Transactions

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mdesimone1, Jul 29, 2002.

1. mdesimone1

mdesimone1 New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    California
    So what transactions will occur if Gazza is signed? Given information available to date, I am assuming Nelsen will be released or traded. Unfortunately he is a good player who I would like to see stay at DC United. How many times do we have to turn over the lineup before we have enough talent to win? Do we want a quick fix or a real solution? I think that a quick fix is out of the question.

2. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Nelsen's not going anywhere.

Marco & Reyes have green cards, so we only have two SIs on the books, Nelsen and Moreno. That leaves us with one oen SI slot.

We are reportedly trading a player to Columbus for the Discovery Pick.

3. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    I'm extremely puzzled by the persisting rumors that Nelsen will be traded. I could understand them earlier in the season, but at this point he;s got three things going in his favor, as I see it:

1) we're not in an SI pinch anymore. At least not until the end of the season, and I can't see keeping Chino instead of Nellie

2) He's one of or best performing players at the moment (at BOTH ends of the field, no less)

3) He's got to be our most improved player this year. More than anyone else on our team, he's out there, busting his butt, working hard, fighting til the end, and you can see the difference in his play.

oh and there might even be a 4th:

4) he's not very expensive (I'm not sure about this one, but I think he's still pretty cheap)

Why on earth would we trade him????????

4. Fniyonga

Fniyonga New Member

Jun 23, 2000
    DC
    I hope he's not going anywhere. He's a defender who's not afraid to socre at a time the offense seems to be hibernating.

5. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I am not sure that they are rumors.

They are opinions by un-connected fans.

Although in certain cases it is more of wishful thinking on the part of certain poster from the good state of Ohio.

They don't make sense for the very reasons you stated.

6. mdesimone1

mdesimone1 New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    California
    So who are we going to trade? I was "assuming" Nelsen just based on other posts. I am not trying to spread rumors or anything- its just a little harder to stay perfectly connected in a non-soccer city (Atlanta). I need to do a better job. Quite honestly I would be really disappointed if Nelse was traded.

7. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    All good points ... but what this means is that his trade value is high. We might actually be able to get something in return for him. For example, if Nelsen were offered straight up for Dante Washington, would United take him? Maybe. If it were Dante and Namoff for Washington and a Discovery pick, probably.

Chino is a local rec player phenom who made it to the home side. That alone makes him an unbelievable story. Rudy with skill. Plus the fact that the kid is totally loyal and does exactly what the coaches want, has a strong fan-following, can and will play any position except central defense, and is a minimal salary cap hit, makes him a very good guy to have on a small roster.

Nelsen is slow at positions where lack of pace can destroy you, central defense and Dmid. Most good defenders can use positioning to offset that, but it's still a concern. Nelsen will require a significantly larger contract next cycle. Eliseo will eventually be an SI (but we don't know what SI's will still be here by then).

I wouldn't bet on it, but I sure wouldn't be suprised to see Nelsen traded either.

-Tron

8. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Its Namoff for the Discovery slot, straight up, no Dante, no Nelsen.

Why would DC trade Nelsen? We only have 5 defenders now (1 being an injured Pope, 1 being McKinley).

Trading Nelsen would weaken our backline too drastically.

Yes Columbus needs defensive help, but they aren't going to get it from DC who has a lack of defenders.

9. Fniyonga

Fniyonga New Member

Jun 23, 2000
    DC
  10. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    *insert here rant from irate Columbus fan about how MLS head honchos derive a perverse pleasure from keeping this spunky Midwest team down*