 4-0 winnings over Reading, or 6-whatever Liverpool (carling cup, I know, different goal totals), but we go down 1-0 to Sheffield. Sure we shouldn't have let that goal in, but we certainly certainly should have scored at least one ourselves. When the goals go in against us, we end up seeing that for an opponent's two or four shots, a goal goes in. We have 14 such moments, and an extra pass is made, a shot shanked wide, a crazy mix-up where Aliadiere and Baptista try to shoot the ball through each other....

5. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    No Miles, ofcourse I'd rather have Senderos there. I just feel that in an emergency Gilberto can fill that role. But I guess you're right. If Senderos does go and we don't replace him with a purchase then that would mean Gilberto going to CB more often than we like.

6. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Wow! Maybe I got that wrong but it looked like Alex made a run in the box to get to that ball which no one seemed to pick up. Impressive leaps by both of them.

7. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

Ok then, it was the

that made me think you rather have Gilberto there then Senderos...

8. XCdude24

XCdude24 New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    UCSB
    BTW, how do you guys rate quaresma? I know he's labeled a poor man's ronaldo and all that crap, but IMO if he went to Arsenal Arsene would really clean up his game. Solid alternative to Ribery, who might go to bayern from what I hear.

9. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    i really rate quaresma and if he came here he would improve even more. ronaldo would probably turn out a poor mans quaresma in my opinion.

10. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    touche.

11. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spend Money. For once let's sign sign a defender who is confident in his ability. Someone like Alex or Onyewu could really take names in the back for us.

12. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the Gooch, but are you really suggesting he would be an improvement over Kolo Toure and William Gallas? :eek:

13. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I love Onyewu as much as the next guy – probably more, actually – but he's an unproven quantity. I'm not going to go so far to say that he is better than any CB we have on our team... Senderos or otherwise.

14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's already a pre-arranged marriage between Alex and Chelsea.

15. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting, I always had heard that there was something sort of hazy and mysterious, and maybe even underhanded about the relationship between Chelski, PSV and Alex, but the quotes from Koeman after the match made it sound like it was just a plain ol' loan.

16. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Abidal rumor is back... with a vengance!!!

Reportedly available for 10m. We've heard the rumor of interest in Abidal before (right before this season) but then we got Gallas. It's somewhat believable, if only because he's French.

17. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uhh... yes

It would be nice to see him play sometime.

Look, I'm not a gooch aficionado or anything. I just think that we need a defender with some primacy.

18. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I'm sorry, Onyewu is better than Toure? Whatever drug you're on, I want some.

19. ASkergonan

ASkergonan New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    pdx- st. johns
    Unless it's 10 million thai baht, I'll pass...

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry but you're nuts if you think Gooch is a better player than Toure.

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You have a link to those Koeman quotes? Not trying to be a smartarse but I've never heard that it was a loan.

22. ASkergonan

ASkergonan New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    pdx- st. johns
    If we need some primacy. All we have to do is get this guy fit again:

[​IMG]

23. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    or if you really want primacy:

[​IMG]

24. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    Here yoss, I read it yesterday post-match:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6421475.stm

PSV coach Ronald Koeman - who sent Liverpool and Manchester United crashing out of the Champions League last season, was elated and paid tribute to the performance of Alex.

He said: "He's one of the best central defenders there is and it's incredible he plays for a team like PSV.

"He's Chelsea's player and PSV rent him from Chelsea because he's still not allowed to play in England.

"We're proud he plays for us but know it won't be for much longer.

"He can play against Chelsea in the next round because he's at PSV until the end of the season.

"After that we'll talk to Chelsea about his situation. It was an agreement with Chelsea that he stays with us for the season.

"I think Chelsea will be very happy Alex scored tonight."

25. Gunner14Kiwi

Gunner14Kiwi New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    BlackCaps town
    Who do we need to buy and sell.

For next season who do we need to buy and sell, in other word whats the missing bit of the puzzle.
    I hate lossing, so something has got to give, in the transfer window.

Selling:

Senderos, Aliadere.

Buying:

Woodgate, Gale, Eto'o, and a attacking winger, and the GK Igor ????? from Russia.