trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Oh yes, absolutely. For me though, a bit before my time as a Quakes fan. But he was really good, like ERo. Those would be my 2 best ever Quakes defenders.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conrad played right back for us other wise I would have included him, but Conrad was the heart of a Quake through n through. I love JimmyC.

I would personally like to see Hedges come here and elevate the game of Rodrigues and or Nathan, bringing a calming presence in the back could be an Agoos type acquisition. Him, Long or any of the CBs available would do that. Personally I'd rather see Rodrigues and Hedges/Long for us.

davez repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It appears Matt Hedges is from Rochester. Could be a Bills fan. :)

Kaitlyn repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    You wish! What I read is that he was born in Rochester, but moved in early childhood and spent his school years in Indiana (including high school and some college). If anything probably a Colts fan...

5. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    my bad, I thought he had some spot starts in the middle. I forgot Frank traded him to KC in 2003…he played CB there and with the Nats in the 2006 WC.

I’d much rather have Long but I agree Hedges would be a significant upgrade to our back line. He’s a classic organizing CB…a steady presence, but not as good as Long in open field 1 v 1 defending…I think Hedges is a bit vulnerable in those situations, but his anticipation and awareness generally keeps him out of those unfavorable situations. Depends what kind of relationship he had with Luchi…if it was favorable, we have a legit shot to bring him in.

6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I'd rather pick Long over Hedges but I'd be happy with either one of those guys. Hedges has an issue with faster forwards but his height, positioning and organization is something we need. Rodrigues speed off Hedges would be good. Long is much faster than Hedges and his ball handling is also better. Especially if we will play a press soccer like Luchi's Dallas team did. I'm curiously optimistic.

Conrad did get some spot starts at CB but mostly played RB for Yallop. Lost his spot to Ibsen in 01, then got it back by playoff time. Also started at Right Back in 02, then traded to KC so we could get Waibel.

He excelled at CB though with KC/Nats.

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Forgot about the Luchi / Dallas angle with Hedges. That’s probably why our hat is in the ring.

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Let’s face it - at this point any Nats defender would be a huge upgrade for us…

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Hedges is yet another rightie, which means if we signed him we’d have 4 righties and one leftie at CB. And we have a pressing need at LB depth as well (and please no Beason as LB) not to mention no leftie wide mids that I can think of offhand. Maybe we can tilt the PPP pitch a bit to the right.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Walls and Beason left footed center backs

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Beason is the one I called out. I didn’t include Walls because I don’t think he has a realistic chance of getting minutes of any significance this year. Nathan, Rodrigues, Hedges (if signed), Agren all righties.

Didn’t matter so much when we were not a “play out of the back” team. But we’ve been “play out of the back” for a while now and I don’t expect that to change. I think it’s part of the club “methodology” at this point.

12. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    It wouldn’t surprise me if Luchi plays Walls more minutes than Beason this year. I’m not saying he’s better but I suspect that there will be an emphasis on development of the Quakes’ academy players. Luchi came for that reason. Watch for Emi Ochoa to play in Open Cup games.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  13. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard Ochoa wants to leave for Mexico at some point soon. I'm not putting Amy stock into Ochoas long term plans here.

I would prefer Walls to Agren and Beason for sure.

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I would be surprised, but could happen.

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Not sure but this might be the last year on his contract. I haven’t heard about an extension or option pickup. I bet they want to give him a bigger shot than Jacob Akanyinge had to prove his talent. Also, in addition to being big and left footed, he was born in England so that makes him much more valuable to sell on than a guy like Beason.

JazzyJ repped this.
  16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Wouldn't be a bad idea to see if he's better than Beason. I think we know what Beason is by now - he's serviceable but will always be a bit slow and technically just OK, and his distribution is a bit sketchy - he's good for at least one really bad giveaway a game, like clockwork.

Still, if we acquire Hedges we have the problem that our top 3 CB's are all righties. Not that big of a problem but not great either for a team that wants to play out of the back.

17. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were focused on centerbacks. Jimmy played some centerback, but I remember him mostly playing rightback.

18. itscalvin

itscalvin Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Mar 31, 2022
    This would be a great season to see who will stay and who will leave because Beason, Agren, and Walls deserve minutes this year. Agren did alright when he played in his MLS debut, Beason is a decent CB, and Walls has yet to get his chance, but he is the best defender easily in the MLS Next Pro team, so I believe he deserves some chances. I remember Beason needed a season to acclimate to MLS, so I have faith Agren will be the same. Hell, maybe we will not even need Rodrigues on permanent if even one of these 3 turns into a solid CB by midseason.
    As much as I like Nathan's chaotic playstyle, I do not think it fits us it is just too aggressive and unnecessary. Like to play with Nathan, we will need two other CBs and 2 CDMs to make sure we are covered. I remember a comment a fan said, but they said it is almost like we need to have one of those backpacks with a leash attached to it that you put on the children so they do not run off too far.
    I know everyone is looking at Aaron Long, and we are rumored to be interested in Matt Hedges (which would be awesome) but has anyone also checked out Alexander Callens? He is a potential free agent, and he plays with trauco on the national team, where he plays as a LCB. wouldn't mind us checking him out as well.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I am more bullish on Ågren than Beason. I think he's better than Beason already. He's quicker and better with the ball at his feet.

20. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Callens is solid, he's not as good as Long or Hedges but he's better than Rodrigues, Nathan, Beason, Agren and Walls.

Yep same reason I kept Waibel and Roner out of the discussion.

21. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we would sign Alex Alegria formerly of Real Betis. He would be a great DP Striker for us.

22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #8647 bsman, Dec 10, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    I wonder if it's possible to determine the number of players who have been Clash and/or MLS Quakes players? Over almost 30 years, it's probably staggering. There's a list with about 220 on Wiki but I don't think it's definitive and is certainly not current. Just early morning ponderings...

23. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wikilist isnt current it hasn't been updated in many years.

I have a full database I made on my computer I'll share it later today. It's got literally everyone in a comprehensive spread from draft picks, trailists etc.

bsman repped this.
  24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I’ve been curious - in 25 years with the Quakes - how many guys I saw. It’s sort of amazing, when you think about it.

25. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen them all myself so you've probably seen even more. But I suffered through every game the first 19 years of existence including very bad scrimmages and pre season game. Some very very very bad stuff. 2005 Wondolowsmi and reserves were pretty hard to watch too. Wondo reallllly sucked in 2005. You hear them yelling at him a lot to stay on his feet, pass and cover.

bsman repped this.