Trade rumor re: Pablo M (?RC)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Coach_Barry, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Rapids website:

Equally talented as both a central defender and holding midfielder, Mastroeni has the ability to single-handedly break up an opposition attack with his pace and strength in tackle. He is also one of the league’s best at starting an attack after winning the ball thanks to his incredible work rate. He is undoubtedly one of the Rapids’ most vocal leaders both on and off the field

3. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    hey, on september 18th, pablo....how'd that work out for ya?
    :D

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumor in the early part of the season (which was vehemently denied by Joe Cummings), was that the Revs had offered Joe-Max (and possibly something else like a 2nd round pick) for Mastroeni. Of course, that was just before JMM got hurt, and before Avery John joined the team.

He would be a good pickup, and I would take him in a heartbeat, depending on who we would have to give up. The Rapids had trouble scoring last year, and with Spencer retiring, they will definitely need even more help there. They would probably like the idea of Noonan, and depending on what else we offered, it could work. Cancela's name also comes up, but I wouldn't give them both. Supposedly it was for 2Ms and a F, so Noonan could be one, and perhaps Baker or Brillant and someone else, maybe a developmental player?

For every deal that gets made, there are 1,000 that don't. You have to match up a lot of things, such as positional needs, salaries, foreign status, etc. Certainly it's easier to make a deal like this now than during the season, but I think it's safe to say that the Revs are at least returning phone calls and are open to listening...

But a Pablo-Noonan+ swap would help us shore up the D, and put Dempsey in front with Twellman. We would still need a left-sided MF, but the defensive end of things would be vastly improved.

For Pablo and Chung, woudl you give up Noonan, Cancela and Baker/Brillant and a 2nd round pick?

Tom

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it hard to see Colorado making any moves without a GM AND coach. The closest they have to a GM is a Technical Director (Marcelo Balboa). We don't need Masto, that would be 4 players who could play the D-mid position (Mastroleni, Joseph, Dempsey, and Dorman). Any move that would be made would most likely result in Mastroleni being shipped else where for someone else. (In other words, his stay would be shorter then that of Peter Nowak)

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I don't think Colorado is getting a GM. Governor Charlie Wright and Balboa have split the job different from what most teams are doing. Trittschuh may already be the unannounced new coach. If so, then a trade could happen now.

7. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Yup.

If Mastroeni were brought in, it would be to play center back. He was devastating in that position for Fusion (R.I.P.) Imagine this:

Reis

Discovery/Heaps Mastroeni Allocation/John

Ralston Joseph Dorman Chung

Twellman Dempsey

The only problem would be that no one else would remain except Franchino, Llamosa, and Brown.

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, well that reassures me that Mastro would be a good fit.

Let me ask all of you a question then.

Does this talk suprise you, especially after Pierce got picked?

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, Balboa is basically in charge of personnel at this point. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Balboa hand picks the coach and retains the power to make team management decisions while leaving the day to day coaching to someone else.

Think Tampa, back before they sucked, Rongen was coaching, but he wasn't making personnel decisions.

10. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... not gonna hold my breath on this one.

11. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Why would NE want Pablo when they have Sharlie Joseph, the slight difference in ability is far outweighed by the difference in salaries. With NE very likely to lose Twellman to Germany I also can't see them parting with Noonan, even if Twellman weren't leaving I can't see NE trading the top scorer in the league when he's only 23-24 years old. The only thing NE has to offer is one of their GK's and NO one in MLS would be an improvemnet over Cannon. Hard to see and deal between NE and Colorado involving Pablo.

Perhaps a three way deal?

12. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Has there been an update to what has been reported, or is this what you think?

Also, I think Pablo knows he has a future in the Nats as a DM, and I am sure that will be the position he will want to play for his club. I wouldn't assume at all that the Revs would try and get him and drop him into a central back position. And I'm not sold that they should move Shalrie to a center back either.

Again, the Revs have some serious roster decisions and player roles to really sort out before the start of next year. Pablo, IMO, is not the answer.

13. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I don't think it's such a bad thing to play a different spot on your club team than on the nats- JOB, Reyna for example. I could see Pablo playing in a Rio Ferdinand-type role where he uses his vision and distributing skills to get attacks going from the middle of the back, and that role wouldn't be such a far cry from d-mid.

14. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Many of the Colorado fans in their thread have talked of Pablo's lack of good distribution skills, so I doubt it.

15. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I don't watch colorado games that aren't vs. the revs, but he's been decent at starting attacks for the nats.

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may not be the place to float this idea but maybe--just maybe--SN et al are looking at doing a major restructuring of the Revs roster. Right now we are all talking of filling holes in the back line. But if SN was to consider trading Noonan and two midfielders for Pablo we are then talking BIG TIME changes to the roster. My gut says that SN does not want to make major changes to his lineup from 04 but knows that in order to not repeat the poor record of this season he needs not only to get rid of old, oft-injured legs but get some new blood with skill--AND--SPEED.

17. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Twellman, the only news I've heard is that German clubs, mainly Hertha BSC, are looking to acquire his services. No news if any bid have been made or recieved, or if Twellman even wants to go.

Mastroleni has been criticized for his distribution skills. All I have to say is that your defensive mid/center back shouldn't be your main focal point for your attack. When he isn't the main focus I think he can do well in distribution, just watch the last US game.

18. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    This rumor is ridiculous from so many angles. Maybe the man with the (apparently) most difficult name to pronounce in American soccer, wants to up sticks. But so what? It doesn't mean anyone in your front office would be so goofy as to offer up Noonan (not to mention other players, maybe picks) in exchange. Forget the whole thing. Joseph is one of the best destroyers in this league. No need to bring in Pablo. And if you want to bring him in as a center half, then you've got a screw loose (OK, not really, I would never want to disparage any BS poster). You're probably doing just fine for yourself.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I read recently that Pablo doesn't want to play CD anymore, but concentrate on D-Mid, his position with the USMNT.

Personally, I'd offer Noonan to Dallas for Clarence Goodson. Goodson is a guy SN had his eye on last Superdraft, and Noonan would do well partnering with EJ.

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I'd love to have Mastroeni on the Revs roster in 2005, and there are some players with fair trade value we could bundle to get him. However, if... IF Cancela were to be part of such a deal -- if I were the Revs -- I'd make damn sure that there's an immediate, and better replacement waiting to be signed.

We could then have:

GK: Reis
    RB: Heaps
    CB: Mastroeni
    LB: John
    DM: Joseph
    DM: Dempsey
    RM: Ralston
    CM: (Player to be named later)
    LM: Franchino?
    FW: Twellman
    FW: Noonan

Thoughts?

The Magpie

21. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Evan, are you going for a straight up Masto for Cancela deal? If a deal with Colorado were to happen, I'd like to see if they could get Chung in the deal and offer Brillant, Cancela, and JMM. The only ugly part of the deal is the contract on Moore, although the value of the trade should be equal (contract wise). Moore shouldn't make what he is making now, (not taking anything away from him but after being injured for two years no team would [and should] not take him with a league max salaray). That would plug up the left mid postition and we could look to the draft for depth on the bench.

Lineup as followed
    --------------------Reis
    Heaps - Mastroleni - John - Franchino/Leonard
    ---------Ralston - Joseph - Chung
    -----------------Dempsey
    --------------Noonan - Twellman

Dempsey would play more of a withdrawn forward position. They wouldn't need much creative spark out of him because they have Ralston and Chung on the wings to provide that as well.

22. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone care to share why we'd want a 34 (35 mid-next season) year old slowing down Mark Chung?

23. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding speed, what was the last people heard of Jeremiah White?

24. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Last I heard White was playing in Greece for Panserraikos FC (2nd Division).

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Gawd, if Cancela is all we'd have to give up for Pablo... I'd love to see that, but I'd seriously doubt that Colorado would let Pablo go in a straight swap for Cancela. Quite frankly, Colorado has to know they can get more for Mastroeni than just one player, so if they could command an extra player or two as part of any deal, why let him go for just Cancela.

However, as I said before, if Cancela were part of any deal for Mastroeni, I'd hope that the Revs have a replacement of equal, if not greater value available to them, and I'd really see that as something of a necessity of they were to consider letting Cancela go.

As for Chung, I'd love to seem him as well, especially considering the Revolution's need for a good left-side midfielder, but I'd suspect the Rapids would be even less inclined to let him go.

Doesn't mean I don't like your line-up :)