traditional cleat vs blades

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by Twilliger, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twilliger

Twilliger New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Empty search on this topic so here is the question.

In FG boots, most new ones use a bladed cleat configuration (preds,vapor, f50s), rather than the traditional circle type (copa, king etc). I have only worn the traditional type, but am wondering if people notice a difference in traction, turning, planting etc with the bladed type.

Thanks for the feedback.

2. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    If I'm not mistaken, the main reason for going to bladed versus conical studs was to relieve stud pressure on the player's feet. I have worn both, and find the bladed studs a little more comfortable over long matches/training sessions, and in hot weather. I can't say I notice a big difference in performance.

3. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    Yes, it's all about stud pressure. I also noticed that my feet don't ache that much after a long play with blades.

4. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I also had similar results when I switched from studs to blades. Feet hurt a LOT less.

5. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Also, if you wear your studded cleats for a long time, the studs start to wear out and get shorter and shorter. You then have yourself a new pair of indoor boots! ;) :D

6. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    I'll agree with stud pressure. maybe its just me, but i realsie my fg blades have better traction and balance than my studs.

7. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    In terms of FG studs I found absolutely no difference in stud pressure. I only noticed that in SG studs.

For both types of boots (SG and FG) I found blades gave better grip than normal studs.

8. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    I love blades, but I think going by traction alone, studs are superior.

9. rkuchinsky

rkuchinsky New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    has anyone had issues with knee or other injuries with blades? I have heard reports of many pros and trainers suggesting to go back to conical studs because in some cases the blades give TOO much traction.

any thoughts?

10. Skizz

Skizz Guest

In the REALLY hot weather we have been having we had a training session yesterday and I wore my Vapors (1st series). I turned sharply to get the ball and slipped really badly. I've now torn a groin muscle and will miss the start of the season :mad: . I think companies need to think more about how to gain better grip on extremely hard surfaces - we normally have our training pitches watered because of this problem and the only reason I can think of behind me hitting the deck so hard was that they didnt get watered before we trained.

Apart from that blades are cool - however with relation to adidas blades Craig Bellamy told my cousin he switched to Vapors because the adidas blades and fit were cr@p - can't really repeat what else he said because he went into a 20 minute rant about it :confused:

bigg skizzle

PS - Score 1 for the Nike team lol

11. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Big skizz:

lol, have you met any of ur cousin's teammates - cause Craig wouldn't be top of my list to meet, cause i'd be scared i'd be cr@pped on, is he always moody? :D

An btw, any chance of ur cuz moving closer to you and playing for ur favourite club? lol, i'm not expoecting an answer, just joking! ;)

Back on topic, i've only latyely worn blade boots like F50+, Vapours an Manias, but i recently purchased some azt iii and copas, so i'll check if i notice any differances.

12. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Yeah he should be moving down here soon because he's been talking to Arsenal all last week :eek: shouldn't have said that. I have met a few of them, funnily enough they're just normal people - I once played Pro Evolution Soccer with him, Kieron Dyer, Jermaine Pennant, Jay Bothroyd and Titus Bramble. Seriously, they are good at it because they play it on the Newcastle coach on away trips (Dyer, JJ and Bramble). I still beat them tho lol :cool:

bigg skizzle

13. ziggaman17

ziggaman17 New Member

May 16, 2005

companies do think about grip on hard surfaces, thats why they have FG and HG. and if you are playing on "extremely hard surface" it is probably not a very smart idea to be wearing Firm Grounds. maybe instead wear some turfs or HG cletas which have more and shorter studs so u dont slip as much like you did....

14. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Ok, first up I did say that normally they water the pitch so it is softer and I did not know that it hadn't been watered - that was why I slipped. On top of that, HG Vapors have the same stud layout as FG except they are conjoined - at the end of the day if a surface is going to cause you to fall over, you are going to fall over. I wear Vapors in training because I play in them, whats the point of wearing two different sets of boots considering you will be playing in one pair of boots??

bigg skizzle

15. ziggaman17

ziggaman17 New Member

May 16, 2005
    lol im sorry man, i was just trying to give u a little suggestion. and also its not that bad of an idea i think to have two differnet pairs of cletas for trainings and games. i mean if you were acutlaly good at soccer, wearing differnet cleats in prac. and games shouldnt really affect your performance too much...

16. Skizz

Skizz Guest

If I was actually good at soccer...you make me laugh man. What I mean is, wearing (for example) Pulses in training and Vapors for matches, there is going to be a big difference between the two, especially if they are new boots. I have never done it, Crewe Alexandra never recommended doing it when I played for them, and I think if you want to do it thats fine but since I have been taught not to do it since I was doing YTS at the age of 11 I'm not exactly going to change overnight.

bigg skizzle

17. ziggaman17

ziggaman17 New Member

May 16, 2005
    thats fine wiht me dude lol. people have differnet ways to do it. but i just wanted to say that its only cleats. your soccer skills is totally depended on yourself, not the cleats you wear. im sure top pros like ronaldinho and kaka and others wont be bad if they wore some nomis for practice, and whatever they wear to games.

18. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    hey u played for Crewe? cool man... a number hope talented guys came from there, like seth johnson?

19. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Yeah I played in the same youth team as Rob Hulse (Leeds United), David Wright (Wigan Athletic) and Dean Ashton (Norwich City).

bigg skizzle

20. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Ok man, whatever.

bigg skizzle

21. Decency

Decency Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It's personal preference although I think conical studs on soft ground and plastic mouldies or blades on artificial or firm surfaces. Most plastic blades are ok apart from the nike t90s/adidas adipower. The heel blades on those two are massive and really bad for going over your ankle (yet again my opinion). Your better sticking to what you prefer.

22. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This thread has not had ANY comments on it for SEVEN years! Please don't comment on old threads it just cloggs up the board and answers questions nobody cares about anymore.

THREAD CLOSED!

appleCORR