Trader Mo Suggestions

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by JoeW, Nov 20, 2007.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    First, I had a chance to bump into Mo at National Airport in DC after the MLS Cup. Nice guy, very friendly and represents your club well. I wished TFC well (except of course when you play DCU).

Second, here's my advice for Trade MO for the immediate future. You've stockpiled some draft picks. You could use a better GK and some more good, cheap Canadian players. Propose to San Jose that they choose Onstad from Houston and Harmse from LAG. They trade you Onstad and Harmse and promise to take no-one from your expansion list (which means you rish of losing Boyens who's worth keeping). You give up a #1 and #2 round pick. It's a bit to overpay for a 40 year old keeper and a okay but not great youngster. But you've got plenty of draft picks. This gives you a great keeper. Harmse will be a better field player than any other Canadian you currently have other than Brennan. And I really think that regardless of the SI and domestic player changes, a Canadian player needs to have some Canadians on the field. If nothing else, a fantastic fan base deserves something more than a bunch of hired guns (ala NASL).

2. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Re: Trade Mo Suggestions

I would like to see MOJO for another season at the least. It was a new franchise and no one expected much from Toronto. So, i hope he stays for at least one more year. I was upset when Alecko Eskandarian left though. Really liked him.

3. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA

Actually folks, Alecko is out of contract. TFC could probably acquire him for next to nothing from RSL (you'd be trading for his rights) and the renegotiate a new contract with him. Unless there is a new development, it's not clear that he's in RSL's plans for 2008.

And btw, I typed in my thread title incorrectly. It was meant to read "TradeR Mo" (ie: missing "R"). I didn't mean you should get read of Mojo, only that he's shown a propensity for "the deal" and here were some I think he's got a shot at.

4. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Harmse I am not to keen on, never seen why people think he is good player but Pat I would like to see come. I don't know what Sutton situation is right now with his head troubles. If he was fit then I would give him a run out next season to prove his worth because he played at a time where we were at the worst defending wise and he did well IMO. Onstad would be great to have but I think there is a few more position which need to improve on a bit more (like playmaking).

5. ChrisLav

ChrisLav New Member

Mar 5, 2007

From the TFC Jack Astors events, read that Sutton said he's training already. So in theory at least, he should be good to go for next year.

6. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Ramon Nunez might be an upgrade on the left wing if it doesn't cost us alot...

7. TheFalcon

TheFalcon Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Mississauga
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Mo's biggest mistake last year was not bringing back some of the Canadians that played in Scandavia. Specifically i'm thinking of Issey Nakajima-Farran and Ali Gerba.

Issey was out of contract (if I recall) and most likely could have been brought home. He's a personal favourite of mine on the Canadian national team and he can play both left and right wings as well as up front.

Gerba was in limbo with his club IFK Göteborg in Sweden and most likely could have been picked up on the cheap but from conversations i've had with other people it seems that Mo doesn't rate Mr. Gerba. He's perhaps our 4th best striker for the Nats (Friend, Occean, Hume) and again he's within our price range. Once again we could have had a serviceable Canadian brought back home but because Mo doesn't rate him for whatever reason we didn't pick him up which is disappointing.

Also, please don't bring Onstad back. He's 40. We aren't winning the MLS cup next year, thus we might as well see how we can do with the current goalkeeping mix (Kenny and Sutton) Onstad is a fantastic MLS goalie but he's not a longterm player.

8. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA

There are lots of good reasons NOT to trade for Onstad. But here's my thinking...

1. The initial year of an expansion team is really tough. The fans come in with a lot of enthusiasm and then get splashed in the face with the reality of a first-year club (some of which are worse than others: Miami Fusion anyone?). Despite the incredible fan support displayed by the TFC faithful, it's not wise to take that support for granted. I think it's important to send a message to the fans "yes: we are doing the best we can to field a winning team." Getting Onstad does send part of that message.

2. The East will be in flux. The word is that Dorman is definitely gone from NE. Parkhurst is supposed to be moving overseas as well. NE has been usually reluctant to spring on new players and there is only so much that Twellman and Joseph can carry. DCU could be very good--or we could lose Moreno and Gomez and some foreign team goes after Emilio in which case we're rebuilding the team chemistry and roles completely. NYRB--who knows where they end up? Depends on the coach but I'd not be shocked if they retain only 7-9 players currently on their roster (and one of them is almost certainly going to be Reyna who isn't getting any healthier). Chicago and Columbus are wildcards--many of the pieces are in place but they still have holes as a team.

