trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I don't know why Leitch feels like he needs to be so distant from us, the fans. Just come out and level with us...let us know where things stand, what his plan is. We're a small team, fans already know he has a tough job...it's hard to build a challenger when you're in cost cutting mode (which I don't expect him to acknowledge of course), he could just say guys, I'm trying, I'll continue to try, we're still hopeful for '26. It may take a little longer to find that right CAM, etc.

We're too small of a team for our GM to have no relationship at all with the fans.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Most players 35 and over are way too old for DP money,

If Vela, sells tickets, scores a few goals and wins us some games, it may be worth it for the next 6-7 months though....

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    He already told us! "You're always looking for one or two players". There you go! :)

Quakes05 repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you're saying and that could be true, but it's not a *random* guy... from his bio:
    Reportera de ESPN Digital

5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    agreed. I think @Beerking was right, this was a move to sell tickets, might've even brought @Kaitlyn back to PPP (which I really hope happens anyway)...

...and he probably would've made us better this year, assuming he could stay healthy and his heart was in it. But that ship has sailed, sounds like.

Beerking repped this.
  6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, but also sounds like 2nd or 3rd hand information from "a person close to the player".

xbhaskarx and Beerking repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't think it was a move to sell tickets. That would be a nice bonus but I don't think that was the intent. More like a nice bonus. Otherwise they would have signed him a long time ago because possibly better younger prospects like Muñoz are not going to sell tickets directly. Maybe if you start winning a lot, but very few would know who he is.

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I'm trying to be a little more positive today because its gameday, but seriously...

"There’s always another addition,” Leitch said by phone Thursday. “Everyone always says, ‘there’s another player coming,’ or, ‘two players coming,’ or they don’t say anything at all. Depends on who you ask.”

wth. :cautious:

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, that's what I was referring to. CL going hardcore poker face there.

10. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    what do you think he was trying to do? Vela is a big Mexican star, I think local Mexican fans would've come out in big numbers to see him.

chris thebassplayer and Kaitlyn repped this.
  11. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    why do you suppose he thinks he needs to be so vague, evasive and distant with our fans? his marching orders? he's been there so long he knows its better not to promise too much?

feels like he's our GM in hiding most of the time.

Beerking repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think CL's motivation is about 95% about the on-field stuff. That's his job. He's not on the business side of the house. Those days of GM's doing both are long gone. That said, like I said, it's a nice bonus and I'm sure Jared would be really happy if it happened. But like I (also) said if it was about the business, we would have made the move months ago instead of (presumably) trolling around Argentina and Europe for good young players.

don gagliardi repped this.
  13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    so he really thought Vela fit with our lofty ambitions for 2026?

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Luchi has been the front-facing guy for the technical side of the house, and he's been pretty available and forthcoming. And he's been open about what we're trying to do. That's probably the way CL prefers it for whatever reason.

Quakes05 repped this.
  15. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexican fans would turn out to see Vela like they did Missael. Just like El Salvadorians turned out for Cerritos and Diaz Arce and left when they did. Same early 00 with the Iranian/Asian population for Azizi.

chris thebassplayer and Quakes05 repped this.
  16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could fit our frame work to get a solid foundation in place, then have his successor somewhere, ready to replace him when the time comes into an already oiled machine.

You get someone like Vela with a pedigree, it could also attract other names to come because his reputation is very high among the international footballers.

chris thebassplayer, Quakes05 and JazzyJ repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not necessarily, but like I've said, a Vela signing for say 1 year doesn't preclude signing another great CM in 2025, i.e. it doesn't necessarily kill 2026.

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And Asian fans flocked to see the Georgians. :)

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Right and he could also be a good mentor for the younger players. Imagine how a young player like Cruz Medina would like to be training with Vela.

20. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes me sooooooooooooooooooo horny

[​IMG]

21. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That too

22. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Above all else, it is such a gift and blessing to see someone like Vela, even in the twilight in our Quakes jersey. He is a guy who isn't cocky about soccer at all and doesn't put his ego above the team and the game. I think his numbers are better with Bouanga, but its the small things and things he does off the ball that help the team more than anything. Him on the field, would open up the lanes for Espinoza and company, you can't double mark Espinoza, Vela, and our CF. So someone is going to have an open field to play with, unless teams play zone to contain.

Appreciate what you see, because what you see, won't be forever. For any of the greats of the game. Set all the press and peoples stan-ism aside, and appreciate the small things for what they are.

I will lean 100% into the we WILL contend with Vela, and without I'm still 55/45 low playoffs, wild card or bull shit

chris thebassplayer repped this.
  23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    lol sorry Leitch couldn’t make your fantasy happen. Maybe Chicharito is still available. :)

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now add the belly

25. xbhaskarx