Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Almost done, Jan 21, 2020.

1. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    You cannot just create space anymore at will. These power 5 schools are now bound to 4 year scholarships, are they not?

And, the school you are at can cancel your scholarship immediately after you request to enter the portal. It is a big decision to enter the portal.

2. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    4 year scholarships were tried and changed back to year by year.

A coach can’t pull a scholarship from a player for poor performance - just for academic or disciplinary reasons.

Once a scholarshipped player enters the portal she voluntarily gives up her scholarship money.

3. Tigmon

Tigmon Member

Liverpool
    United States
    Aug 5, 2019
    No player wants to be a golden egg. In my opinion, wanting to transfer is for playtime or fit. If not that then for the challenge to be your best without sacrificing current package.

4. SkaterGator

SkaterGator New Member

Sounders
    United States
    Jan 31, 2020
    What is the rule for transfers between D2 to D1? I thought players lose a year of eligibility. How did All-American/Regional Player of the Yea Shanade Hopcroft transfer from D2 Univ. of Colorado - Colorado Springs transfer to Pac 12 Univ. of Colorado Boulder?

5. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    there’s a one time transfer exemption in most sports (except b-ball, football, some others, etc.)

SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  6. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #31 Eddie K, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    When a student transfers after using a year of eligibility, they must spend one "year in residence" at the new school before becoming eligible to play. The first school can waive this year in residency requirement but they do not have to. Many conferences will not allow the waiver for players transferring within the same conference. Some schools and conferences are tougher on this than others. For example, school A could say we won't grant the waiver to any school on our schedule or in our region that we might play in the post season. There are some exceptions and decisions can be appealed. In women's soccer its kind of rare for a player to have to sit out or spend that year in residence unless it's an in-conference transfer. Even some in conference transfers are allowed to play right away. Family circumstances/hardship, coaching changes, academic issues, are all reasons to grant the waiver and let the kid play even in the same conference.
    In your CO example, there's not much reason to make the player sit out a year. D2/D1 have this same rule but not d3. Can always play in d3 right away. And the player doesn't 'lose a year', they just can't play for that year after transferring so could play in a 5th year of college as an undergrad or grad student.

7. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It is key to note that decisions can be appealed. The SA almost always wins on appeal, instead of the school. Usually intraconference transfers in conferences where legislation requires a SA sit out a year, is the only time a SA will have to sit out in women’s soccer. Unless of course it’s a second transfer (not grad) or the SA isn’t eligible.
    With transfer portal coming to D2 as well as already existing in D1, you can no longer restrict permission to contact.

8. SkaterGator

SkaterGator New Member

Sounders
    United States
    Jan 31, 2020
    Thanks for the responses. I was always under the assumption you could transfer down (D1/D2) to D3 but you could not transfer up. In the example I used, I would say that is a great leap to a Pac-12 program. Kudos to her.

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you also can transfer without losing a year (even between schools in the same conference) if the school you're transferring from does not have a program in the field you've decided you want to study and the school you're transferring to does. A player and her transferee school can abuse this, but I believe it can be done. Maybe someone who knows more about transfers can verify whether this is true or not.

10. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    DI/DII Womens soccer allows for On-Time Transfer Exception (no sitting out for a year). From NCAA website:

One-time transfer exception: If you never have transferred from a four-year school, you may use a one- time exception to compete immediately at a Division I or II school.

To qualify for this exception, you must meet all the following conditions:

• You are in good academic standing and are making progress toward your degree at the school you are transferring from.

• You would have been considered academically eligible to compete had you stayed at the school you are transferring from.

• You have a written release agreement from your current school stating it does not object to you receiving a transfer exception.

QUESTION: Does the transfer portal mean a player no longer needs a written release agreement? (Sorry if this has already been answered).

11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Correct. Entering the transfer portal constitutes "permission to contact" for the student and any school out there that has access to the portal. The student can indicate "do not contact" in the portal if they have already chosen their college to transfer to and don't want to get emails. Eligibility is certified via the portal so they have to be in there even if they know the school they are transferring to. So no more paper at all. Once the new school certifies the student's eligibility, the student is marked as "matriculated" in the portal.

Regarding the year in residency exemptions, schools should be using the same policies they have always used for these. Typically, those are conference policies requiring in-conference transfers to sit out a year. In the portal, the student is labeled as "restricted" as an indication there are schools that the first school won't allow the residency exemption. But the student can still talk to anyone and those residency policies can be appealed and as someone noted, very many of those appeals are approved so the player can play right away.

12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Interesting that this article popped up in my news feed this weekend. Even though, as has been stated for women's soccer, restricted transfers are more rare than common and the majority of student appeals are won. The movement is certainly to make it easier to transfer and not harder. The "secondary recruiting market" mentioned in my original post is real. In the revenue sports, the term 'free agent market' is perhaps more appropriate.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-to-transfer-once-without-sitting-out-a-year/

13. iamdelgado

iamdelgado Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Another top BC player will be in the transfer portal soon

14. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    How can schools losing these numbers recruit? Do the club coaches not point out the numbers of kids leaving?

15. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    i dont believe this is true and even if it is, there are still existing 4yr scholarships on the books that cannot be changed

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  17. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    Our club did just that. My daughter was pretty high on one school in particular early on, and they seemed to really like her. All it took was for our clubs Executive Director to point out how many kids transfer out for her lose all interest. I haven't noticed that trend continuing with this school since he pointed it out (his comment made me curious) but it definitely influenced her opinion.

18. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I've said for years I'd like to see some kind of "retention ranking" for teams. As a way to determine how accurately they recruit and get kids to graduation. I just don't have the time to do it but you can easily track rosters now year over year over year for any given team. The Portal now makes these transfers very public though as every coach in the country can see it happening....and they never talk about this stuff ;)

I mentioned in an earlier post, "They Always have kids in the portal" is a phrase you hear around showcases now. I do think it's a bad sign to be one of those schools that always has kids in the portal, especially with a stable coach.

Coaching changes are a big factor though. Coach leaves = 5 kids in the portal within a week or so. Players wanted more power over their careers and they def have more now.

19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I think you have to check the stats of the players in the portal though before you jump to conclusions. I always look to see if a player makes a lateral move, a move up, or a move down (in terms of program success) before I judge it. A player at a power 5 school who does not play much and transfers to a lesser program, for example, makes sense. A back up GK transferring to another program makes a lot of sense. Notice that there are a lot of GK's in the portal. A player who did really well at a mid or lower level program transferring to a top program also makes sense. None of these scenarios would indicate a coaching or program issue, in my opinion. Just a player looking for a better fit in relation to their ability.

20. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Agree with this. Some schools get no credit for it and they should. Recruiting kids who fit well AND staying loyal to them for four years, getting them degrees is huge. After all, for the vast majority of kids, that is the goal.

ntxsage repped this.
  21. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Fact is, transfers have become very common. My sense is that a /large number/ of P5 schools have at least one player in the portal every year. Some transfers are lateral, for sure--but most transfers seem to be players who see that they are not going to play a lot and transfer down. There is a LOT of competition for playing time at P5 schools, and so why ride the pine (or stand on the sidelines) for much of your career if you can transfer to a school where you have a better chance of playing? The Arizona coach, who has seen a number of his players transfer out over the last year or two, was asked about it recently and he suggested that transfers were perfectly understandable. From the quotes I read, he seemed sanguine about it. He said that various players just realize that they aren't a fit with the school they signed with--not a fit in terms of playing time/playing style, culture of the team or school, relationship to coach, personality, etc.

It's very hard for any student-athlete to know how things might work out at a school until they get there and start playing, going to class, interacting with teammates, etc.--and even if the first year goes well, team personnel and dynamics change from year to year. There is competition from new players every year, and so a player who was getting 70 minutes a game might see her PT drop to 35. That can be jarring. Lots of factors at play.

22. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That would be absurd if the Arizona coach said that. If he did, that would be the kiss of death for any clubs Amato would try to recruit from, basically saying "I'll recruit your players, just know there is a good chance they may leave and have to do the process all over again". That type of public comment can't sit well with their AD Dave Heeke. It is YOUR job as a coach to find players that fit in well just not with your soccer team, but the university as a whole. Mention everything at the beginning and then both sides can determine if it's a good fit or not. I can understand 1-2 transfers in a given year, but the numbers for programs like Arizona, Rutgers, West Virginia, etc. are way over the top.

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see a big problem with what Amato said, it's true for a lot of schools. The thing that's changed is that transfers now are easier and apparently becoming more common. So far as the AD is concerned, Arizona has done quite well under Amato, which probably is what matters to the AD.

And, players having the ability to transfer more easily is good, in my opinion. A player wants to play, in the typical end of season meeting with the coach she may find out that next year she's not likely to get the playing time she wants, she may realize she's not happy with her school even though everyone (parents included) thought she would be, there are all sorts of reasons players might transfer these days.

And, from a coaching perspective, a new coach comes in (Amato arrived in 2013), is improving the program, and is able to attract better and better players. A player who was a good recruit in Year 1 or 2 or 3 might not be up to the level of the new players in Year 4 or 5 or 6. With about a 10% coaching turnover every year, and with an AD goal in most cases of the coach improving the program, this type of situation seems like what one would expect to happen if the coach is going to meet the AD's goal.

ytrs repped this.
  24. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    A few years ago my DD and I were in a coaches office and were told "We like to bring in 8-11 players per year because we lose 2-3 every year" because of transfers, not a good fit, just couldn't cut it to name a few reasons. That really floored me, but I appreciated the honesty.

25. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I'm on the side of this argument that thinks that is irresponsible. Coaches should be proud when they can win, create a positive team culture, and have few transfers. The first 2 things usually cause the 3rd. I think when you have 12-15 freshmen and 3-4 Seniors regularly, that's a big red flag. Coaches over recruit because they are hedging their bets, they are lazy, they don't want to really do their research and fully evaluate players so they bring in "enough" players to make sure a few good ones survive. I understand many are asked to generate applications/admits and some are at great popular schools and will say they are just 'giving kids a chance'. But, how many of them are conducting a full evaluation of the prospect and sharing their honest opinion with the player? It is interesting and also true that players don't often directly ask for that evaluation. Something like "what is my % chance of being in the lineup regularly in each of my 4 years?" Coaches have an answer to that question but do they share it with every player, are they accountable when their prediction is wrong, or do they find ways to place blame elsewhere? Some of the excuses about 'good fit' are appearing in this thread. Many good reasons to transfer but as I said, its the schools with 12-15 recruits becoming 3-4 Seniors that are concerning.

My point - a major cause of the high rate of transfers is poor or inaccurate recruiting and the head coach is ultimately responsible for a consistently high rate of transfer exports. The portal is now exposing a good number of them for all to see. Should be fun!

sokarcrazy repped this.