Can TFC "win" the East next year? I doubt it--h*ll would have to freeze over. But you don't have to win the East. You just need to make the playoffs. And that is a realistic goal for your team. B/c once you make the playoffs, all you need to do is win a minimum of 2 games to make the MLS Cup. Winning in the playoffs is about who is hot and healthy at the end of the season.

So if you buy that scenario for year 2 (ie: let's aim to be one of the top 8 teams out of the 14 in MLS and then we'll see how the crapshoot that is the playoffs turns out) than getting Onstand is a smart move. He probably has 2-3 more years of strong play in him. Furthermore, his strength as never been as a Hartman or Rimando-type shot stopper. His strength is as an organizer of the defense. Which not only helps your team a lot but than makes it easier for you to push Brennan to outside midfield. So, my question is this: what would it take for TFC to be among the top 8 (out of 14) teams in MLS--how far are you from finishing ahead of 6 other sides?

Oh--one other thought. If by some means you managed to get homefield advantage for the playoffs (or the higher seed loses in the first round so you could play 2 games at BMO), than your regular season games would (by comparison) seem like a retirement home. Seriously, BMO would be shaking for a playoff match--the homefield advantage for you guys would be immense--your stadium would be a wall of sound that would give you an incredible advantage in the playoffs. Especially if you then add in some unseasonably cold weather and played say....LAG?

3. You've got a ton of draft picks this draft. That's good--you can draft some cheap, young talent some of which will contribute now and others will hopefully contribute down the road. But if you gave up a #1 and a #2 to get Onstad and Harmse, you do a couple of things.
    --you still have beaucoup draft picks to add youth
    --you added a strong veteran in goal and a youthful veteran in midfield, both of whom are Canadian
    --you improved your ability to be a contender for a playoff spot. Now you'd also need to stay healthy, add an impact DP player, and shuffle 2-3 other players you give you major minutes last season and then add some depth through the draft. But those things are do-able.

4. Yeah, Sutton is a good GK. But he's not at Onstad's level and he's not close to one of the top 4-5 GKs in the league. Furthermore, concussion syndrome is touchy stuff. Josh Gros with DCU is retiring b/c of it. Chad Marshall's career is in danger b/c of it. Alecko Eskandarian lost a year of his career to it. If you had a GK trio of Onstad, Sutton and Stamatopoulus, you'd be in great shape. With Sutton you'd have one of the best #2 GKs in the league and not playing every game would reduce the chances of another concussion in the next year or two (which is critical from what I understanding--once you've suffered from head injury, you're especially susceptible to another in the short-term).

9. mikey99

mikey99 Member

May 15, 2007

I spoke with Sutton at the TFC event at Jacks.
    He stated that he was 100% and starting on getting fitness back already.

If we did get Onstad with Sutton, we could probably also acquire Reynolds who looked solid for the few games he played for us.
    It looks as if Stamo will not be with us next season, due to the amount od money Tromso want for him, and potential interest from other european clubs.

10. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Only upside with Issey is that he's Canadian. Other than that, he's just another Andy Welsh. He gives it his all, but he's just not talented enough technically to get a starting role in TFC IMO.
    I think Gerba would make a decent sub and give depth. His strike rate is decent, but his finishing needs to improve. Athletic enough up front from what I've seen and considering TFC's style of ball movement, might get enough room up front to be of some danger.
    I think Kenny is not coming back, and unless Mo finds another goalie somewhere, someone else needs to play with Sutton. Onstad is old, but he's still got at least one more year left in him. He's not a long term solution for sure, but at least he buys time for Mo to find an another goalie, as well as give TFC a lift in goalkeeper department without spending an SI

11. DigzTFC

DigzTFC Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Halifax

It will be interesting to see what Mo does because we're are still an awful team and are not improving with the rest of the league. If Mo started this team 4 years ago we would have been competitive, but the talent level is getting better and we're showing up with USL players.

Guys I would like to Draft:

#9. O'Brian White (Conneticut)
    #14. Omar Gonzalez (Maryland)
    3rd Round. Daniel Revivo

To be honest, there aren't any players in the MLS that I would like to trade for. Everytime we trade with Mo, unless its ridiculous like Marvel Wynne, we trade crap for crap. We need to recruit with a vengence a clear house. Cunningham must go as he is one injury away from being finished. I hope to god Robbo took a paycut as does Marshall. We have some serious holes to plug. Outside Brennan, Wynne, Edu, O'Brien and Dichio I don't know who else I would keep on this team.