Trade offer for Pablo

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Nov 22, 2004.

1. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    They have Lisi and Clark to go with Guevera in the middle, but were trying to get Armas.

JMM has one of the worst cap values in the league until healthy (big "until").

Rapids don't need any more speed. There's plenty of untalented speed on the club. (foreign contigent). Brillant won't be good enough next year. Cancela had a so-so year. Would be a very bad trade. Noonan and Dorman would be tempting.

Metrostars I'd talk to.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I would be surprised if this deal goes down before a coach and a GM are hired. I mean, Pablo is arguably the Rapids best and most valuable, in terms of trade value, player and I would think the new regime would want input both in whether he stays and what they could get for him if he's moved.

Trading him before hiring a coach and a GM would be foolish, IMO.

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Maybe the Crew offer up Cunningham, Elliott and Paule for Pablo.

4. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Seth Trembly? :)

Seriously though....I am not opposed to us trading Pablo, as he's either with the Nats or injured entirely too much (esp. with the World Cup starting to gear up again).

I wonder if the league is encouraging us do this as payback for wanting to cut a whole load of SIs from the roster with the expectation that we might actually get some new SI's next year. The league intervenes WAY too much into these types of deals, so I would always wonder the motivation.

But if we could get three solid (and not 40 years old) players out of it, it might not be a bad deal.

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea if Pablo and Balboa aren't exactly on the best of terms? I'm just wondering if it's possible that the Rapids would be considering this given Balboa's new GM (soccer side) role with the Rapids.

I see Pablo as a building block for this club. Trading him would really mean serious rebuilding (and let's face it, we may have to do that...)

6. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    May?

7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really kind of ambivalent about this. On the one hand I thought Pablo did better this year then last. I'd like to see him on the post-Hank team. On the other I can't blame everything on Hankinson. Pablo's the guy who got the cards for really questionable fouls, which really irks me.

We're rebuilding at this point no matter what. Our defensive core is the true cornerstone for rebuilding, and Pablo hasn't always been a part of that.

It all depends on what's being offered, I guess.

8. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Not Rico. Pick someone esle. As for the forwards let them have Taylor. He is on loan and Glenn is under contract.

Unless you can get them to take Galvan Rey. Wow that would be great.

9. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry man, Ross Paule has WAY too many health issues for us to take him seriously.

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Alright then; Cunningham, Elliott, and Eric Denton...

11. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Yes, I missed the part where you mentioned "quality talent." Everyone in this thread did. What I was responding to was the following:
    It sure sounds to me like you're saying that he's incapable of generating offense regardless who he's playing with. That it's easy to overlook this inability when he's got extraordinary players around him.

No, I don't think that makes sense. Forwards make runs all the time, but the man with the ball is required to time his release, weight it properly and put it into the proper path. Pablo's ball made something happen for EJ.

Furthermore, just who "surrounded" Pablo in this game? Donovan and McBride, sure. Sanneh, perhaps. Bu do you really consider Ralston, Corrales, Johnson, Albirght, Onyewu and Gibbs to be "extraordinary" players?

I'll agree that Pablo isn't about to dribble circles around opponents, but claiming he can't create a chance with a pass is ignorance in the face of evidence. Pablo is a defensive midfielder. Just how often do you see the likes of Viera and Keane dancing through the opposition, shuttling blind through balls and hitting 30-yard crackers just inside the post?

12. bilfish

bilfish New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Golden, CO
    To change the focus....

In (my)
    American Soccer News article Pablo says...

So, Mastroeni wants to be a defensive midfieler, period. He also says he's in his prime. And, he was named man of the match for the US Nat's.

And he's made no secret that his goal is an EPL side.

And people are nitpicking? This guy is amazingly valuable on a number of levels.

To think he can be traded willy-nilly implies:
    1. He won't be healthy
    2. He won't make it to Europe
    3. He won't be worth much in a trade
    4. He wouldn't be the centerpiece of the Rapids next year

Huh>>> I think 3:1 is fair, and it needs to be a good three.

I'm still betting on Chicago.

Cheers,

BilFish

13. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But, what 3 from Chicago?

14. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    We'll give you Brian Kamler, Chris Brown, and Erick Scott for Pablo.

15. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    anybody else want to offer their worst 3 (or overpriced) players for this USMNT starter?

16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    From DC. David Stokes, Ryan Nelsen and Earnie Stewart.

Thx,

Jay!

17. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Metro would be well off to make a trade, but I'd prefer not with Rico.
    The Metros are weak at Centerback, where Mastroeni plays well too.
    I could see a trade of Vaca, SGR, and Lisi or Magee?
    SGR would be worth it to you because he'd always score against us, and it seems the Rapids could use some more players in those positions, especially if Spencer is departing.

18. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over on the ussocceruk forums Chris Bergin states that Richardo Clark is in England as of this week training with Wigan Athletic, I believe. He goes on to say that the team is trying to get him qualified to play in a reserve match. This implies that a loan deal has been worked out or he's out of contract and moving over there or being sold. MLS hasn't stated any of the above but if any are true I'd rather not see the Rapids trade for him.

19. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. We will trade Noonan for Mastro straight up for sure.

20. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Greenie ... it's my OPINION (and we disagree) that Pablo can't generate offense. I don't think he's a good passer ... and just because he made one good pass ... doesn't qualify him to me.

Yes, he's an outstanding defensive midfielder (when he doesn't take dumb fouls and cards) ... but unless you have another player in the middle of the park for him to give the ball too ... he's not much use there and we'd be better off with two two-way players.

I feel his game is one dimensional. Looking at him statisically, he's got 5 assists in 50 games with the Rapids. And MLS records 2nd assists. Granted this season he was in on the backline 1/2 the season, but still ... where is this wonderful offensive skill? One pass to EJ? Your whole counter point centered on one game!

What about his two seasons in the midfield with John Spencer? How many assists did Pablo have in 2003 when Spencer had 14 and Chung 11? Two! Or CC, Chung, Hendo, or Spenny's combined 38 in 2002? Three! Remember ... MLS has second assists ... so even if he got the ball to Valderama in 2002 ... and Carlos assisted (which he did 16 times) ... Pablo would have had an assist. I mean that's most likely how Palacios had six!

Maybe he's got it in him ... maybe Hanki was holding him back ... but I still feel, that over the course of a season, unless he has a good offensive midfield partner ... he's no good there and the Rapids will ramain a team that cannot generate offense from the midfield.

The way I see it ... while Pablo is an outstanding defensive midfielder ... it's more like having a defender in the middle of the park that is going to help the US national team shut down top World Class offenses so the likes of World Class players like DMB, Donevan, and Reyna can keep more offensive minded. But when that guy is the center of your MLS team's midfield ... you're going to get what we got ... a midfield that doesn't generate offense and a team that sits back and trys to counter instead of maintaining possession and offensive pressure.

21. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Looking at all the teams, I'd say the Metros have the most to offer and also have the biggest need for a Mastro like player. Something like:

Magee/Glen/Taylor, Clark, and Lisi

22. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    In my opinion, I think that Pablo is capable, very capable, of generating office through passing. In fact I think he plays one of the best long balls by any United States player. What is unfair is to lay all of the Rapids' past attacking woes on one of the midfielders when we have, supposedly, 4 of them. What makes me angry is that with the "style" that hanki was running he was obviously doing more defending than playing. There is no way that Pablo was set free to create when he's too busy constantyl breaking up the opponent's attack (basically because the entire 10 man outfield team weren't coached to hold possesion of any kind).

23. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Honestly I see no reason why management would want to trade Pablo in the first case unless they feel they can get something of equal value for him, i.e. an offensive midfielder /or a forward.

With regards to NE, I don't think they can offer anything to Colorado to get him.
    With Twellman, supposedly leaving for Berlin, Noonan is definitley not going anywhere. Neither is Ralston, Joseph, and Heaps.

Those are the players the Rapids would trade for.

I think if the Rapids even trade their franchise player, the Metros or the Fire are the teams that can offer something that would be of great value.
    Examples;
    Metro deal
    Rapids give up Pablo for Joselito Vaca and either Wolyneic or Magee.

Fire deal
    Rapids give up Pablo for Dipsy Selolwane (good catch), and either a draft pick or Nate Jaqua.

24. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I disagree with the long ball part ... but everything you else said was very fair. :)

25. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    I should clarify a little. He plays inch perfect long passes with the national team, guys that are running a little better than just checking back. He really doesn't seem to get much of a chance to play those balls with the Rapids.